Going from 2nd year WHV to tourist visa

Hi guys and girls,

I'm new to this site so please bare with me. I am currently on my 2nd year working holiday visa which expires beginning of April and I want to get a tourist visa so I can stay for another month or two to travel (as I've been working a lot and haven't had much time)

Has anyone else done this?? I spoke to the immigration office and the guy said I could do it online, however I then called them and they said that I have to come in and speak to a case officer and then they can decide whether I get the visa or not. Now I haven't been in Australia for 12 months consecutively as I went to Thailand in November.

If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your time

Here, not there.
      4893 times
      Hello and welcome :)

I have read on our sister site of people applying to do this, however I don't know if they were successful or not.

I recall they had information about their funds to support themselves in this time, an itinerary of places they hoped to visit etc and that they could show they had funds to purchase a flight out of Aus at the end etc. Perhaps look into booking a flight with a flexible date of departure. So you can book it for April but can change it if you are able to get a tourist visa so you fly out a month later.

If you have been asked to go in to speak to immigration then that's what you'll have to do. They need to decide if you are genuine in your intent or going to simply drop off the radar and go work illegally etc.

The WHV is intended as a working holiday, with work supplementing your holiday while in Aus. They may say they expected you to see Aus while it was valid and you had time on it, especially as you had the second year also. I don't think you going to Thailand on holiday is going to matter much.

As to if you'll get a tourist visa after 2 years of WHV, I have no clue but I wish you well. Good luck with your interview :)