Driving License

Guest julianh

Guest julianh

Can anyone help, I've heard a couple of conflicting things about your driving license, do you need to take a theory test within 3 months to transfer your license to an Australian one of does your UK license make you exempt and you just have to apply for it to be transferred?

Thanks

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

No test pratical or theory, just show your Uk license, pay your money and await your Aussie license, you can drive on your uk license for 3 months,

Guzzler

Guest soggy

Hi,

with a uk licence you just go to the office, fill in a form, show your uk licence, passport and proof of your new address, such as bill, rental agreement, letter from bank, they take your photo you pay for how long you want the licence (between 1 an 10 years, I chose 5 fo around $135 I think) you get a temp licence and your new SA licence comes through the post a week or two later.

Some countries drivers have only 3 months to pass the theory and practical test otherwise they have to get the L plates out, but this is not for UK licence holders.

Simon

Guest cornish Busdriver

Your uk licence is tranferable within 3 months.

However this only includes car and motorbike and not PCV or HGV.

On PCV / PSV You have to ask for a HR upgrade when you transfer your licence then redue the test; its about $700.

Hope this helps any busdrivers

Guest zx6roo

They change it from year to year, depends which visa you come out on and your age. Just go into the office when you go here and check. I recommend one of the smaller offices like Unley not the one in the city because you'll need about 3hrs just for queuing there.

Sometimes you can just show UK licence & passport and swap straight away. Sometimes you have to do the 10 questions about giving way to the right (you have to get all right but they don't seem to care if you have someone helping or a book with answer in front of you). And occassionally (my poor parents had this) you have to do the 10 questions - move on to the 40 multiple choice (you have to get 35 right) and then do the practical.

Also if you learn in an automatic you get a restricted licence so you can't drive a manul, you have to do a 2nd test for that.

and for a bit of extra info.... SA doesn't do yearly MOTs. They only time you need one is when the cops sticker you. Some of the other states do yearly or bi-yearly. Some states (like SA) you can have a quick check over the car to get SA plates but going to say the NT they do a big full on MOT inspection to change plates.

Guest Beth&Martin

I was looking the other day for information about driving licences and found this.

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/to-do-first/apply-drivers.htm

It talks about "if you are a permanent visa holder..." so I read it to mean that it just applies, as it says, to permanent visa holders having to change their driving licence 3 months after arrival.:unsure: Have I read it wrong then? I notice soggy that you are on and SIR 495; is that a temp visa?

We are going to Oz on SIR Provisional 475 visa which is a temporary visa for 3 years. Does that mean then that we don't have to change our driving licence over to an Oz one but just change the address on it?:confused:

Hopefully, any of you kind folk already living in oz on a 475 (or any other type of temp visa) can shed some light for me.

We are on the 495 visas and changed our driving licences over when we arrived.

I think it is probably easier to change to a SA licence for a few of reasons.

1. Excellent form of ID for rentals/banks etc

2. Without an Aussie Licence you need to carry your UK Licence and passport whenever you drive, bulky whereas the Aussie licence fits in your wallet.

3. The Aussie cops generally don't know or care about the different visa types and expect you to change it over within the 3 months.

Lea

Guest soggy
I was looking the other day for information about driving licences and found this.

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/to-do-first/apply-drivers.htm

It talks about "if you are a permanent visa holder..." so I read it to mean that it just applies, as it says, to permanent visa holders having to change their driving licence 3 months after arrival.:unsure: Have I read it wrong then? I notice soggy that you are on and SIR 495; is that a temp visa?

We are going to Oz on SIR Provisional 475 visa which is a temporary visa for 3 years. Does that mean then that we don't have to change our driving licence over to an Oz one but just change the address on it?:confused:

Hopefully, any of you kind folk already living in oz on a 475 (or any other type of temp visa) can shed some light for me.

Your right, on a temp visa you don't have to change your licence in 3 months, but it is a great form of ID it seems as good as a passport for most things, and if you are driving on a UK licence your insurance will cost more. I went into the city to change mine and it only took about 20 minutes, also the city is where you go for medicare so you can do both on one visit.

Simon

Guest Nick11
We are on the 495 visas and changed our driving licences over when we arrived.

I think it is probably easier to change to a SA licence for a few of reasons.

1. Excellent form of ID for rentals/banks etc

2. Without an Aussie Licence you need to carry your UK Licence and passport whenever you drive, bulky whereas the Aussie licence fits in your wallet.

3. The Aussie cops generally don't know or care about the different visa types and expect you to change it over within the 3 months.

Lea

Had no probs on a 495 visa.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
well im buggered as it seems the choice of most visas is 495 ive got a sub class 136 so i dont know what to do with my licence :unsure:
What do you mean you dont know what to do with your license?

Guest soggy
well im buggered as it seems the choice of most visas is 495 ive got a sub class 136 so i dont know what to do with my licence :unsure:

I have an idea about what you can do with your licence......

Simon:D