Moving in June-question about transport system

Guest shellbell1979

Guest shellbell1979

Hi

We arrive in Adelaide in June and are going to be renting a holiday let in Christies Beach for 2 weeks. During that time we are hoping to find long term accommodation in either Christies Beach/Hallett Cove/Noarlunga.

I am going to be working at Calvary North Adelaide Hospital and am finding it difficult to work out information on trains etc.

Can anyone advise if there are regular trains from these areas to the city and roughly how long it takes? We have already been informed that parking at Calvary North Adelaide isn't very good so it looks as if public transport is going to be my best option. However, we may need to look at areas closer to the city if the public transport links aren't up to much.

Can anyone advise on this please??

Have you used Google maps and switched to their public transport option for a route planner? Might help give you an idea.

http://maps.google.com.au/

Go to say Christies Beach, Adelaide, use the Get Directions tool and click on the bus/tram icon. It'll give you a few selection options etc to choose from. And it shows you all the public transport routes on the maps.

Hopefully others with knowledge on the ground will chime in with more detailed replies.

Guest Guest75
There are no trains running at the moment due to the rail electrification project, which is maybe why there is no timetable.

September before the trains are running again.

​It will be bus or car until then!

Guest jones1541

Hi, we moved here in January and were in the same situation, I advise you do the route at times you would be working, the times are not accurate when you google, there are so many traffic lights, it does take much longer! However it all depends on what time you travel! The freeway is being changed too a two way system this will eventually take time off the commute! We decided to live closer to work, I guess it just depends how much time your willing to commute!

If you are looking at public transport then you will probably need to catch a bus or train to the city and then another one out to North Adelaide. I think I'm right in saying the North Adelaide Calvary hospital is in North Adelaide and not the city. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. It is possible to walk from the city to North Adelaide but it's a bit of a trek. The advice above about trying the commute at the times you would be doing it is excellent as it will give you a far more realistic view of how far it is and help you decide if you would prefer to be closer.

Guest patsmb
Hi

We arrive in Adelaide in June and are going to be renting a holiday let in Christies Beach for 2 weeks. During that time we are hoping to find long term accommodation in either Christies Beach/Hallett Cove/Noarlunga.

I am going to be working at Calvary North Adelaide Hospital and am finding it difficult to work out information on trains etc.

Can anyone advise if there are regular trains from these areas to the city and roughly how long it takes? We have already been informed that parking at Calvary North Adelaide isn't very good so it looks as if public transport is going to be my best option. However, we may need to look at areas closer to the city if the public transport links aren't up to much.

Can anyone advise on this please??

Trains are off until October or later for upgrade so its bus or drive for a while

Guest shellbell1979

Thanks for all in info guys. I would have driven once we get a car but been told parking is a nightmare. We are also thinking about living closer to the hospital but we have no idea what suburbs are good in North Adelaide.

It's all too hard lol xx

I love living down here and if your shift work it probably won't matter to you. It all depends on what is important to you in terms of schools, and other stuff you like to do. If your renting in Christies then I would assume you decided that's a good base to start form and the transport links will get better - short term pain long term gain.

My son goes to a great little private school at Christies beach and both Christies Beach and Port Noarlunga have great surf clubs. There is lots to do around here but if you are worries about the communte look at the suburbs down the hill around Brighton and Marion. Or Go East into the hills.

There is a lot of choice but you won't really know until you get here.

Given our time again I would probably not live where we do but now we are here not moving I love it :-)

Guest shellbell1979

We def do like the look of the area around Christies Beach/Port Noralunga etc. The kids would def like to be closer to the beach.

I currently travel a distance to work and it takes a lot of time out my day getting to work and coming home so not keen on doing that again, unless it was for a great area and it had great schools for the kids.

We will be in Adelaide for 2 weeks before I start work so we're hoping we find a long term lease in that time :thumbup:

We def do like the look of the area around Christies Beach/Port Noralunga etc. The kids would def like to be closer to the beach.

I currently travel a distance to work and it takes a lot of time out my day getting to work and coming home so not keen on doing that again, unless it was for a great area and it had great schools for the kids.

We will be in Adelaide for 2 weeks before I start work so we're hoping we find a long term lease in that time :thumbup:

Competition for GOOD rentals can be tough and can take weeks. If it all possible try and get an extra week. What ages are your kids? If they are nearly high school I would defiantly be looking at private in the south. To get the work life balance right and the kids want the beaches then anywhere along the coast is nice

If you want to be close to the beach check out areas like West Lakes, Semaphore and Grange. The commute to North Adelaide from these areas would probably be much easier than from Christies, although just be aware that bus routes tend to be direct to the city and will not necessarily go via North Adelaide. North Adelaide itself is a lovely area but somewhat on the pricey side (and not really near the beach). If you are considering public transport it would be worth looking at what buses go through North Adelaide and see where they go on to.

