Taking tools to Adelaide.

Guest dave&jacky

Guest dave&jacky

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had experiance of going to OZ on a 457 visa and having to do a 3 month trial period, this is what i have been offered and as long as i get through the TRA and visa application i will be going on my own to start with for 3months and Jacky will have to stay back in the UK she is not looking forward to it but she will put up with it if it gets us in to Adelaide:skeptical:

My question is how is the best way to take tools over with out going by ship, it would be mainly hand tools screwdrivers, spanners,hammer,hacksaws may be battery drill, electrical testing equipment. etc it would fit in a small suitcase,and i would need to have it for when i get there to start work?

Thanks in advance for any advice Dave.:idea:

Guest susanmary38
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had experiance of going to OZ on a 457 visa and having to do a 3 month trial period, this is what i have been offered and as long as i get through the TRA and visa application i will be going on my own to start with for 3months and Jacky will have to stay back in the UK she is not looking forward to it but she will put up with it if it gets us in to Adelaide:skeptical:

My question is how is the best way to take tools over with out going by ship, it would be mainly hand tools screwdrivers, spanners,hammer,hacksaws may be battery drill, electrical testing equipment. etc it would fit in a small suitcase,and i would need to have it for when i get there to start work?

Thanks in advance for any advice Dave.:idea:

Hi Dave

I have sent machine parts all over the world, your best sending your gear on air freight, should be plenty of companies in the yellow pages, they will advise you on the best ways and how to overcome customs issues.

Good luck, will be great to have a 3 month holiday with out the missus, I never thought of that[ only joking] all the best.

Dave n Sue

Guest dave&jacky

Hi Paul,

Thats what i have been told by the agent that is working for the firm who are offering me the job, i have had to do all the paper work for the TRA which i have now sent off to the agent and they have lodged it and they are now waiting for the result back, then they will put in the visa application in. I dont know if it is because i am over the 45 year limit and they think it will make it easier to get the visa?Did you not have to do the TRA?It may also depend on what trade/job you do what type of work do you do?

hi ya im going to adelaide on april 16th and im taking my snapon tool box and tool trolley in total £13,000 im taking it in a container with all my house stuff will post a note when i get there if i dont have any probs going though customs but have been told by the people sending it for me it will rapped up in cling film so customs can see what it is also it will be in a wooden crate

alex

Guest dave&jacky

Thanks alex,But because i am going for three months on a trial we wont be shipping anything to start with till i know that i have got the job,it looks like air fraight may be my best option.

Cheers Dave.

• 3 months later...
Guest deborah

I (Deborah's partner) have shipped equipment to Adelaide in the past.

You need to ensure the the crate you pack your tools in meets the Australian freight regulations.

I used a local (Sheffield) shipping/pallet/crate company, who ensured that the wood was of the right type and had all the correct stamps on it. Also it had to be completely lined with a waterproof paper.

I guess its all to do with not allowing any bugs/disease into the country.

Once I had filled to crate, I just got the best price from one of the major couriers to air freight it to Aus. I think it takes about a week.

Make sure you get the crate made just big enough, as the price quite often is based on the volume of the box, not the weight.

Guest dave&jacky

Thanks for that I need to get it sorted in the next week because i am flying out on the 6th of July and start work on the 14th.

good luck with all your plans.

Dave.

hi ya well im here now with all my stuff from uk and have taken delivery of my snap on tool box and trolley..it got though customs and inspection but when i saw it here the box and trolley was wrap in bubble wrap but the box was dropped on the wheels between uk and me getting it and now the wheels are bent :arghh: my trolley is scartched (paint white pearl color) i woundn't pack anything in wood as it will get stopped oh and dont hide anything in your stuff they will find it i was lucky i got loads of booze and english food though

alex

Guest dave&jacky

Hi Alex, Glad you got there ok sorry to hear about the trolley but i am not surprised, you took a chance with taking food in that could of cost you if they found it, i wont be far behind you i arrive in adelaide on the 8th of July got to get my tools sorted this week.

Good luck mate take care.

Dave.