Worried about the ankle snappers

likesshopping

Hi LIz....sorry I cant help with all the questions on oz life.....we're not going until august.....although have been to oz before - and they have everything we have.

Just thought id mention that there is a west midlands meet up with some of the families from this forum happening on april 21st - in bromsgrove...all the details are on the socialing section..........noticed that you're from birmingham.......Im going with hubby and our 2 daughters and from the sounds of things, there are many others with young children going.

We dont have any friends in oz, so are hoping to make friends before we go and keep in touch once over in oz.......think about coming along

sarahx

Guest betty22

HI Liz,

You will be fine. Can you drive?

There are plenty of nurseries and childcare facilities, sorry don,t know the cost. There are also lots of mums and tots clubs and play groups etc. where the kids can interact and mums have coffee and chats etc.

In the summer just think you can go to the beach or to the park and play.

There are plenty of soft play centres as well.(great in the winter)

You will be fine.

Liz

We left UK in November 2004, our youngest, Cheyenne, was 4 1/2 (5 the following april) so was already in part time primary school, when we arrived in Oz (Brisbane) we found they didn't start primary school until the year they turn 6 so I phoned a few pre-schools and decided against sending her because of the cost and the system, 3 days one week 2 days the following week then 3 days the week after and 2 days the week after that, basically alternate 2 days and 2 days every other week and the cost of each day was around $25. in some places and as high as $45. in others.

In Adelaide the school system is different I think but not sure how as Cheyenne was in full time primary school when we moved to Adelaide back in January.

Guest dglamoore

Hi

Our daughter is 4 and will have 4 half days sessions at kindy when we get to oz next month. There seems to be lots of different kindies and childcare centres in Adelaide.

The 4 sessions once they are 4 are free (well minimal school fees as per regular schooling in Adelaide) but anything before the age of 4 must be paid for. Not sure of childcare prices though sorry.

There seems to be loads of play areas too as Liz has said and lots of other mums to meet with :lol:

Lisa

Guest muppetbro

sarah we will be your friends :wink:

simple - we arrive august give us a shout and well share our worries albet our kids are school age so thats our first point of call to get them settled and mixing w ith local kids

ive already got potential meet with one brit family on arrival and two surfy locals - sow the seeds - im on www overdrive for the next 5 months to make every little worry less daunting

i just hope the removal company dont lose the crate with my wife packed in bubble wrap - no doubt she will arrive safely :wink:

mart

Thanks everybody! We know about the meet up in Bromsgrove next month and we'll definitely be there. We're hoping to make friends with lots of you before we go so that we can all meet up when we're all living in sunny Oz!

I can drive (not well, but that's another story...) but I'd like to keep driving down to a minimum when we get there. New country, new health regime!!

Guest happy-jools

Can anyone tell me exactly when the children start school in Adelaide.

Molly is 3, she will be 4 in July and will start school in September (in England).

When would she start school if and when we get to Adelaide.

Thanks Guys.

Guest dglamoore
Can anyone tell me exactly when the children start school in Adelaide.

Molly is 3, she will be 4 in July and will start school in September (in England).

When would she start school if and when we get to Adelaide.

Thanks Guys.

If this is any help Dawn will be 5 at the end of August and we emailed a school to get a start date and they told us Oct 16th for full time school :D

When Molly is 4 she would be able to go to kindy for 4 sessions a week though.

Lisa

Guest happy-jools

well thats a bloody shock to the system.

Now I will have to worry about childcare if we both get a job etc. If in Kindy do they have extended sessions that you could pay for etc.

Do they have childminders in Australia or do Australians just rely on daycare. Didn't expect to be leaving her so soon.

God Im panicking now.

I mean this could be premature as we may not get jobs straight away.