What to do about Maternity Allowance?

Guest mossmac

Guest mossmac

Hi everyone,

We are hoping to move out to South Australia at the end of April/ beginning of May. Had a new baby, born in January and still have about five months of Maternity Allowance left to go. Has anyone else been in the situation where they have migrated to Australia in the middle of getting their Maternity Allowance, which is now paid for 9 months in the UK. Does anyone know how long you have to be out of the UK before they stop your Maternity Allowance? Is it straight away or is it after a few months? Can't seem to find out much information about this. Any help appreciated.

Sarah

Guest Lulujim

Hi Sarah,

I remember reading a similar thread a while back. If you search under child benefit the thread is called 'Do we need to tell anyone' started by Soggy. It should help you, hope it does! We are in same position, but my maternity should stop in nov and then we'll leave about that time anyway. I remember reading that you canbe out of the country for 3 months before having to declare you've emigrated?? Would be worth checking with someone else though (somone not so vague!!!) alexis x

Guest Trakki

I can't help with how long you have to tell them but with some places of work you have to return for 3 months following maternity otherwise you have to pay it back. Don't know if that applies for you though

By the way congrats on the baby ;)

Guest mossmac

Thank you very much for your replies. Would be great if I only had to say I had emigrated after 3 months and could continue to get Maternity Allowance for that time! Will look into it!

Sarah xx