Applying for citizenship

ladycasper

Hello All,

After having filled so many forms in for the provisional visa 5 years ago and then after 2 years resident here in Australia, applying for permanent residence, we are so over forms !!

Just wondered if anyone has recently applied for Citizenship and if you are willing for me and others to share the final steps in this long journey !!

I can see there is an online form to complete, is a lot required ? how long does it take and what are the steps ? also so you have to apply for an Australian passport ? what are the benefits of all this and can you still keep an British passport ??

Thanks kindly for your help and sharing :)

Lynne

I know the answer to holding both Aus and UK passports is a yes. You can be a dual citizen.

As to benefits, depends if you ever return to the UK to visit (or maybe to live again) and/or if you plan to have children (or have them already) I guess would be the things that would cross my mind.

Our son is a dual citizen as hubby is an Aussie and I am a Brit. Gives him options when he is older for sure. And means he can come and go anywhere in the EU on his UK passport. And obviously can enter and live in Aus on his Aus one (and NZ also is more of an option for an Aus pp holder).

Hi Lynne

I haven't applied for citizenship but my husband and kids all have dual citizenship so I can answer some of your questions. You can have citizenship without a passport but if you want to travel out of the country and back again you will need a passport as it is a legal requirement for Australian citizens to travel in and out of the country on an Australian passport. This isn't always strictly enforced and people will tell you they've travelled without an Australian passport loads of times but it is a requirement. You can still keep your British passport. The benefits are you become entitled to come and go from Australia freely and would be able to access Australia consular help when abroad if needed. It makes you eligable to vote in Australia and you also become eligable for certain government jobs that are only open to Australian citizens.

Changes to the citizenship residence requirement on 1 July 2010

The general residence requirement is one of the eligibility criteria you must meet to apply for Australian citizenship. The residence requirement is specified in the Australian Citizenship Act 2007.

It is based on the length of time:

• you have lawfully lived in Australia
  • you have spent outside Australia
  • you have been a permanent resident.

What is the change?

From 1 July 2010 all citizenship applicants will need to meet this residence requirement at the time they apply for Australian citizenship.

• You must have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying, including 1 year as a permanent resident, and
  • You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 1 year during the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying.

Edited by jtct

I think the wonderfully named, ladycasper has been here for four years.

All the best with your citizenship, we'll be going for ours in about a year.

Cheers,

Cooler

Why thank you Coolerking you also have a very attractive catchy name :)

Yes Arrived Sept 2008 so just over 4 years...

Thank you all for your help and replies, much appreciated :)

More forms.......to fill in and more dish to lash out lol