Advice needed please...

Growler

Hi, were just looking at what to bring with us as we know things are alot more expensive over there. However, our washing machine, fridge etc have seriousley seen better days and are not sure what to bring with us and not. Can anyone offer their experiences? Also is there a website that someone can recommend so i can have a look at the cost of things (a reasonable website in adelaide) so i can get a better idea? One more question, is a top loader much worse than a front loading washing machine? Would i be able to get a single quilt in it etc? All these questions lol, many thanks!!!!

Hi, don't know the condition of your items, I.e washing machine and dryer. From what I understand reading some threads,they advised you bring as many of your stuff as u can...things cost a lot in Oz guess due to high import duties. I recently shipped my items to Oz,even including my car in a 40 ft container...I guess other POI who are in Oz already will give u more suggestions..good luck with that!

Hi Growler

Is there something like Freecycle in Adelaide?

http://uk.freecycle.org/

It seems to me that one needs to balance the cost of shipping elderly white goods against the likely cost of buying second-hand ones in the new location, that would do to be going on with until one has found one's feet properly etc.

Growler, my Aussie sister used to swear by her top-loading washing machine. I was always suspicious of it because I reckon that the paddles in them have the potential to do far more damage to fabrics than just tumbling the fabrics around in a front-loader is likely to cause. Agitation of the fabric is the only thing that actually washes anything in a washing machine. (You should hear Ruth Goodman, the historian, on the subject! She has melted animal fat and mixed it with caustic soda and the whole bit as part of her experiments with the things that used to go on! According to Ruth Goodman, modern detergents deliver smell but they do not deliver anything that will actually clean the fabrics. She said that she had not used anything except water in her own washing machine for over 3 years. Mmmm. I decided that that takes purity a bit too far, so I've compromised with half a capful of washing machine liquid instead of a whole capful. Ruth Goodman is actually right. Reducing the amount of surfactant - which is all that it actually is - makes no difference to the eventual cleanliness. It just makes me feel better because I like the scent!)

Yes, you can definitely put a single quilt into a top-loader. The drum is usually larger than the drum in a front-loader beause one does not have to wedge a top-loader under a work-surface. If it were me, I'd put a king-sixed quilt into a top-loader and see whether the lid will still shut.

My sister's top-loader eventually died of old age after 25 years of regular use, so she now has a front-loader instead. She is less pleased with the new front-loader. That does not respond as readily to hubby crawling around with a spanner as the old one used to, she says!

Cheers

Gill

Hi, were just looking at what to bring with us as we know things are alot more expensive over there. However, our washing machine, fridge etc have seriousley seen better days and are not sure what to bring with us and not. Can anyone offer their experiences? Also is there a website that someone can recommend so i can have a look at the cost of things (a reasonable website in adelaide) so i can get a better idea? One more question, is a top loader much worse than a front loading washing machine? Would i be able to get a single quilt in it etc? All these questions lol, many thanks!!!!

Are you paying for sole use of a container or for space in a shared container? If you have sole use of a container and they will fit in them bring them with you. You may need to replace them sooner rather than later but it will be one less thing to have to sort out Nd pay for as soon as you get here. If you are paying for cubit feet in a shared container then it might not be worth bringing them. Good places to check for prices of replacements are Harvey Normans, The Good Guys and Radio Rentals. I don't have links but you should be able to google them.

The front loader verses top loader is a bit of a personal preference thing really. My mother in law swears by her top loader but I much prefer my front loader. Different washing machines will have different sized drums so what you would be able to get in will depend on the size of the drum. You can buy both front loaders and top loaders in Australia. Most houses in Australia have a seperate laundry with plenty of space for what ever washing machine you want to put in there.

Hey Growler, one of the best things we ever did was to bring everything with us. Some of our stuff would probably have been well placed down the local tip, but if they work and do their job bring them. They don't take up enough space in a container to worry about. Remember you'll be arriving in a strange place, so its not just the money to buy new goods, its the logistics of finding where to buy from and getting stuff delivered. You'll have more than enough to keep you occupied without the hassle of searching out new stuff. We've been here just over a year and our old whitegoods are still going strong, but we are now well settled and know where to go and buy everything. We recently treated ourselves to a new sofa, but the old one did its job till then. You'll also find when you arrive they fit a tap to your bank account which they open full bore, and money pours out just like water. Our vote would be to stay with front loading machines, there's a reason top loaders went out of fashion in UK, their crap. Happy travels.

Guest thestewarts912

hi growler

We brought over our washer but due to the container taking so long to get here we had to go and buy a washer any way and its a front loader.We did indoor camping in our long term rental for 4 weeks so it was fantastic to see the container being unloaded on the drive lol. Our fridge was on its last legs after 4 previous moves so we skipped it. We bought a sofa off gum tree cos we were fed up sitting on the floor and camping chairs. I think in hindsight i would have tried selling my white goods before shipping cos we had to buy stuff any way and now ive a dishwasher and washing machine sitting in the garage doing nothing. Hope that helps.

max

Guest RobJ1978

Hi,

We didn't bring our washing machine or fridge freezer, to replace them cost about $1000.

We also have got a lot of furniture from haggle http://www.haggleco.com.au/ i don't know what people think of it but we love it. We got a queen bed, dining table 6 chairs, sofa (recliner) 2 chairs (both recliner) two light tables and TV unit and delivery for $2000. Its decent stuff and they knocked loads off...just have to say 'whats the best price for.....'.

Hope this helps...

Nic

We got rid of our white goods and bought more when we got here got a top loader from someone off PIA for $50, now buying a front loader for $300 ish- for us it made more sense to ship boxes and buy things here gradually as the $$ came in.

Hi, have you thought about the concept of negotiating on your rental agreement? eg. will rent for extra dollars if white goods supplied. few landlords will do it, but you can always ask. Like someone said, rather risky bringing items acrossed that are already old.

There are lots of places to get cheaper electrical.

You can sometimes can buy display models from harvey norman or the good guys and take from the shelf..., HN have a warehouse store on south road richmond, theres a cheap electrical place on tapleys hill road seaton, or better still online. onlineappliances, cheapbargains, clarkes auctions or ebay. seconds stores on port road and around the place too. Just need to look.

Forget the hassle of the container and just bring your shorts. you can buy thongs when you get there....

ps. mum likes her top loaders, us kids like our front loaders, and im in asia currently where they are mostly top loaders here for cheap rentals due to price only.