Adelaide to Sydney?

Guest wayneandlindsey

Guest wayneandlindsey

Hi,

My partner and I have now been living in Adelaide for nearly 5 months now after being granted a 495 using 1st Contact agents in London. Although things are going ok, we are looking into other options long term as Adelaide is a bit too small for us in terms of job opportunities. There are very few jobs for both myself and partner and its proved a lot harder than we thought to find work. Ideally we would like to move to the East coast to find more relevant employment (as it is I am working as a more junior graphic designer as there are no jobs for seniors, the employers don't want to pay the wages). We would like to go where there are more opportunities and wondered if there is any way we can transfer on our visa to the East coast. We are on a 495 visa which I know has a 2 year requirement. I would just like to know if a) there is anyway we can transfer to another state or b) change our visa in some way, ie. be sponsored by an employer in Sydney or Brisbane for example? Any advice would be most appreciated, or if you can suggest a web site that may help that would be great! Also, what happens at the end of our 2 years here? Am I right in thinking that the laws have changed and now the federal government is in charge of perm visas as opposed to the state gov? After our 2 years can we move to another state?

Thanks!

There is nothing to stop you getting sponsored by a company in Brisbane/Sydney and changing your visa as far as I am aware.

You are right there is no need to stay in SA once you have PR (after the 2 years residence in SA) that was removed in September 2007.

Lea

• 1 month later...

HI Guys

We are on a 495 visa and have been in Adelaide since Nov. I know what you mean about it being a bit small and the job thing came as a bit of a shock to us too, I was a Solicitor in the UK and have had to restudy and my partner is a Financial Planner had to restudy and has taken a pay cut.

I don't think that you can go anywhere else though you have to stay in Adelaide for 2 years and work for a year at least. We are in the city at the mo, are you still at Grange or have you moved away yet?

Stacey

x

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I have read on other forums thet is a "moral" obligation to stay here for the 2yrs, not a "legal" one.

sarah