Any thoughts on Adelaide weather?

apple

Hi all, I am currently researching Adelaide as a place to live when i move to OZ hopefully 2013. Adelaide looks like a beautiful place to live but am not sure what winter months are like? Has anyone experienced Adelaide in winter or summer? I have read a few threads regarding this but am searching for some 1st hand experience. Thanks

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Hi Apple! Adelaide is gorgeous! We came for a visit 2 years ago in the middle of summer, and although it never reached the 40's, it was high 30's and we found it lovely!

We arrived to settle down 7-8 weeks ago now, in the middle of winter, and it was chilly. But I don't think it ever got below 0, and I can't remember seeing any frost at all. I have spoken to a few Australians who have never seen snow in their lives!

Yeah its cold in the nights, but nothing either heating or a few extra layer of clothes cant solve!

Considering it's approaching 20oC and we're still in winter, and in the UK it's 18oC and middle of summer, I think that says a lot! :biggrin:.

Guest Damien
Hi Apple! Adelaide is gorgeous! We came for a visit 2 years ago in the middle of summer, and although it never reached the 40's, it was high 30's and we found it lovely!

We arrived to settle down 7-8 weeks ago now, in the middle of winter, and it was chilly. But I don't think it ever got below 0, and I can't remember seeing any frost at all. I have spoken to a few Australians who have never seen snow in their lives!

Yeah its cold in the nights, but nothing either heating or a few extra layer of clothes cant solve!

Considering it's approaching 20oC and we're still in winter, and in the UK it's 18oC and middle of summer, I think that says a lot! :biggrin:.

It's great to see a comment like that. You soon forget what the UK throws at you in winter. Now we check the weather and think bugger, bloody freezing tomorow, only gonna be 13 degrees and then we wonder what we are doing here! I work in shorts all year, was even 11 miles out to sea in shorts and t shirt earlier this month (yeah the locals think I'm mad)

Guest moonraker1959

Hi I've lived in the burbs and out in the country.Its warmer in the burbs for obvious reasons,you're insulated by buildings and tarmac.Ok so you're in the UK and you look at the temp in Adelaide (say mid winter in Adelaide)and its 13c-14c?You might assume its not too bad actually,and yes its right to think that way.But!When you live there,and you become acclimatised,13c-14c is cold.My sister was on skype the other day(she lives in the burbs of Adelaide)and she was wearing(yes inside)a thick jumper AND coat(jacket type)because she felt so cold.When you experience summer temps of 30c+ 13c-14c feels cold!!!!You also have to remember houses don't have central heating either,so you might have a gas fire on in the loungeroom,but the rest of the house is freezing.When I lived in a country town,yes we had below zero,hard frost,and yes even snow one year,and I pretty much had the woodburner on 24/7.

Hey Apple, put it this way it's no where near as bad as a UK winter, but as our first winter here, it has been far worse and longer than we were expecting. Cold and wet, so again you find yourself getting stuck indoors and unable to plan anything as the weather can change quickly. Some say dress to the weather, we say piffle, we did that in the UK. Have been chatting to a couple of different people in other states as well, trouble is everyone says the weather is better where they are, and everyone here we've spoken to says here is best. Have to admit though, if the suns not out we're not interested. So based on a year here 50% good 50% bad, which is up 50% good from UK.