Cars

Guest ali@51

Guest ali@51

Hi All,

has any one looked into cars in oz. We currenty have a kia sedona (carnival) and we would quite like another one over there. However does anyone know if a 4x4 would be more suitable. OH is snake(ant, spider,shark,jellyfish etc) phobic so he has no intention of being within sight of any bush land!!! Also any hints on reducing (or allternatively for my enjoyment cranking up :twisted: :twisted: ) his anxiety levels.

ali.

Ali,

In UK I drove a Ford Galaxy but they don't have them here in Oz so I opted for a Kia Carnival, I've had it just over 2 years and wouldn't swap it for all the tea in Chine (and I drink a lot of tea :D )

A 4x4 is great if you intend to go out bush or beach driving but in my opinion for normal use they're not really needed.

Afternoon Ali,

My Carnival has 7 seats, 2 front, 2 middle and a solid (all or nothing) back seat, the new Carnivals have 2 front, 3 middle, 3 back (60/40 split).

The only problem I found (bought mine second hand) was trying to find a manual, not many of them around. Mine is great on fuel, I use it twice a day for the school run plus we do loads of running round on a weekend too and I've found $50. of fuel each week is plenty and Trev hasn't moaned about the cost of insurance either so I guess that must be good also.

Check out

http://www.kia.com.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=23960

Guest dglamoore

Hi Ali

We have been really really lucky and have bought a car before we arrive from a lovely couple :wink: but you can get lots of info and a guide to what is available and prices on here - http://www.drive.com.au/

We opted for a 4x4 as want to be able to access all areas :shock: :lol: and I have a bit of a car phobia so feel safer in something a bit more chunky 8)

Lisa :D

Guest ali@51

HI Again (will try not to rhym this time)

Have looked at this sight and I love my kia over here to, and will be sad to see it go. We might speak to kia and see if we can part ex over here but collect over there but I guess that might be a little hopefull :? :? . Hope springs eternal though. :roll:

ali

Guest pasha

well magna's have traditionally crap resale value so you can pick a cheaper one up and feel patriotic at the same time!!!

although i did have one breakdown at Gepps Cross intersection a few years ago (very busy junction) so not absolutely enamoured with them

Guest muppetbro

talking of cars whats insurance gonna be like for us - i guess no years claims bonus etc etc like a first timer so is it gonna be hurting my wallet ?

mart

Guest dglamoore

You might be surprised with the insurance. We got an online quote for insuring a 4x4 landcruiser in oz and it is less per year than we are paying in the UK for a Rover 420i :lol:

Nicely surprised - and that was with no no claims.

Lisa :D

Guest simtrakyra

talking of car insurance, I took a letter to Oz with me from my previous insurer stating how many years no claims I had. The company I insured my car with in Oz honoured my no claims and gave me full discount. Some insurers won't though, but some will. Shop around. I found car insurance to be cheaper than in the UK, so I was more than happy.

Morning,

I just asked Trev how much our car insurance is for the Kia, he said it's $370 ish per year fully comp, named driver plus named spouse and includes window cover. Last year our eldest said she wanted to learn to drive so Trev asked how much to add a learner driver and was told no extra cost.

Our insurance is with Allianz and they honoured our no claims once we had written proof of it.

Oops,

Trev has just said the car insurance might actually be $270 ish, he thinks it's his motorbike that might be $370 ish but without looking at the paperwork (too early to do that) he isn't sure which way round the insurance costs are.

Guest muppetbro

blooggy hell - ive had my wife as a named driver for like 15 years cos of the cost of running two cars !!!

good news and thank you - im sure someone else will be taking the savings from car insurance of us elsehwere in the logistics :cry:

martin

Guest ali@51

The insurance sounds really good Ive just had my renewal £263 and thats with 12y+ no claims I do how ever have 3 points thanks to some little hittler hiding half way down a drive behind a tree on a step ladder :x:x:x:x:x:x still mad after 3years

ali

You'll have to watch that right foot here Ali, I drove for 20 year in UK without ever getting so much as a parking ticket, in the 2 1/2 years we've been in Oz I've managed to get 2 speeding tickets. The roads are much much slower here.

First one caught me doing 71 in a 60 zone (entering the highway), the second clocked me doing 103 in a 90 zone (on the highway).

I must point out that I don't think these are as bad as they sound as the roads here are KPH not MPH. Both got me 3 points and $150. fine each.

60KPH = 37MPH so the 71KPH the clocked me doing = 44MPH

90kph = 55mph SO THE 103KPH they caught me doing = 64MPH

Not exactly speeding by UK standards is it?

• 1 month later...
Guest A3RoX

Well i looked into it about car insurance and car prices, they have kia here but i am unsure about the model you want, in south australia you get 3rd party cover in with your regisation.

they dont have things like MOT and road tax here, i got a cheap car and i got 3 months reg and that comes with 3rd party cover and i only paid $170, as long as you keep the car registered you dont need to worry about RWC (mot) just keep getting it serviced once in a while.

You still have the choice for car insurance like fully comp but its up to you weather to take extra insurance out , i would get the extra insurance if you get a new car.

If you go for a make that is in europe expect to pay double the price, e.g the make vauxhal corsa (old shape) goes for about $4,000 here and in uk it goes for 300- 500 quid, vauxhall here is called holden, i think the corsa is called belina or something. if you go for australian makes they are cheaper.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but i asked at the register office and thats what they informed me when i went to get rego. i was so shocked when they said you only need to pay one fee and thats it.

Guest Django

60KPH = 37MPH so the 71KPH the clocked me doing = 44MPH

90kph = 55mph SO THE 103KPH they caught me doing = 64MPH

Not exactly speeding by UK standards is it?

Ok now this is my field. 8) :D

Playing devils advocate here...

Most police forces use a 10% plus 2 system to allow for discrepancies in speedos. Which means, if you were 'clocked' at 44mph you were probably going a bit faster than that. Even if you were doing 44mph take off 4.4 and add 2 that would still give you 41.6. 4.6mph still over the limit. If they quoted you at 44mph they probably clocked you at nearer 50mph. :(

You could agrue that you were not exceeding the limit by loads and I would agree. However there has to be a limit that is the maximum speed allowed otherwise everyone would be filling the courts with people arguing the toss as whether their speed was dangerous. If you don't exceed the limit you can't be prosecuted. If you do you know you can. Speed limits are set for roads no matter how many cars, houses or pedestrians are there at the time they also don't change no matter what time of day it is. If you choose to speed you know the risks.

Pete takes off devils advocate costume........ The jobsworth little %$£& did you for how much? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :x

Pete,

I was speeding I don't deny that but the roads are so much slower here than in UK and it's hard to readjust my brains conception of speed. My brain still drives in MPH and not KPH.

I just need to lose a little weight of my rather heavy right foot. lol

Guest Django
it's hard to readjust my brain

I'll have to find mine first :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Di I misread your post. The joys of having a 1 year old sitting on your lap at the time. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Pete

Guest A3RoX

yeah the roads are really slow here most of the place is 50km and it feels like you can jump out the car and catch it bk up again( that that i would give it ago) but people on push bikes seem to catch cars up :) :lol: thing is speed cameras in this country dont have to stand out and they are hard to see so its best to stick to the limits, you always see young Boy racers going left and right quickly trying to get the back end out, really acting like idiots when it rains.