Life for 475 visa holders in SA

nevergiveup

Guest okshelly

It`s a pity nobody wrote anything about 475. We have also 475 and we are going to move to Adelaide in April, 2013. I have to find job ASAP, husband also. But our son who is to the moment of visa grant became 21 yers old, have no right to work. Because when we applied 4 years ago he was really a dependant. And now he will study full-time, I suppose in TAFE. He didn`t finish his bachelor`s course in Sweden but to transfer it to SA Uni doesn`t make sence - education for 475 holders is very expensive. So we are going to overcome difficulties on the way to PR. Hope for you with IT qualification this way will be easier.I especially worry about medicine which is not covered by Medcare and requires proper private insurance. For this moment I don`t know what to choose..

I`ve heard stories from Russians who moved to PR through 475 and it was Ok.

thanks okshelly for your reply...yes I have also heard 475 to PR transfer is smooth...i hope processes will not change drastically in next 2 years. Yes education for 475 holders is very expensive I also have a plan of doing an MBA but I will do it after getting PR / citizenship..I am also moving at the same time as yours please PM me ...See you in Adelaide :smile:

It`s a pity nobody wrote anything about 475. We have also 475 and we are going to move to Adelaide in April, 2013. I have to find job ASAP, husband also. But our son who is to the moment of visa grant became 21 yers old, have no right to work. Because when we applied 4 years ago he was really a dependant. And now he will study full-time, I suppose in TAFE. He didn`t finish his bachelor`s course in Sweden but to transfer it to SA Uni doesn`t make sence - education for 475 holders is very expensive. So we are going to overcome difficulties on the way to PR. Hope for you with IT qualification this way will be easier.I especially worry about medicine which is not covered by Medcare and requires proper private insurance. For this moment I don`t know what to choose..

I`ve heard stories from Russians who moved to PR through 475 and it was Ok.

This thread is for 475 visa holders in SA.Please share your experiences about settling down, job search , 475 to PR conversion process etc. So that all can benefit all. Is it easy for 475 holders to find full time work ?

If you have blogs or earlier links on this please share.

Our first year was difficult but that experience made me stronger. please bring enough money for initial 3-6 months, cloths and other necessary things.

you can either settle down at a friend's place or student apartment.

your IT experience needs to solid with relevant certificates but they may ask for local experience.

wishing you all the best...

Regards,

Dulip

Thanks evil_d ...Are TAFE courses helpful for getting employment ?

Our first year was difficult but that experience made me stronger. please bring enough money for initial 3-6 months, cloths and other necessary things.

you can either settle down at a friend's place or student apartment.

your IT experience needs to solid with relevant certificates but they may ask for local experience.

wishing you all the best...

Regards,

Dulip

Thanks evil_d ...Are TAFE courses helpful for getting employment ?

yes, they can help you get a 6 week job placement (will continue upon employer satisfaction) if you follow their course which is around $100 for 4 weeks.

Hi,

We (family of four) arrived on 475 visa in 2009. We were a bit worried before we arrived about the limitations of this visa but have to say we never encountered any. Both my husband and I found employment and neither of our employers even queried that we were only on provisional visas. We bought a house albeit we had to get FIRB permission but this was a very simple process. The only down side we encountered was that you are not entitled to any child care rebate, but we understood this from the start. I was surprised at how well Medicare covered us - we did take out health insurance, but we still have it now as permanent residents. Applying for PR was a simply on line process too. For us arriving on a 475 visa was not a problem, and we are now looking to become citizens and then we can hopefully close the book on all immigration procedures!

Good luck to all those making the move on any visa. For us it has been so worth it - although hard work, seeing how happy our children are (the main reason we did it in the first place) is more than justification.

US too. 475 never been an issue - we got jobs, rentals, bought land to build on, had a baby on medicare, and had a VERY easy switch to PR that only took a week!

It really isn't a problem unless you plan to do something that is outside the provisions of the visa.

Because you do most of the hard work when you apply in the UK (medicals, police checks etc) it is a simple and cheap ($200) process to get PR after the two years.

Don't worry about it, and no one else will. Adelaide has been very good to us in the 3 years we've been here.

RJECSAUNDERS & Jimjustin

Interesting feedback about medicare - we've been informed that we have NO medicare provision so we're having to get private insurance (we arrive on 475 at start of March). Is there some loophole or maybe the rules have changed?

Weegie

RJECSAUNDERS & Jimjustin

Interesting feedback about medicare - we've been informed that we have NO medicare provision so we're having to get private insurance (we arrive on 475 at start of March). Is there some loophole or maybe the rules have changed?

Weegie

Weegie, I'm sure someone will correct me but I'm sure all UK citizens are entitled to Medicare in Australia. The uk and Australia have some sort of Reciprocal Health Care Agreement. You would need extras cover if you don't want to pay for dental etc but I'm pretty sure private health insurance is not compulsory just because you have a 475visa.

