Newbie Help ( Mother-in-law)

Guest Andig

Guest Andig

hi all, i am going through the actions with starting for my 489 visa and wondered if anyone has had any experience of getting close family member accepted on their visa application. i have been told that in some cases that a doctors certificate stating dependancy is sometimes accepted.

i know what your all thinking, why move to the other side of the world and take the mother-in-law, but needs must!!! :-)

any experience or advise please.

hi all, i am going through the actions with starting for my 489 visa and wondered if anyone has had any experience of getting close family member accepted on their visa application. i have been told that in some cases that a doctors certificate stating dependancy is sometimes accepted.

i know what your all thinking, why move to the other side of the world and take the mother-in-law, but needs must!!! :-)

Given that the UK has welfare arrangements to support those not working/of pension age etc....presumably you m.i.l has an income of her own. This would mean that she does not count as dependent on you.

Guest Andig

I wish it was about money, but its more emotiona/mental support. As she is originally from Malta she struggles to understand things and we have to do a lot for her.

That's what I meant- it is about money. The UK financial support system means that she would be classed as having independent means. Unless of course you're saying she doesn't get any financial support from the UK Gov't? Obviously if she has Mental Health issues, you'd have to consider the implications of that separately regarding her passing the Aus medical requirement.

I can't help with your situation but think it is lovely you want to take your mother in law. I understand about needing to help parents, especially also if they don't have good English language skills. My dear mum was the same. It is hard I know but very appreciated. I am sure someone will come along to give you some ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

To be considered a dependent relative you must prove they:

• have no other relative able to care for them in their own country
  • are not currently married, engaged or in a de facto relationship
  • usually are a resident in your household
  • depend on you for financial support for their basic needs and you have supported them for a substantial period
  • depend on you more than any other person or source.

If a dependant, even if not migrating, fails the public interest criteria (character and medical) then all applicants will be refused visas. On the other hand failing to declare a dependant can lead to vis refusla or cancellation.

Guest Andig

Thanks for all your help. I think I will proceed with putting her on my application. My wife is her only leaving relative after she was divorced and lost her other daughter. If we had space for an annex she would be living with us now, but she is 5 mins away, but does stay round a couple of nights a week as my wife and her need to emotionally support each other after a family trauma.

At least this will give me some experience to share with others in the future.

Guest Andig

I have spoken with my agent, and with all the legal documents and a certified doctors letter he feels that we have a good case.

Other option is for he to by visa and correct me if I'm wrong, but by Oz bonds so she is not a risk to the health system. In real terms she is not overly old at 65.

I will gather the evidence and be guided by my agent, thanks for your concerns.

Guest Claire-n-tel
I have spoken with my agent, and with all the legal documents and a certified doctors letter he feels that we have a good case.

Other option is for he to by visa and correct me if I'm wrong, but by Oz bonds so she is not a risk to the health system. In real terms she is not overly old at 65.

I will gather the evidence and be guided by my agent, thanks for your concerns.

Wow! It seems your MIL does not fit into several of the criteria that wrussel (a registered migration agent i beleive) stated for being a dependant. Is your agent registered? I would think that claiming someone is a dependant when they are blatently not could maybe lead to your whole application being refused as you will have to lie on your application?

Guest Andig

Thanks, it's hard to obviously put all the personal details down, but the MIL is dependant on us for everything apart from her income, which is her pension. My agent is registered, but I will take it one step at a time and will not rush into any decision that will jeopardise the application. Thanks

Wow! It seems your MIL does not fit into several of the criteria that wrussel (a registered migration agent i beleive) stated for being a dependant. Is your agent registered? I would think that claiming someone is a dependant when they are blatently not could maybe lead to your whole application being refused as you will have to lie on your application?

As a rule putting the full facts to the DIAC and claiming a dependant will not jeopardize an application if the delegate decides on the evidence presented that the applicant is not a dependant. If the OP is represented it would have been a good idea to have indicated this in the first place and I would not have wasted my time.

Guest Andig

I'm certainly not out to waste people's time, my Q was has anyone had experience of this, I know it is a difficult area but has anyone ever tried it, did it work or not, that's what I was after.

So apologies if I have wasted anyone's time.

I'm certainly not out to waste people's time, my Q was has anyone had experience of this, I know it is a difficult area but has anyone ever tried it, did it work or not, that's what I was after.

If you are coming from the UK, I have to be honest and say I've yet to read of anyone being successful in bringing a parent with them on their visa. Some have managed to bring them over as a last remaining relative after their move to Aus and going down a totally different visa route to achieve this. But adding them onto the same visa application, can't recall reading that on this or PIO (although it may have happened).

We know,as UK residents who will never be left with no income because of the welfare state, that we could never claim to be be financially dependent on our children. So in that context we would not even attempt to claim dependency, hence you will be unlikely to find anyone who has "tried it". I could however claim to be dependent on my child in other ways, such as emotionally & socially, but it just would not wash I fear . I will just have to pay for my own visa since it's choice rather than necessity that drives us to join our children :smile: