Help with info shipping family cat out!!!

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

Hi Gang

Could anybody help with "any" info regarding taking a cat out with us?Who would you recommend,what's involved and what is the dreaded cost?

How long do they have to stay in Quarantine once in Adelaide and how much is this going to cost also?

Thanks

Gill

Guest Nick11
Hi Gang

Could anybody help with "any" info regarding taking a cat out with us?Who would you recommend,what's involved and what is the dreaded cost?

How long do they have to stay in Quarantine once in Adelaide and how much is this going to cost also?

Thanks

Gill

Is there a quarantine station in adelaide?

I thought it was in Melbourne or Sydney.

Friends of ours bought their dog over and it had to stay in sydney and then catch an internal flight here. They were not impressed with sydney at all!

Think it cost them about 3 grand(sterling).

Can get you the company they used - picked dog up from home etc, jabs done in home - very professional.

Guest cunnah10

I just presumed the cat would be quarantined in Adelaide didn't realize they may not even do this there!I can see why it is so costly now!OH will say best to rehome her i bet!Any opinions on taking them or rehoming them!Suppose it's a personal decision and everybody has different opinions!It must a lot of stress to put any animal through for such a long cramped journey!But i know many of you have done it and wouldn't dream of leaving their cats and dogs behind!I should imagine age and health and nature of animal should be considered first and foremost!

Thanks Guys for replies!

Gill

Hi Gill, we thought long and hard before we decided that our cat was just too old to put through the move and the quarantine. After a VERY traumatic couple of weeks we managed to re-home him on a lovely smallholding in Wales where he has the run of the place and sleeps on the Aga! We moved nine months ago and found out this week that he's terminally ill and only has a few weeks left so all in all I'm glad we didn't put him through the move. There is no quarantine facility in Adelaide, (to my knowledge) your cat will most probably go to Melbourne for his quarantine and you'll then have to pay to transport him to Adelaide. It's very much a personal decision and not one I envy...

Guest alibongo

we are also in the same postion! But have decided to leave our 3 cats here. Too long on the plane and they are all about 12 years old. Will be heart breaking to leave them after all these years but have found homes for them all, so if we get our visas we will at least know they are safe here in the UK. Unfortunately have just taken one of our cats to the vets today! think she may have had an epileptic fit..didnt even know cats could get that! shes on a drip tonight and if she recovers we will have to give her tablets to control the fits. we also had to put one down last month and one died 3 weeks ago.. so not a great time for us at the moment...but it makes me feel that we are making the right decision for us..

Just a personal opinion and a very difficult decision for you to have to make.

Good luck

Ali

Hiya,

I cant help you with info about taking your cat to oz, but when my mum took her cats to New Zealand they used Golden Arrow Shippers. They were really good and lovely people. I phoned up every day to see how the cats were before they went as they had tests before they leave the uk. The cats arrived safe and well just a bit miffed at my mum for having to live with me for a few weeks!

Liz

Guest the4hopes

Hi Ali and Liz,

That is really sad about your cats,you must be going through a terrible time at the moment. We absolutely love cats ,me,OH and 2 daughters, we would have loads of cats if we could!

Anyway we are flying out in Sept, and we have 2 cats 2 rehome its the last thing we ever want to do. They are 7 years old and my daughters have grown up with them. As cat lovers can appreciate its like leaving children behind, they both have their own personalities and funny ways.We hate the thought of living without them, but we know its best for them to stay in the UK. As I have heard Australians aren't cats lovers as we are.Some keep their cats in if they have them or in a pen in their garden to keep them safe. Our cats would hate that. At the moment I am taking loads of photos and video of them, but I know it will be a while(ages) before we can look without getting upset.

Just in the process now of asking friends if they know of anyone who would have them, its really difficult!

Laura x