Adelaide or Perth???..wife is leaning more to Adelaide..

Guest floorman

Guest floorman

Hi

Im a newbie to this site although a member of PIO and PP..i appreciate this post has been asked no doubt hundreds of times about Where is a good place for families to settle in Adelaide and how the work situation in the building trade is??

My family and i went to Perth last year on a reccie and loved it,i was offered a few sponsorship deals and decided to refuse and try for a 190 visa..well the time is nearly here to put in my EOI and my wife throws a curve ball that she has been researching Adelaide and thinks it would be more suited as Perth is too remote!!

I must admit Adelaide looks beautiful but im not sure how the work situation is(im a floorlayer by trade 20 yrs exp)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated on any of the above points...thanks

Guest Andig

Hi Floorman, spooky I am just going through that as well. I'm plumber by trade and was looking at Perth but started thinking was it to remote, and by the sounds of it maybe a bit expensive so I have decided to continue my journey to Adelaide!!

i have not done my EOI yet bet have my IELTS next month.

OH training to be teacher, and the schools look better for the kids, I don't know about you but from what I read they is mixed feelings towards trades getting work, or maybe just plumbers, this is something that's been on my mind for years so I'm going for it.

Let me know yours thoughts on the whole thing of which place you will go for.

Andi

Guest Chris_J

I can't speak for your trade, but we find Adelaide has everything closer like shops etc, but roads busier and public transport is not as good. However, everything closer is good, the weather is fantastic we think and not as humid, daylight saving here and not in WA, it's cheaper although wages may be a little less.

Guest Ledges

Hi there,

We decided on Adelaide despite having a brother and cousin in Perth because of the cost of living...especially housing. Our thoughts were why would you pay London prices when you don't have to. We absolutely love it in SA and have never once regretted our decision. I also know a South African family who moved from NZ to Adelaide and then to Perth and they now want to come back to Adelaide as they miss the place. Good Luck with your decision...I'm sure you won't regret whichever you choose...do check out the house prices though as they are a lot dearer in Perth.

I would look at work situation. I would think that work would be more available in Perth than Adelaide. Very slow in building here, obviously there are people on work here and some that come and get work, luck of the draw I suppose.

When you look at house prices, yes Perths average is higher( thats cos all the waterfront properties) but their wages are also, and you can live further out and travel around ( to city if need be) quicker than you can in Adelaide because of the superior transport system. This means you can get a good property for your money, or at least on par with Adelaide. I was there 2/3 years ago and I live about 20ks from city in Adelaide, I could have got a comparable house in a good seaside suburb 32ks Out for same money, on higher wages.Travel to city was same time. One suburb back from seafront was cheaper.

Just my own opinion and experiences

Edited by smit

Both places have their pros and cons. As for property prices, If you're willing to live as far out of Perth as somewhere like Aldinga is from Adelaide (or Goolwa is from Adelaide - like one of the posters on this thread) then prices are similar to equivalent Adelaide suburbs. It's the suburbs closer to the cbd and waterside that lift Perth's median property price.

With Perth's population growing at a fast rate (and Adelaide's not), there's likely to be more building work longer term.

​Jim

Hi Floorman, you've got a big decision to make. As you're aware, Australia is a huge country and a large chunk of that is called Western Australia. A very small portion of that, mainly along the shore-line, is inhabited. That small area is sooooo far away from the rest of Australia it might as well be a separate country. I've been here 35 years or so and know nothing about Perth except, my Mum says the city is nice, and I've heard a rumor that there is a lot of trouble over there with the natives. Lots of high fences to keep them out. As I said, RUMOR. I still advise doing a lot in investigation before you choose. To move one way or the other if you change your mind is going to cost an arm and a leg.

I live in Perth . . . also lived a long time in Adelaide. I agree entirely with Jim & with Smit.

I have never heard about any trouble with natives or high fences.

Food costs much the same now & utility costs are much lower in Perth than in Adelaide.

Winters are not so cold as in Adelaide.