What paperwork to take with you

Guest Beth&Martin

Guest Beth&Martin

A question, one that has no doubt been asked before, but having looked around I can't find any reference to it.

It's three questions in one really:

I have read on here before that there are varying weight restrictions for your luggage, some people getting 20kg, some 30 and some even 40kg. I assume that's for your clothes and such. What I was wondering was what weight have people got for their hand luggage. We are thinking of going with Singapore Airlines.:unsure:

The second part of the question is; do you take all your documents you are going to need upon arrival in Oz in your hand luggage because if you put them in the container with your furniture etc you wouldn't be able to access them until the container was delivered to you a few weeks later, would you?:confused:

I thought about taking the following documents in the hand luggage, but if anybody can think of some more, could you let me know?

• Passport (of course)
  • CV and job references
  • qualification certificates
  • birth certificate
  • Marriage / divorce certificates
  • Last mortage statement
  • Bank account statement
  • credit references from bank / building society
  • car insurance proof of no claims discount
  • P45 from old employer
  • Medical records
  • Dentist records
  • Driving licence

I'm sure there are some i've not even thought about.

If you do take these in your hand luggage there's not going to be much room for anything else and it might be a bit weighty.

Thanks in advance. :)

Guest caoimhe

Hi Beth

The cabin baggage allowance for Singapore Airlines is

• Quantity : 1 piece *
  • Dimension : Length + Breadth + Height
    (including protrusions) must not exceed 115 cm (45 inches) in total subject to stowability.
  • Weight : Up to 7 kgs

Check In allowance is 20KG

Personally I would take any important documents that you may need straight away in hand luggage. I wouldn't trust any airline not to lose a bag and I spent 9 years working for Airlines :nah:

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:hi, do you know if you really need to take dental & doctors records, we dont have any health problems so i wasnt going to bother :unsure:

nicky

Hey,

We are flying with Singapore Air, and have in writing, that if you show an un-validated visa at check in for permanent residency they will increase the allowance to 40kg.

I am flying with all our personal documents, with the laptop.

As for docs and dentist records, i think as long as there no recurring medical probs there is no need for them.

Dan and Steph

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Save a sheet or 2 and dont bother with the dentist and doc records. If you have small kids just jot down the immunisations they have had.

sarah

Guest soggy

what visa are you going on, as Dan said with Singapore you get 40kg if your on a PR visa, not on a temp visa like us, we turned up with 86kg in 3 cases, when they said they were going to charge us excess baggage I put on an innocent face and said " I thought it was 40kg each if you were migrating" a quick look at our visas, she can't have been to sure but she allowed us 40kg, :) I like singapore:err:.

I doubt it affects you but I think it does a couple of other PIA members, the increased limit to 40 kg only applies to British passport holders, my wife and daughter are not British and at first were not going to get the increase, after a chat with a supervisor, as we were flying from singapore without a stop over they agreed to allow the extra baggage allowance. :)I like singapore:)

Simon

Guest stufi1997

Actually the allowance for temp visa has been a bit of a debate forever,but the aussie gov. has written to all the major air company's validating that it's still a migration visa and therefor should be treated the same as a perm res with the same 40kg allowance. I think you can access it thruogh the official au. site. We phoned about it and although we're not over yet they said it should be alright.???? i guess we'll soon find out.!!!!

Stu.

Guest soggy
Actually the allowance for temp visa has been a bit of a debate forever,but the aussie gov. has written to all the major air company's validating that it's still a migration visa and therefor should be treated the same as a perm res with the same 40kg allowance. I think you can access it thruogh the official au. site. We phoned about it and although we're not over yet they said it should be alright.???? i guess we'll soon find out.!!!!

Stu.

Thats good news, I phoned them before:) booking , sent them a very long email explaining that temp migration visas are still for migrating and then phoned them a week before flying and each time they said no, I guess the aus gov carries more weight than me!!

Simon

Guest stufi1997

Och well, worst case senario is.. we ditch a pile of worn clothes...buy new ones when we get there. After seeing what Cornelia was getting charged for excess baggage then it would be a whole lot cheaper to treat ourselves to a wee shopping spree!!

Stu.

Guest Nick11
Thats good news, I phoned them before:) booking , sent them a very long email explaining that temp migration visas are still for migrating and then phoned them a week before flying and each time they said no, I guess the aus gov carries more weight than me!!

