Adelaide vs .........

srg73

.......Brisbane, Gold Coast etc. I am very lucky to have got a 189 visa meaning I can move about. My concerns are with job oppertunities within the building project and contract managemet especially considering the apparent slow down in the SA state. I currently would not move without a secure job and we are visiting in September to sit down with agencies etc?

The issue is that we loved Adelaide however would not want to move simply to struggle. Has anybody lived in the 2 areas and if so could you please let me know the differences and similarities? I'm very open to other areas however my wife is a little less so some convincing would be required.

Thanks. S

They are very different areas/places and the climate is different again (its not one that appeals to me up there).

What were the reasons Adelaide appealed to you to migrate to?

I know lots of people would say go where the work is and to a certain extent I do agree with that. However, I also believe that to migrate and make a success of it, you also need to be happy with where you are living and like the area you settle in. Everyone migrating needs to feel this as if one person is unhappy it can unsettle or cause upset for everyone involved). If QLD doesn't tick your boxes, even with a job it might not be the place you feel settled and happy in long term. However, it may be once you've visited it, spent some time it grows on you and appeals more. Are you visiting up there on your reccie or have you been already?

I'd go anywhere in Aus in the short term if it required it for work reasons but in the longer term I'd want to settle in one of a few specific places. Short term compromise for longer term goals and all that. By short term I think 1-2 years with a view to working to being where we want to be as soon as possible after moving, not leaving it till the 2 years are up before we look at our options and plans.

Hi S,

We have been in Aus since 1999, settled in Brisbane and really like the South east sector of Queensland. I work in the construction industry, but more on the civil side rather than building, I am at present working in Adelaide giving the company a hand for 3 months or so, this is my 2nd time in Adelaide and I must say both my wife and I really like this place and if push came to shove with work loads around the regions within the company, then Adelaide would be our much preferred choice after Brisbane.

Work loads do vary, wether it be in Brisbane or Adelaide (thats why I am in Adelaide at present) and with this in mind, to secure a job prior to arriving in OZ would not I believe, be too easy but you may get lucky!

Cheers and good luck, Keith

Thanks for the replies. We would be moving just as an adventure, giving up secure well paid jobs but also a lifestyle which makes us think there is more out there. We have been to Adelaide and loved the small city feel and just the general feel and the people. We have not been to Brisbane however have friends there and job oppertunities do seem to be better for me.

Climate, Adelaide would be great but if we have to suffer more tropical weather then so be it.

​S