First Entry - Alone or with family

fahi

We got our visa and planning to arrive in the middle of August. We are a small family with two kids. 6 & 3 Yrs old. I'm a Pharmaceutical sales professional and my wife is a primary school teacher. But she's not willing to work for some time as younger one is small. Now the question is whether to come alone and find a job, search for a good primary school and secure a long term rent and then bring the family latter or straight away arrive with the family and face the challenges

together.

I read the posts saying that economy is not doing well and therefore finding a good job is highly competitive and time consuming.

I appreciate your advice.

It is hard to say because what works for some people, doesn't work for others. We came together as a couple with no kids (people with kids may have different ideas) but I personally enjoyed the process of us starting our life in Australia together and going on the journey together. We arrived with no where to live and no jobs, but we embraced the challenge of starting our new life here and worked together to make that happen.

Personally I'd go with family but that is just me.

I'd also not want my husband making the decision for a house and a school on his own. Its a big thing for us a family and I think we should all be in it together. Housing wise hubby would not see what I see when looking at houses and I'd hate to be stuck in a lease for something that doesn't work for me given that I'd be the one spending the days in it it while he is working IYKWIM.

I am also in the school of thought its an adventure to share together, no apart.

Hello Fahi,

Your situation is similar to mine, except my kids are 3 and 1, you even work in the same field as me, and my wife is also a primary school teacher! On my reccie earlier in the year I spoke to a recruiter (who works purely with medical/pharma) and was advised that finding work would not be an issue, indeed I actually briefly met one of the regional sales managers who was recruiting! How long have you been in the industry?

Personally I'd take the family and share the experience together, but it would be easier in many ways to do it alone at first.

Thank you Jessica, snifter and guspjmh for sharing your experience and thoughts. you're correct guspjmh. it's almost similar. I've been in this industry for the last 12 yrs and worked various areas such as GP, Hospital and Institutional sales and marketing, presently managing a team of medical representatives. How about you and when are you planning to move.