Simon

We came on sir visa with singapore at the same time as a couple of friends of ours. They asked for an increase and got 30kgs each. I asked them and they refused point blank! So I e-mailed customer complaints asking why customers on same visa were being treated differently! Hey presto they gave us 30 kgs each.

Try that and see what they say.

We had 4 cases with 34 kg each and allowed it - did spend an hour at check in swapping clothes around. They never checked our hand luggage - we had 4 carry on cases over 15 kgs each!!!!!! I spent most of my time crying at check in and think they were glad to see the back of me!!!!!!!!

We bought med records for all of us and kids dental records. Had a carry on case full of docuements - very heavy!

BTW we sent another suitcase on a sep plane. It would have cost us 900quid to go on the same flight - but 200 quid on next days flight. Beware though they only take cash and its a sod getting it out of the airport - took over 4 hours going to quarintine, form filling etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stu.

Do you have any more detail on this? Is it only for Brits? I actually asked Air New Zealand about this, and they said they offer nothing extra for persons migrating.

Guest Bex & Nick

just a thought - could you scan your documents to PDF and save onto a disk? that's what we did and only brought a few v. essential original documents. the rest travelled by boat.

A question, one that has no doubt been asked before, but having looked around I can't find any reference to it.

It's three questions in one really:

I have read on here before that there are varying weight restrictions for your luggage, some people getting 20kg, some 30 and some even 40kg. I assume that's for your clothes and such. What I was wondering was what weight have people got for their hand luggage. We are thinking of going with Singapore Airlines.:unsure:

The second part of the question is; do you take all your documents you are going to need upon arrival in Oz in your hand luggage because if you put them in the container with your furniture etc you wouldn't be able to access them until the container was delivered to you a few weeks later, would you?:confused:

I thought about taking the following documents in the hand luggage, but if anybody can think of some more, could you let me know?

• Passport (of course)
  • CV and job references
  • qualification certificates
  • birth certificate
  • Marriage / divorce certificates
  • Last mortage statement
  • Bank account statement
  • credit references from bank / building society
  • car insurance proof of no claims discount
  • P45 from old employer
  • Medical records
  • Dentist records
  • Driving licence

I'm sure there are some i've not even thought about.

If you do take these in your hand luggage there's not going to be much room for anything else and it might be a bit weighty.

Thanks in advance. :)

hi there

i took details of my house that i sold in the uk, the estate agents particulars, as well as the last 4 years mortgage statements so when i rented they could see what house i had and that i hadnt fallen behind with any mortgage payments. i also took photocopies of passports,birth and marriage certificate and my other half had the copies, incase anything happened to my hand luggage!! i didnt take dentist or doctors records as they were going to charge me too much.

in the container i put details such as pension and life assurances. however, ever the organised i gave my mum and my mother in law copies of all our life assurance poilicys, pension details, wills and copies of passports,birth and marriage certificates. i also made my mum a third party on my bank account so she can operate it from the uk.

also i think if you have a will it is only valid for 6 months unde australian law, but dont quote me on it. i just know we are going to try and sort another one out.

i did take a years worth of electricity,gas,phone.water and council tax bills but i havent had to produce them to get connected. however i bet if i hadnt bought them i would have to have produced them:nah:

glad i took the no claims proof for the car though as i got full no claims given to me straight away no questions asked which was great.

hope that helps

jojo x

Guest Guzzler&Sas

hi there

great thread, not been asked for a while - nice to have something different to chat about.

Best advice we were ever given, was GET REFERENCES from people with standing in the local community - police, civil servants, teachers etc, who had visited your house and could provide a reference to say that the house was well kept, gardens maintained and so on because in a tight rental market, anything which puts you head and shoulders in front of other applicants will help. Our agent was very impressed with our references, along with our house sales particulars (already mentioned) and a recent bank statement/cash point slip (that day) to prove you have enough money in the bank to cover the rent each week.

And then just ditto what everyone else has said really.

All the best for now, hope it helps

Sas

xx

Guest Beth&Martin

Thanks everyone for your information so far; it's been helpful. That's one of my questions answered. All the information has been transferred into my "Oz little black book of information" . :GEEK: If anybody has still got further info regarding this, please keep it coming, I'm like a sponge, will soak it all up. Every little helps, as they say.

Cheers.:wubclub: