Visa about to expire

Guest Inquisitive

Guest Inquisitive

Hi can anybody help please. We are a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children 14 and 16. We have a permanent 136 skills visa that is due to expire May 2013. We did spend several months in Adelaide but due to the lack of work we returned to the UK. We are considering returning. My first question is once we enter the country and the visa has expired, are we able to leave if an emergency arose. Both of our parents are elderly and all still alive and well. Not a nice thought but realistic. Also as we did spend time there a couple of years ago but retuned to the UK due to the lack of work (another story) would there be a problem re-entering within the time frame given? My final question relates to schools. My 16 year old has completed her GCSE's and has just started her A levels. Would she start school in year 11. She is 17 in July. Would my 14 year old, 15 in January be in year 10? Sorry, lots of questions but I know that PIA gives invaluable advice! Any will be gratefully received. Thank you.

:wink:

Guest vikkiann

With regards to worse case scenario with your parents wouldn't you qualify for a resident return visa if you've been here 3 months?

Our visas expire in August 2013 and we moved over n June this year.

I can't help you with the rest sorry!

If you are considering returning, have your job prospects improved since last time you came? The job market is very slow here, the worst I have seen it in the 6 years I have been here.

That's just what I was thinking. Some people find work easily enough (although it depends what you do and what you can afford to live on), but jobs are thin on the gound at the moment, especially if supporting a family.

Jim

Hi, i can't help with much, but we are in the same boat, we have been here for just a year & our visa has expired. we aren't about to be kicked out, but cant come & go now is our understanding until we get a return rsidents visa ( RRV ) . we have also been told, but don't know for sure, that you can't apply for a RRV until you have been here for 2 years !!? I also had the same worry as my parents are elderly & my Mum had been ill. happily she has recovered & is coming out to see us for Christmas :biggrin: so we are doing the other year & will hopefully get the RRV next year to visit her. Hope this helps ?

Guest Inquisitive
Regarding school years, your daughter would fit nicely into yr 11 and your 14 yo would be right for yr 10.

Hi everyone, doesn't look as if the work situation has improved. My husband is in the building trade and work was very thin on the ground a few years ago. We were hoping that the situation might have improved but the replies are implying otherwise. We loved Adelaide but I wouldn't want to be there at any costs. As we all know it is very expensive and with 2 teenage girls......With the building industry, it isnt about finding one job, its a continuous treadmill unless you are lucky enough to find permanent work. The rose tinted glasses are definitely off but like all parents, you think of the children's future. Last chance saloon!

Hi, i can't help with much, but we are in the same boat, we have been here for just a year & our visa has expired. we aren't about to be kicked out, but cant come & go now is our understanding until we get a return rsidents visa ( RRV ) . we have also been told, but don't know for sure, that you can't apply for a RRV until you have been here for 2 years !!? I also had the same worry as my parents are elderly & my Mum had been ill. happily she has recovered & is coming out to see us for Christmas :biggrin: so we are doing the other year & will hopefully get the RRV next year to visit her. Hope this helps ?

If you are in Australia and required a RRV, as long as you can show that you have ties to Australia, House, rental agreement, money in Bank, Job, Kids in School etc, and a reason why you needed to make the trip, you would likely be able to get the 3 month RRV if not eligible for 5 year one. Dont worry too much about it.