Midwifery Jobs in Adelaide for newly qualified midwives, can anyone shed any light?

Guest EmmaJep

Guest EmmaJep

Hello!

I'm due to qualify as a direct entry Midwife in September this year, and in a perfect world I'd like to finally escape the UK and get back out to Adelaide. I have had a working holiday visa, so that is not an option. I've spoken the The Emigration Group, who say that I need a years experience before I could start the process for a skilled visa. They have said my only option is to apply direct with the hospitals in Adelaide and find a job that will support me with a sponsored visa.

So, I've hunted and hunted and found lots of jobs requiring 2 years experience, rights to work in Australia, and existing registration with the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Board. Which has put me in a catch 22 and I feel like I'm going round in circles. I'm starting to think its a case of not what you know but who you know.

I have heard of people going out from qualifying on a working holiday visa and gaining employment, so it must be possible. Any advise anyone could share would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

Emma

Guest PaulandVicky

You could you come out on a 'reccie' and visit the hospitals whilst your here.... It's better to apply and be here in the country. They then can meet you face to face etc. it's better that way too then you get to see exactly who you are working for. Apply, with a cover letter to your cv explaining what you about and 'some' experience (really state it from placement or past experience) then follow it with a phone call or two, or three... Jus keep ringing, honestly, they are really laid back - you will need to do all the pushing...

If your going for a 457 business sponsored visa, you will be tied to that employer.....you can find other work if your not happy, but again it comes down to what experience have you got etc.. There are options. Good luck.:notworthy:

Hey, I'm studying mid too (2nd year) here in Adelaide. SA health like you to to a grad year (TPPP) and spaces are very limited. There is an application process through which students are quided through, but I don't know when/ how yet as I'll be doing that next year. Very hard to get a position without TPPP or experience. Private hospitals are probably your best option xx

Guest EmmaJep

Thanks jo_marnes, I contacted someone about the TPPP as its seems a safer step than jumping in the deep end! The woman I contacted said Aussies were given priority, understandably, but will still apply, can't lose anything eh? Any idea on differences between private and public? I hear public are more midwifery led, and private are more obstetric nurses? Also keen to look into birth centres. Good luck with your course! x