Advice for aged parent wanting to move to Australia

Guest Elsacocopops

Guest Elsacocopops

Hi all, after looking at the many visa options I need HELP! They make it soooo confusing.

Here are the facts. My dad is turning 80 this year. He lives in B.C. Canada, but is British by birth.

He lived over here (Aus) from 1956 - 1976 and had three children in Australia. Now he lives in Canada.

All three children live over here (Aus)

We want to move him over here permanently as he has no family at all in Canada..

should I apply for a visitors visa for him and once he's here apply for something else....

or should I apply for one of the parent visas? while he is still in Canada.

I want to do it the simplest way obviously and if it means its going to be costly so be it. I don't want to pay thousands though and then get knocked back. If he stays out of Canada for more than six months he wouldn't be able to return as he's not a canadian citizen also, would he have to go back to the UK (he hasn't lived there since 1956 lol)

thanks in advance for any help/advice

have a great day

Elsa

Hi all, after looking at the many visa options I need HELP! They make it soooo confusing.

Here are the facts. My dad is turning 80 this year. He lives in B.C. Canada, but is British by birth.

He lived over here (Aus) from 1956 - 1976 and had three children in Australia. Now he lives in Canada.

All three children live over here (Aus)

We want to move him over here permanently as he has no family at all in Canada..

should I apply for a visitors visa for him and once he's here apply for something else....

or should I apply for one of the parent visas? while he is still in Canada.

I want to do it the simplest way obviously and if it means its going to be costly so be it. I don't want to pay thousands though and then get knocked back. If he stays out of Canada for more than six months he wouldn't be able to return as he's not a canadian citizen also, would he have to go back to the UK (he hasn't lived there since 1956 lol)

thanks in advance for any help/advice

have a great day

Elsa

Is there any reason why he didn't take out Citizenship in Canada? or Australia for that matter- since he was in both countries for such long periods of time. Just wondering if it is feasible for him to go for Canadian Citizenship now- just in case his next set of plans don't work out.

That said-I gather it is possible for him to apply for a Visitor Visa to Aus- & if while on his visit to you he decided he would like to make it permanent, he can apply onshore for the 804. Have a good read of the Parent visas on http://www.immi.gov.au , & read up the Cheap Parent Visas thread sticky at the top of the page, where you will find loads of info. Good luck to your dad.

Might be worth running it past an agent to see if his PR can be resurrected in any way after all he was there for 20 years and his children are still there. You never know.

Also I agree if it doesn't work out he needs to get Canadian citizenship so he can return without any problems. You never know he may not settle in Oz even if he does get a visa to return.