New baby ... Dual citizenship ?

Guest Missymoo3

Guest Missymoo3

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or not.

I had my baby girl 6 months ago and I have tried to find information on dual citizenship for her. I got told over the phone that I have to apply for it but hubby got told she will automatically get dual citizenship.

Can anyone give us any information please.

And also how you went about applying for bubs passport, UK/AU? And how much it cost?

Thanks in advance :wubclub:

Guest bubbe2005
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or not.

I had my baby girl 6 months ago and I have tried to find information on dual citizenship for her. I got told over the phone that I have to apply for it but hubby got told she will automatically get dual citizenship.

Can anyone give us any information please.

And also how you went about applying for bubs passport, UK/AU? And how much it cost?

Thanks in advance :wubclub:

It doesn't matter which parent has British citizenship, the child will automatically be a dual citizen.

I found this about the passport:

http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/

If you click on 'Regional Passport Processing Centre'

it will bring you to this page:

http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/australia

Child Passport

• Child passport (32 pages) - $201.32\

This link tells you what documents you need to apply for the child passport.

http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports-old/applying-in-australia/checklists

p.s. when our baby was born here in the US (hubby american and me British) I applied for a 'UK birth registered overseas certificate'

I applied for her UK passport and the documents I had to send were, my original long form UK BC, my baby's UK registered overseas BC, baby's US BC, and a copy of my British passport, a copy of hubby's US passport, plus the fees, this may be different though to you when applying for a UK passport for your little one.

Edited by bubbe2005

Guest bubbe2005

Missy;

I just read this:-

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/births-deaths-marriages-civil/registering-a-birth

it saysExceptions

Please note that, because of their close links to the UK and documents being issued in English, we can’t register births which occurred in the following countries:

• Australia
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Republic of Ireland
  • South Africa
  • The British Overseas Territories

The standard of registration in these countries is similar to that of the UK.

We also can’t register a birth if the parents were born overseas and are only British by descent. Nor can we register the birth of a non-British child who has been adopted by British parents.

Edited by bubbe2005

What status do you have in Australia atm? Permanent, temp visa or citizenship gained? I think that can make a difference as to if your child can hold Aus citizenship. I recall doing some reading on it a while back.

As for UK citizenship, if you or hubby are a UK citizen (and meet the requirements these days) then you simply need to apply for a childs passport and send off the correct documentation to NZ. IIRC its things like childs birth certificate, your UK passport/birth certificates etc to back up the application and so on.

Guest bubbe2005
What status do you have in Australia atm? Permanent, temp visa or citizenship gained? I think that can make a difference as to if your child can hold Aus citizenship. I recall doing some reading on it a while back.

As for UK citizenship, if you or hubby are a UK citizen (and meet the requirements these days) then you simply need to apply for a childs passport and send off the correct documentation to NZ. IIRC its things like childs birth certificate, your UK passport/birth certificates etc to back up the application and so on.

so if one went to Australia on a student visa, ended up getting pregnant, baby born in Australia, that's not enough for the child to have Aussie citizenship?

so if one went to Australia on a student visa, ended up getting pregnant, baby born in Australia, that's not enough for the child to have Aussie citizenship?

I double checked the Aus immigration website and it doesn't appear to be unless you or your partner are on permanent visas. It would appear your child needs a visa also from what I can work out if you are on temp visas. Baby will take on your visa status then, so temp if its temp.

The blurb says

Children born in Australia automatically acquire Australian citizenship if at least one parent is an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the child's birth.

ETA - If the father was an Aussie then yes, baby would gain citizenship from what I can gather. But if mother was on a temp student visa and the father was also on a temp visa then no, baby would not automatically gain citizenship.

Edited by snifter

Guest Missymoo3

My husband and I are permenant residents and have lived here for 2 years now. My husband got told our daughter is automatically a dual citizen. She has an Australian birth certificate.

My husband and I are permenant residents and have lived here for 2 years now. My husband got told our daughter is automatically a dual citizen. She has an Australian birth certificate.

That should be correct then as I understand it.

For UK passport iirc, its not actually applying for citizenship for the UK, just the passport as there is no separate citizenship application that I recall. It should be straightforward. Correct documents are needed to send in along with application. There are links for more reading off of this one.

http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/what-passport/children-under-16/