ETA - there are lots of great suburbs in Adelaide and lots of places that are good for kids. There are also a lot of good schools in a lot of different areas. Once you get here have a good look around and don't limit yourself because you think you want to live in a particular location based on what you have researched from the UK.

Edited by NicF

Guest shellbell1979

We def would consider areas away from the beach. We don't mind having to travel to visit the beach.

When we first arrive it'll just be me working as my husband hasn't secured employment yet so will be looking for affordable accommodation with just my wage. Areas further away from the city def seem more affordable.

It's all very difficult trying to research things from the UK. There are so many suburbs/schools etc. My 2 boys are primary school age and my daughter is at nursery

If you want to be close to the beach check out areas like West Lakes, Semaphore and Grange. The commute to North Adelaide from these areas would probably be much easier than from Christies, although just be aware that bus routes tend to be direct to the city and will not necessarily go via North Adelaide. North Adelaide itself is a lovely area but somewhat on the pricey side (and not really near the beach). If you are considering public transport it would be worth looking at what buses go through North Adelaide and see where they go on to.

ETA - there are lots of great suburbs in Adelaide and lots of places that are good for kids. There are also a lot of good schools in a lot of different areas. Once you get here have a good look around and don't limit yourself because you think you want to live in a particular location based on what you have researched from the UK.

NicF,

I hope you have gleaned valuable information from PIA because every post we've read of yours gives SO much solid, useful information and just want to say you're a credit to this site.

You've popped up on such a wide range of subjects and have really helped us on several occasions, that you wont even know about!

So, thanks :)

Penny & David

Guest smit
We def would consider areas away from the beach. We don't mind having to travel to visit the beach.

When we first arrive it'll just be me working as my husband hasn't secured employment yet so will be looking for affordable accommodation with just my wage. Areas further away from the city def seem more affordable.

It's all very difficult trying to research things from the UK. There are so many suburbs/schools etc. My 2 boys are primary school age and my daughter is at nursery

My advice would be to either live on or near a direct train route or on a direct through route by bus to city...always comes in handy , either for work , or for me, pleasure :biggrin:.

Guest smit

Given our time again I would probably not live where we do but now we are here not moving I love it :-)

Given what I know now, over 7 years later, I would be living PT Noarlunga . Always liked from when I got here, didnt really know school situation so settled somewhere else. I thought our kids would have to go to Christies High, which , at that time was a definate no. If I had of known about Cardijn college things might have been different. Still IMO the best stretch of beach in Metropolitan Adelaide...fantastic. Edited by smit

Guest shellbell1979

Does anyone know if the Mawsons Lake suburb is any good?

Having a look at lots of different options for us. Wish someone could do it for me lol ;)

Guest jonny no cash

The parking isnt bad to bad around the hospital but I woudnt fancy a drive like that every day (from the south)especially through the peak hour

I would think it is an hour plus in peak traffic from Christies to North Adelaide. Christies etc are what are called outer suburbs, not somewhere I would live if working North of the City. I looked at bus times and if you started work at 4pm it says you would need to leave shortly after 2pm!! I am sure some-one will tell me this isn't correct, but of course you need to get to Nth Adelaide from the city. North Adelaide is about 20min brisk walk from North Tce in the City where the train station is, or you can catch a bus. It is the opposite side of the City from Christies, Pt Noarlunga, Hallet Cove etc.

The beach is very accessible from most parts of Adelaide, you don't have to live in the South to go to the beach. North Adelaide is about 20min drive from great beaches, Henley, Grange, West Beach are all fantastic with great vibes. They are calmer beaches, if you want waves you need to go further South.

Mawson Lakes could be a good option for a start. A bus from Mawson Lakes would have you in O'Connell St, North Adelaide in about 30mins. I saw a post from some-one recently on PIA about living in Mawson Lakes and what is available there that may be helpful.

If you are working shifts, you may find it possible to park near the hospital some of the time, depending on the shift you are on. There is a lot of parking in the streets around Nth Adelaide, but not easy for day shift.

Suburbs North and North West of the City are on a bus route to Calvary. Consider Prospect, Brompton, Croydon for easy access. Also look along Linear Park corridor North East of the city. If you ride a bike it is an easy bike commute from any of these locations, many routes through parklands and you barely need to go on a road.

There are good schools everywhere. You can easily live within a 20-30 minute commute to work in and around the city, be 20-30mins from great beaches, 20 -30 mins drive to great places in the hills, 45mins from the Barossa Valley wine region and head down south to Christies or Pt Noarlunga or McLaren Vale for a day trip on the weekend.

Good luck