child migration

Guest brianlynnette

Guest brianlynnette

Hi does anyone have any info on child migration visas please? Our eldest daughter has just been granted a court order which enables her to bring our grandson to Adelaide to join us, she is an oz citizen (her citizenship was granted after he was born) i no he has to have a child migration visa but can we get him a holiday visa and then apply for his child visa once hes onshore?? any info would be greatly appreciated thank you :smile:

Hello there :)

Afaik this is the visa to apply for. However, I am not sure it can be applied for on shore in Aus. I think its an off shore application which iirc means having to be offshore (not in Aus) when it is granted. Make sure you read all the links and download the PDF's that accompany the application etc.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/child/101/

Perhaps post over on our sister site, Poms in Oz in the migration forum as lots of people who post there have done just a child visa and I am sure would be able to help explain it all.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/forum.php

Yes, defo outside Aus when lodged and granted.

How and where to lodge your application

The appropriate application forms, together with all necessary supporting documentation and application charges, must be lodged. For this visa the child must be outside Australia at the time the application is lodged and at the time the visa is granted.

See: How and Where to Lodge an Application

Once lodged there is a page that gives you info about travel into Aus etc and informing CO and clearing it with them etc first

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/child/101/after-you-lodge.htm

This is the booklet you need for child migration. Its a PDF. I suggest downloading it and printing it all off and reading through it that way. Or your daughter doing so as she'll be the one to have to do the application etc.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1128.pdf

Basically everything is there in the child migration stuff on the Aus immigration website.

Edited by snifter

Two of my daughters have children who were born overseas to them as Aus citizens and in all five cases they have applied for and been granted, Aus Citizenship for the children, which gives them the right to live here at any time with no visas, etc. Only one of the five was in Aus. when this was granted. He was here on a holiday visa when they applied for his citizenship. They did have to get Aus. Passports to return here, but they also hold passports of the country they were born in.

Two of my daughters have children who were born overseas to them as Aus citizens and in all five cases they have applied for and been granted, Aus Citizenship for the children, which gives them the right to live here at any time with no visas, etc. Only one of the five was in Aus. when this was granted. He was here on a holiday visa when they applied for his citizenship. They did have to get Aus. Passports to return here, but they also hold passports of the country they were born in.

Sounds like the daughter has citizenship by decent. Therefore child not eligible as she hasnt lived in Australia for 2 years as an Australian citizen.

There is also the Child 802 visa which can be applied onshore from a Visitors Visa, a bridging visa will be granted until decision is made.

Child 101 is faster and cheaper than onshore 802 equivalent.