How thorough is the Medicals for Visas?

Guest simpsona

Guest simpsona

Hi, can anybody give me rough insite to what's involved in the medicals? Both for the migrants applicant and the Aged parents? Is it just basics like blood pressure, questions etc or is it more in depth like scans and more? I mean I'm pretty sure Hubs and I are fit and well (probs drink a bit too much vino but nothing more) but MIL getting worried with her being 65 that something may crop up on hers! x

Any info a help, thank you. Sharon. x

hi, the normal migrant medical very straightforward, chest x ray, urine sample, height and weight check, blood test then a quick chat with doctor, listens to your chest, few leg exercises and a quick touch ya toes and that was it, very simple, nothin major and nothin to stress about, they also do blood pressure so keep calm!! if you have any pre existing conditions etc take paperwork relating to it with you. aged visa i do not know i am afraid but would imagine it would be along the same kinda lines.

good luck and keep calm ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Darjoe

I was wondering this too Sharon and also wondered what medicals for kids entailed? Was hoping not blood tests for them as it seems a bit mean :-( also wondering on costs but someone just replied to my latest post and said its approx £350 each,

J x

• 4 weeks later...

We have recently had our medicals, we used medmigration in Manchester and they were lovely. 2 adults (£260 each) and 1 x 14 year old (£190). When we got there they first did our height/weight, we then all had to do a urine sample. We all went in to see the panel doctor together, they confirmed our id (make sure you take your passports with you) and asked some general health questions. We were each checked (behind a curtain), we had to strip to our underwear, checked joints/listened to chest/ checked eyes/ears/throat. Had to touch toes etc. We all had to read from an eye chart. They checked everyones blood pressure and we all had to have a chest xray. The only check that our 14 yr did not have was the HIV blood test. Everything else was the same. They were really helpful and realise you are nervous so try to put you at ease, especially with our 14 year old daughter. Hope this helps :-)

Guest simpsona

Thanks, that's a big help! Our kids are 14, 12 & 7 so good to know what to expect. So is it just one set of bloods taken for adults then? So I take it medicals are done completely separately from the Visa application? I daftly presumed they were included or part of the whole thing.

​Thanks, Sharon.

Thanks, that's a big help! Our kids are 14, 12 & 7 so good to know what to expect. So is it just one set of bloods taken for adults then? So I take it medicals are done completely separately from the Visa application? I daftly presumed they were included or part of the whole thing.

​Thanks, Sharon.

Medicals are a part of the application but not included in the visa fees or anything like that. They are an added cost for you to fund like the police check and some other things (depending on the visa applied for). There are specific panel doctors around the country you can book in with for a medical for the visa and they charge their own rate. My medical cost £312 (adult fee). The other rates they gave were £99 for a child up to age 11 (medical only), £199 for child between 11-14 (who have to have a chest Xray also).

The thing to consider is that there may be additional costs if its felt further tests or something need to be done. Also you have to declare any known medical condition or if you are currently undergoing treatment for something etc. Its all reviewed.

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/overseas/u/united-kingdom/panel-doctors.htm