customs in adelaide

duncan-clan

Guest Guest75

I've not heard of any horror stories but best err on the side of caution.

We brought in plenty of new stuff - but ONE of each.If Customs see multiples then you will be stung I'd say.

this is a very important question to be asked i will arriving in adelaide on april 18th and i would like to know if anyone in oz got stung with any large tax bills from the customs for any items brought into the counrty as im get lots of new things to bring with me....

alex

Yes they tax you on really bad haircuts LOL.

Just wanted to bump your thread for you. Good luck for the 18th bet it don't seem real. Hope the flight won't be to stressful for you and the Mrs with the 2 little ones;).

Lets us know how you get on

Tina x

hi tina and steve never got a hair cut by steve he was either on playstation in shop or sitting down with feet up lol :) cant wait until 16th we are going business class with singapore but will be dosing kids up with medised so should be a easy flight ...good luck with waiting for visa steve told me whats happening when i was in shop last sat hope you get the magic phonecall

alex

Guest Libby1971

I think as long as it is out of boxes and has been used at some point, it is okay. They can clearly see it is being used as a family item.

We were bought a juicer thing by someone (no-one told them it is a complete pain in the neck to wash!) and we took it out of the box although it was still in its wrapping and no-one said anything. You have to imagine how much time they have in customs - they do random spot checks and if anything is in your shipping which you haven't warned them about, they won't be happy.

In our case, we shipped over a complete box of meds for various conditions and they asked for an inventory of all that was in it. That caught me out as I thought 2Meds" would be okay and then had to think what might be in a box packed 4 months ago!!!!:wacko:

Libby

Guest Nick11
im not being greedy in the last year ive spent over £1500 on snap-on tools, got new laptop, wii machine, nintendo ds, new dinner sets, and other stuff, i haven't gone that mad there is other stuff just cant remember what else

alex

No you misunderstand - what I was trying to say is don't go overboard and you'll be fine!!! If you know what I mean - oh yeah and make sure you take all the stickers off!

Just a quick note - sometimes it's the little things that you get stung for - not the big ones. We arrived in Adelaide and had a our luggage xrayed and were pulled over. Asked repeatedly if there were any food items in the suitcase. Swore on my life there were not (even after watching the person in front of us get fined $500 for brininging in a bag of peanuts.) What do they do? Open the suitcase and find a box of cornish shortbread wrapped up in a shirt. I DIDN'T REMEMBER I EVEN PACKED IT FOR MY INLAWS. I think they could see the absolute shock on my face and after quite a lengthy - "you might want to think more carefully before you declare nothing" next time. They let us go (with the new Orek vacuum for my inlaws and a couple of new duvets.) My family was mortified and refused to speak to my until we got to my inlaws house. I felt like a terrorist and convicted criminal and I'm never brining any gifts again. (Especially when I realised how easy it was to get good scottish shortbread in Adelaide....)

Liz

Guest mossmac

Tell you what Alex, if you are really concerned about being stung by the customs:policeman:, instead of flying buisness class why not fly economy class like the rest of us:jimlad: and the savings you make will definately cover the cost - and if you aren't stung you can invite us all round for a big splash out barbie :wacko:- we could all bring a bottle or two to help out;)

Cheers

John

Guest Nick11

Personally I wouldn't declare it - how will they know if its over 12 months old or not. You only really have a few things - chances are they won't even look at them - more interested in dirty lawnmowers etc.

Guest swampo

Does any one watch 'Nothing to declare' on Virgin. The things they do to your luggage if they think there is anything hidden in it are quite alarming! I tell you what, I am considering going over stark naked and carry nothing other than my passport/visa! It may be a bit of shock for my fellow travellers but I won't be stopped by customs (other than for indecency!) Maybe I should at least wear some pants?

I have also bought some new things to take over as everyone says that linen is expensive and also underwear is quite dear. I have just washed it and made it look 'lived in' so hopefully there won't be a problem. Just booked the shippers to come and take our worldly goods at the end of August, booked our flights (economy as we are poor) and a room for our farewell do. It is all seeiming very real now.