help needed on 457 visa health insurance

Guest AlliePallie

Guest AlliePallie

I am planning to move to Adelaide and I am currently processing my 457 visa. I was completing all my requirements when I stumbled upon this website: http://www.austhealth.com/457-visa-healthinsurance.php and it says here that I need to submit a health insurance policy certificate before my visa will be processed. I am from the UK, so I'm wondering if I am under any exemptions? Thanks guys!

No, you need to comply with the 8501 condition for you to be granted the visa, which states that you need adequate health insurance cover.

Being from the UK you are eligible for Reciprocal Health Care, you need to register to Medicare when you arrive in Australia. Being registered to medicare complies with the 8501 condition, but you cant apply until you are in Australia and have a visa.

So you need to show that you have health cover so the visa will be granted, once you have registered with medicare you can cancel your health insurance.