Meet & Greet Service

Guest Greg and Karen

Guest Greg and Karen

Hi all

To those with experience of the meet & greet service - is it worth doing?

And most importantly what is the accomodation like? Is it clean, safe, in a good area(s) etc - i.e. suitable for young families?

thanks for any advice, counting the days until we make the move!

Greg

Guest chippie74

our meet and greet place was hell but others on here have been fine

the place we stayed was basic (painted breeze block wall) clean and tidy and in a superb location glenelg but we had the neighbours from hell ,beer drinking,drug smoking,engine reving aussie scrotes

these meet and greet houses are goverment houses that means you will be living with aussie council tennants (NOT all oaa are like this) we lasted 6 weeks there as we struggled to find a rental my girlfriend was in tears so it wasnt a good start to our new life down under

As far as the Meet and Greet service is concerned, its well worth having them meet you at the airport, even if you don't get or apply for OAA.

I've met a few volunteers now and all have provided a wealth of info for my guests, complete with Medicare forms, a UBD (road map of Adelaide), tons of info leaflets. They will also take you out to the local supermarket for your first shop if you are not too tired after your flight.

Also, if you have not hired a car from the airport, then they'll provide a taxi to your destination.

Judi x

Guest Nick11
Hi all

To those with experience of the meet & greet service - is it worth doing?

And most importantly what is the accomodation like? Is it clean, safe, in a good area(s) etc - i.e. suitable for young families?

thanks for any advice, counting the days until we make the move!

Greg

Our guy who met us was great. Took me food shopping on the first day. Came back next day got us tax numbers, mobile phones , signed up to tafe for immigrant orientation, opened bank account with the only hsbc bank in adelaide - worth his weight in gold.

Oaa accomadation - bit of lottery!! We didn't apply for it.

Guest Nick11
Our guy who met us was great. Took me food shopping on the first day. Came back next day got us tax numbers, mobile phones , signed up to tafe for immigrant orientation, opened bank account with the only hsbc bank in adelaide - worth his weight in gold.

Oaa accomadation - bit of lottery!! We didn't apply for it.

Forgot to say he took us to our rental in the hills in his own car from the airport. SA paid for a taxi to take our suitcases!

Guest chippie74

the guy who met us was superb.showed us the rope as they say!!! 100% i think the meet and greet is worth it..the OAA im not to sure i couldnt go through that again

Guest Greg and Karen

Thanks all for your advice. I think we'll heed it and take the meet & greet option but steer well clear of the accomodation! We have a 4 year old and my wife will be 8 months pregnant AND my elderly mother-in-law will also be in tow (I'm sure there's a sitcom in there somewhere...) so bikers/chavs as neighbours does not sound an ideal start to our new life.....

....I mean that's why we're leaving Croydon!!

Guest soggy
in a superb location glenelg but we had the neighbours from hell ,beer drinking,drug smoking,engine reving aussie scrotes

I know what you mean, I can't stand engine reving!:);)

Simon

Guest theforrests

Meet and greet was excellent - a really good service. We also used the OAA - and much as the rent is cheap - its a complete lottery where you get. We were in a dodgy part of Christie Downs - we only lasted 5 weeks there!

Guest Libby1971

We applied for OAA and were given it in Everard Park. In terms of location it was great, just off the south road and near the Anzac Highway, there was a tram stop virtually outside the house - 10 mins to city, 10 mins to Glenelg, great!

We had a ground floor flat with a door inside from the hallway, one at the front which led straight into a bedroom, and an outside porch/ balcony type thing, no good for anything whatsoever, which had a door leading into the lounge. We used the one in the hallway all the time and kept all other doors locked.

For the first couple of weeks it was quiet and then people moved in upstairs. They had an obsession with moving furnioture around but started around eight pm which drove me nuts! It would go on for hours.

Although relatively quiet for a city location, there was absolutely nothing nearby for the kids, certainly nowhere I felt comfortable walking to. Goodwood Rd is nearby which has a great little library, and a good set of shops to go to, we really liked that.

But the flat itself was dire in terms of decoration. I remember walking in and thinking "I did NOT spend 2 days on a plane for THIS!" Breeze block painted walls throughout, a space where a washing machine used to be (a previous occupant nicked it), antiquated furniture and crockery, glass which shattered almost as soon as you touched them due to their age - although we ended replacing almost all of them from IKEA as we broke so many, and generally not the best start.

If I had known what it would be like, I would have paid the extra and gone to holiday rental such as the ones provided by Roo, Guzzler&Sas, Tyke or Dale and Jo. I think at the time Tyke was the only one offering this service though and he was booked.

We were in and out in 4 weeks. We would have been out sooner but our money got held up by almost 2 weeks which seriously slowed us down.

However, our Meet and Greet were a wonderful couple from Victor Harbor called Pam and Tony and I thought they were worth their weight in gold. Book that as a service and forget OAA. You'll be scarred for life!

Libby

Guest Tracijbc

Blimey! Sounds like we had a lucky escape NOT getting OAA. Am looking forward to the meet and greet though as I am sure we'll be tired and emotional when we land after the long journey, so a welcoming face with a sign with our names on will make us feel at home.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback about this, it has made me feel a whole load better about missing out on the OAA.

Cheers :)

Traci x

Guest Nick11
Blimey! Sounds like we had a lucky escape NOT getting OAA. Am looking forward to the meet and greet though as I am sure we'll be tired and emotional when we land after the long journey, so a welcoming face with a sign with our names on will make us feel at home.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback about this, it has made me feel a whole load better about missing out on the OAA.

Cheers :)

Traci x

Not long to go mate!

Getting nervous?

Guest Tracijbc
Not long to go mate!

Getting nervous?

VERY Excited :jiggy:and GULP, yep, really nervous. :wideeyed:

Looking forward to finally getting there, it seems to have taken a dogs age to do this thing. See you really soon. No computer access after today (last day at work), so TTFN and I'll see you all for a cold one really soon.

T xxx