Hope someone can answer that further.

Kelly.

Edited by Kel87

yes you are entitled to Medicare if you have UK passport or Irish passport and resident in N Ireland as was the case for my son when we went to Medicare one month ago.He has a Medicare card now which is for long term temp visa holders through reciprocal arrangements.This also covers the requirement of the visa that Health insurance needs to be held for the life of the visa.So basically take out temp insurance to cover you until you get here and go into Medicare and its simple.

Guest tigrisbd

Hi Nevergiveup,

Thanks for starting this particular thread as I am also a 475 visa holder, planning to make my first entry on May 18, 2013. You can see my visa details in my signature. I will keep watching/monitoring your experience/views bcz I am also from IT background.

I got my visa on Dec 19 , 2012 and planning to make final move on sometime in first quarter of 2014. Please keep posting.

• 4 weeks later...

To all,

I dont want to be negetive over here......but practically real life scenario is complete different. I jumped with joy when we got our visa.....now I wish we shouldn't have received our visa. Life is hell over here....cost of living is too high and no job yet. we are family of 4 now completing 4months in the SA but no job for both of us.......With over 15yrs experience I moved here, I am not getting even entry level job in SA. Practically No jobs here....even local Aussies are out of work for months. Local business are suffering and closing down everyday. My suggestion to new comers bring tons of money with you to survive at least 6months to 1yr....even to get cleaner/factory worker job it takes 6months!!!.....by the way I am IT Manager with lots of experience in software!!

Edited by Choksy

Guest gormusoglu

Hi Guys, we are trying to get a 457 visa and I just wanted to confirmsomething. Some of your posts sound like you have gone to Australia on a457 visa and then looked around for work. I thought, a 457 could only beapplied for once you had an employer to sponsor you? We have been applying forjobs for my husband for the last 3-4 months with no luck.

Thanks, any help gratefully received.

Hi Guys, we are trying to get a 457 visa and I just wanted to confirmsomething. Some of your posts sound like you have gone to Australia on a457 visa and then looked around for work. I thought, a 457 could only beapplied for once you had an employer to sponsor you? We have been applying forjobs for my husband for the last 3-4 months with no luck.

You're correct, the 457 is an employer sponsored temporary visa. It is supposedly a straight forward process to go from 457 to PR after 2 years, a bit more complicated if you go for PR before 2 years

gormusoglu and RoyR -this thread is about 475 visa only .

kindly request you to please do not hijack the thread :-)

Hi Choksy,

Thanks for sharing your experience.This is what I was looking for as I have also heard similar -ve comments from my other friends. But as you can see many other who have commented on this have presented very positive picture ....so i am bit confused about reality now ..

What do you think are the logical reasons for not getting job for so long ?

To all,

I dont want to be negetive over here......but practically real life scenario is complete different. I jumped with joy when we got our visa.....now I wish we shouldn't have received our visa. Life is hell over here....cost of living is too high and no job yet. we are family of 4 now completing 4months in the SA but no job for both of us.......With over 15yrs experience I moved here, I am not getting even entry level job in SA. Practically No jobs here....even local Aussies are out of work for months. Local business are suffering and closing down everyday. My suggestion to new comers bring tons of money with you to survive at least 6months to 1yr....even to get cleaner/factory worker job it takes 6months!!!.....by the way I am IT Manager with lots of experience in software!!

Guest gormusoglu

NEVERGIVEUP - My post was about the 457 visa and that is the visa that we are trying to apply for? So how can I be hyjacking the thread?? RoyR, your comment is about the 457 and thank you for comfirming that for me.

I thought this site was about helping, sharing and passing on information??

gormusoglu and RoyR - I think the issue is that the thread is about the 475 and you are writing about the 457 !

I must admit I assumed you were all talking about the same thing, as I've no idea what all these visa classes are, then I spotted the numbers are different! Very confusing!! Perhaps start a separate thread on 457s so you don't get accused of hijacking.

This thread is "Life for 475 visa holders in SA" . So this thread is only for "475 visa holders"

If you are not 475 visa holder or you are applying for any of the visas please do NOT post on this thread.

Note - 475 and 457 are totally different visas.

Ref -

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/475/

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

gormusoglu and RoyR - I think the issue is that the thread is about the 475 and you are writing about the 457 !

I must admit I assumed you were all talking about the same thing, as I've no idea what all these visa classes are, then I spotted the numbers are different! Very confusing!! Perhaps start a separate thread on 457s so you don't get accused of hijacking.

This thread is "Life for 475 visa holders in SA" . So this thread is only for "475 visa holders"

If you are not 475 visa holder or you are applying for any of the visas please do NOT post on this thread.

Note - 475 and 457 are totally different visas.

Ref -

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/475/

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

I think you've made your point nevergiveup, but no need to get so angry about it!