UK bank account

Guest Irishblondie

Guest Irishblondie

I have a feeling this is going to be a silly question.

But Ill ask anyway :)

What have you all done with your UK bank accounts?

We are renting here in London so when we move we will have no address!

What happens if you need a new card when it expires how do you get one?

Or do I close bank account before leaving here?

Guest magicsprout

If i remember right i dod ome of mine online and the other i had to ring and they sent me a form. Must depend on the bank just ask them next time you are in. Theres plenty of time yet

Guest Guest9815

I am with Barclays, I switched my paper statements to electronic statements meaning you view online, I did this through my online banking. Also notify your bank of new address in AU and they will post anything like new debit cards, cheque books etc to AU address, I emailed my bank manager instructing this, although it all depends on your bank, might be worth going in to your local branch. I set up an AU bank account from the UK online, I am with Westpac and they seem to be ok, I went with Westpac due to my UK bank being Barclays, they have some sort of relationship so no fees if you need to use your UK debit card at a Westpac ATM.

I kept all my uk accounts open.

Its useful for family who want to put money in my account for kids birthdays & christmas etc.. & I use my debit card to buy them something here with the money.

I kept a uk address ( all post goes to my sister). I dont think banks will send debit cards to a non-uk address but check with them first. I also use my uk account for buying things online.

as long as the bank has free banking (unlike here!!) theres no harm in keeping it open.

Guest Irishblondie

Oh that is really good info thanks a mill :)

Ill defo keep our accounts open and your right it would make things so much easier if I am buying something in Uk

and for my sons birthday for family and friends to lodge cash.

Im with Barclays too so I had a look at Westpac! Thanks for that tip, it says I can open an account when we are definitely

travelling to Oz within 12 months, so I need to wait till we lodge Visa app.

Just another question: Around how long is the whole Visa process? Do you think by next Feb we would be able to travel over?

And when you get your Visa does it give you a specific date you have to go and fly out there??

Guest magicsprout

not sure on current processing times, try diac site or if i can say it the british expats forum, they can have plenty of info. my visa gave me first entry and last entry times, i had a year to validate the visa by flying in and getting it stamped