End Of 475 Visa

Guest rhodieboy

Have a read of the Aus immigration page on the 475. From my reading if you've met the requirements you can apply for PR

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/475/how-the-visa-works.htm

This visa allows you to live and work or study in a Specified Regional Area in Australia for up to three years.

See: Specified Regional Areas

This is a 'provisional' visa. After you have lived in a Specified Regional Area in Australia for at least two years, and worked full time for periods totalling at least one year, you can apply for permanent residence.

See: Pathways to Permanent Residency

Note: If you need more time to meet the residence and/or employment criteria for a permanent visa, you may be eligible to apply to extend your visa.

See: Existing Provisional Visa Holders

I'd have a good read of everything there and see where you stand after you've read it all :)

When my Visa expires in September 2013 do I have to leave Australia or does it mean I cannot travel outside of Australia?

What about eligibility to work?

Thanks

Simon

I might be missing something here but surely you know the conditions of the visa you've got, don't you? When someone first starts thinking of migrating, the various visa types are confusing, but once you get to the point of applying surely you need to understand what the deal is for the one you're going for! :eek:

The answer to the question is that when a 475 expires you have to leave the country unless you've got matters in hand like an extension, a bridging visa or a permanent visa.

Jim

We came on a 475 visa and after our 2 year qualifying period applied for an 887 PR visa, which is specially for this type of circumstance. We got it granted within a week, didnt need any further medicals, and didnt need to leave the country to validate the new visa. It cost about $300. Did it all online in an afternoon - dead easy.

We can apply for citizenship next year when we have been here for four years.

Guest rhodieboy

Hi Jim;

Thanks for the feedback, I was aware of the official line what I was unsure of was the bits that are not commonly publicised. You mention a bridging Visa could you elaborate please as I was told I would need a new Visa 487 because my 475 will expire before I have completed the full two years here

Simon