Important visa changes

Guest dglamoore

Guest dglamoore

Major Overhaul to Australia's Skilled Migration Program is Announced

Author: Alan Collett

Date: Friday, April 06, 2007

Australia's new Immigration Minister has announced significant changes to the skilled migration program, which are scheduled to come into effect from the 1st of September, 2007.

Alan Collett has detailed them on his website at Go Matilda - http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=408

Please click the link above to read the changes if you are thinking of applying for a visa as the changes could effect you.

Lisa

Guest Django
Recent Work Experience

From the 1st of September, 2007 the same recent work experience requirement will apply to offshore skilled visa applicants, irrespective of the visa subclass and the number of points claimed: applicants will be required to demonstrate skilled work experience for at least 12 months in the 2 years immediately preceding the lodgement of the visa application.

The way I read this is ..... come the 1st Sept we will be able to apply for a 136 (or should I say the new 175 visa) as Tracey would have worked 12 months from 24 but not the old 12 months from 18. :D

Fantastic :D:D:D:D

• 1 month later...
Guest Aussiebound

We are now in the process of getting our visa form ready for lodging as soon as TRA comes back, we where previously going to wait a while but now just want to send it off asap, I think we'll be OK on the points anyway as we had 130 but sooner rather than later

• 1 month later...
Guest Aussiebound

Wouldn't worry too much - as long as you speak good English you'll get the extra points from the IELTS test.

Sure everything will be fine.

Our visa went a few weeks ago so the changes luckily don;t affect us.

Sarah

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aussiebound
Hi Sarah is Neil looking for a job here.

Sandy

Hi Sandy

Yes, Neils work is a priority when we arrive and he will be looking to start work asap, he has passed TRA as a Metal Fabricator / Boilermaker. Hope something is around when we arrive!!

I will also be looking for work but need to get the children sorted first. It should time right as most jobs I do start at the beginning of the school year so I should have a few months to apply for posts.

Guest soggy
Hi Sandy

Yes, Neils work is a priority when we arrive and he will be looking to start work asap, he has passed TRA as a Metal Fabricator / Boilermaker. Hope something is around when we arrive!!

I will also be looking for work but need to get the children sorted first. It should time right as most jobs I do start at the beginning of the school year so I should have a few months to apply for posts.

Hi dont Know if this helps, I have e-mailed agencies about painting and decorating jobs and remembered this reply from may,

Hi Simon I don't do the building industry as they do their own

recruitment a

bit different you need to be here before they will offer you a job.

Sorry but if you know any boilermakers/welders or Truck Mechanics I

would

love to hear from them.

Sandy

----- Original Message -----

To: <info@globaltradesearch.com.au>

Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 5:29 AM

good luck with the job hunting

Simon

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jason vango

All please help me , i am desperate to get to oz with the family but i dont know the first thing to do??????

i am a Prison Officer and the wife is a hair dresser

please help or advise

Guest nikkiandlee

HI Jason,

Hairdressing is on the MODL list (so in demand which gives you extra points) I would first go to a agents web site (we are looking to use ASA but there are loads) and do the free skills assessment this would give you an idea of how many points you have, I would suggest doing it on your wife's skills however she will need to prove 6-7 years experiance to gain her TRA! so that would include references or accounts details etc. Once you have gathered if you have enough points you can decide to use an agent or do the whole thing on your own. Once you have gained a successful TRA (training and skills assessment) you can apply for your Visa. However if you are unsure what visa to go on speak to an agent to get some advice. We are hoping to go on my Hairdressing skills we are just about to gather the information required for my TRA we have been advised to get a skilled Visa 136 pr (i think).

I would however first do the points test then speak to an agent! You don't have to use the agent if you don't want to, but its a good place to start!

I'm sure others will be able to give further advice as we are only just starting ourselves, but i have learnt alot from this forum!

Good luck

Nikki

Guest Aussiebound
All please help me , i am desperate to get to oz with the family but i dont know the first thing to do??????

please help or advise

Hi

We are using an agent called Go matilda, they - or any other agent - will give you loads of help and advice on the right visa etc to go over on.

We are going on a permanent 136 skilled visa. If you are under 45 you should qualify for this as your wife is a hairdresser which is on the MODL - jobs in demand list. I am not sure if prison officer is but an agent would advise you.

Hope you get on ok.

Sarah:D

Guest chillyanna

hi jason

i know how it can be when you first start the process. it can seem a long and daunting road, thinking right whats next! i was asking all sorts of questions.

i too am using agents "go matilda" on recommendation from a good friend who went to adelaide with them last year. i have just sent my TRA off last week.

i can say they are very good, they are up front and keep you informed at every stage,

if i have any queries i can just give them a call or send them an email and get a quick reply back.

another good thing is you pay in 3 stages i think, so if you fail at stage 1 you only paid for stage one. sorry i should'nt say fail on here should i:err:

i dont know about other agencies because i never contacted any but i am more than happy with go matilda.

A good idea also is to buy the monthly magazine emigrating to australia or the australia&new zealand magazine. both packed with helpful info and other things.

hope you get sorted in the end.

paul:elvis:

• 4 months later...
Guest susanmary38

Hi Jason.

probably the easiest way to go is down the road of using an agent, although they can be expensive, its the easiest way to go, you can ring various agencies they will give you a free telephone interview, use this to pick there brains.

We have decided to go it alone & save money, there are loads of helpful people on here who will point you in the right direction.

We visited the York exhibition last year & got loads of tips, the S.A gov web site has lots of links, & worth the visit.

We have just sent my stuff of to trade recognition Australia, this is suposed to be the hard bit, applying for your visa on line once you have your reference from TRA is supposed to be quite easy, we will see.

good look

• 3 months later...
Guest vonnie

please help or advise

hi, we are in a similar situation but friends told us to make an appointment with 'four corners' For a very small fee they told us all we a good look be needed to know. We are hoping to go to OZ in June now, to havefore we go any further. We can't decionniede WHERE to look first. good luck

Vonnie

Guest vonnie

Hi, thanks for that but we are both hairdressers and own our own business and hope to do the same in OZ. We have already had our assessment and luckily for us because of our trade we qualify for a fantastic visa. just all subject to medicals etc now.

• 3 years later...
Guest Daisy Duke

Does anyone know how long the process takes to get you PR if you originally come over on a 457 visa? Also, do you have to have all the medicals again etc?

Guest WhatNow?

Was told recently by someone whose visa applicationhad stalled due to changes in circs that Prison Officers are in high demand in Western Australia - they are thinking of reapplying under that occupation. Please go and talk to a reliable and recommended Migration Agent. Most will give you no obligation 30 mins free advice to get you started. Make sure they are MARA registered so any deposit you later pay them is protected and fees are capped. https://www.mara.gov.au/