Hello, I'm feeling really overwhelmed...

Guest Xhako

Hello, Just joined the forum.

Sorry if the answer is posted elsewhere, but...

HB and I are looking to re-locate to Adelaide, he is applying for jobs (civil engineering) from here, I have 20+ years office admin experience and employment history.

We have a few thousand tucked away and HB is in the type of work where they would pay his and my relocation costs.

There are so many things to consider and I would love it if someone could point me in the direction of a to-do list or other useful websites.

We want to bring our dog, we don't have kids. So far I have booked an appointment with the vet to check if the dog is healthy but I am concerned about the side effects from the rabies vaccine.

Does anyone have a blog or something I could read with links?

There are so many things to worry about and organise but we are determined to give it a try!

GAK!!! :chatterbox:Information overload

Thanks for your help in advance

Guest The travelling brummie's

Hello,

Have you ever been to Adelaide? Its a great place to live and a great city to find work but was wondering if you had ever been there?

secondly, your HB is in the position where his company would relocate him? So alot of the hard work you would get help with from his company? thats a brilliant start and also the worry that alot of people have is looking for work when you arrive at least that would be a weight off your minds!

Good luck with everything! Its a move you wont regret!

Never been to Australia never mind adelaide! Just looking for a new adventure.

My main worry is the dog. Silly really but we've no kids so he is very spoilt with attention.

Selling up within a time frame is worrying too

Thanks for posting

Hi there,

If you take it all one step at a time it's far less overwhelming. There's a good pre-departure checklist here that really helped us:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/content/15-emigrating-checklist-departure.html

Your priority at the moment is probably your husband getting the job, which would sort out visa, relocation and timeline for you. I don't know about pets & quarantine etc but there are lots of lovely people on here who know all about bringing pets over! Also if you're going to sell your house you may want to start looking at anything you need to do to the house before selling.

One really good tip I read here was to get a notebook and write everything in it that you need to do/that occurs to you to do. Then look at it every day and tick off what you've done or remind yourself of what needs to be done. This really helped me, it stopped me worrying that I was forgetting to do things. The notebook went everywhere with me for months before we left and I'm still using it! Any tips I read on PIA that I thought might be useful I also wrote in. It really helps prevent those sleepless nights!

Adelaide is a lovely place, and well worth the stress it takes to get here!

Best of luck,

Sinead

Thanks guys, that is all very helpful indeed. Took the dog to the vet yesterday for his vaccinations, he seems fine so far, the vet said side effects are not likely and he was very confident about using the drug itself so that's one thing done...

Just have to take it one step at a time...