Pet Quarantine

Guest alex27

Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone has experience leaving their pet in quarantine upon arrival in oz? We are starting all of our dog's paperwork and testing now.

We are sooo upset about leaving him in quarantine-he is like out baby. It is worrying us so much!! Anyone who can offer us any reassurance...advice would be much appreciated!

We are currently living in South America and wondering if we have to have all of his papers from the vet translated...does anyone know anything about this?

Thx so much for any help you might be able to provide!!

A

Hi A, we totally understand, we were exactly the same with our two dogs. Did you know there are no quarantine facilities in Adelaide?We opted for the Spotswood quarantine centre in Melbourne as it is smaller than the Sydney one. It meant a further flight for our dogs but we used a company once we arrived in Oz called Dogtainers who assisted door to door. They were excellent. Neither had experienced kennels ever before but we minimised their stay by making sure all the rabies jabs and blood tests were done within the timescale needed. Not sure what the requirement is for South America so you need to check that out. One of our dogs required some vet attention after a couple of weeks but they were very good in responding to her needs fast and the vet communicated with us immediately, but make sure you build in some funds for the unexpected just in case. Both of our dogs have been here a week now and have settled really well. It is hard putting them through the process because as you say they are like your babies, but it is SO worth it. We also used a natural calming medication that the airlines allowed called Zylkene and continued whilst in the kennels to calm them down. Hope this helps. Good luck - H x

We used the Sydney quarantine centre and they were also excellent. Our dog Trevor also became unwell whilst there but the staff were great and moved him to a quieter, air conditioned kennel to help. We also used a company that will go and visit your pet several times a week whilst they're in quarantine, they take pictures of your animal and take them little treats and take them for walks around the grounds of the centre. We still hated every minute he was away from us but made up for it when he finally joined us again!

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your replies. We are planning to stay in Sydney while our dog is in quarantine and wait for him to be released before we make any further plans. We have friends there we can stay with. The thought of leaving him in there for a month is so hard to even think about...but I wouldn't leave him behind and we can't give up our Australian dream....I mean we love him, but he is still a dog after all lol.

From what I've read on the sites it seems that the dogs can only be booked into the yard twice a week for half an hour...I hope this is a mistake...I can't imagine they leave the dogs in cages almost the entire time...but perhaps I'm being naive!

I can't believe the costs involved...our dog was a street dog here...the most expensive street dog in south America! Lol

Thanks again for your help

Thank you so much for your replies. We are planning to stay in Sydney while our dog is in quarantine and wait for him to be released before we make any further plans. We have friends there we can stay with. The thought of leaving him in there for a month is so hard to even think about...but I wouldn't leave him behind and we can't give up our Australian dream....I mean we love him, but he is still a dog after all lol.

From what I've read on the sites it seems that the dogs can only be booked into the yard twice a week for half an hour...I hope this is a mistake...I can't imagine they leave the dogs in cages almost the entire time...but perhaps I'm being naive!

I can't believe the costs involved...our dog was a street dog here...the most expensive street dog in south America! Lol

Dogs are not just kept in cages. They'll have a kennel and small run area to move about in.

Honestly, I know it sounds harsh, but your dog will probably cope better than you will. I'd suggest not visiting while he is in quarantine as it can be confusing and upsetting for the dog and you. If you want to book a dog walker to take him out a couple of times a week I'd look at doing this rather than you visiting yourself and then leaving him there again after each visit. Let him have his month and then go get him to start his new life in Aus with you.

Hi snifter,

Thx for your response...my OH thinks what you suggest is a good idea. I think I am probably being over emotional about this.

it's so hard tho...

I think you are, but thats ok. Just don't let it overrule the common sense side of things and put your dogs needs ahead of yours for the month he is in quarantine and stay away and let the dog walker visit him. They'll also send you pics, give you reports of how he is doing and so on so you'll know things are ok. I really do think it will do more harm than good you going to visit him only to have to leave him behind after a visit and back in his kennel. He'll wonder what he did wrong for you to leave him. But if you just leave him to get on with it and go pick him up at the end, you'll have the most happy dog who'll you'll be able to take away with you.

Really, be practical and know they'll take good care of him. Us humans are very good at putting our emotional feelings on to dogs or thinking they think and feel the same way as we do. They don't. So don't fret overly, find a good dog walker and let them do their thing and the quarantine kennel also.

Ha! When you've shipped your dog to the UK and then shipped him back again 8 weeks later, then we can talk about the most expensive dog!