Aged Parent (804) Visa - Anyone going through the process?

Guest Salopian

Guest Salopian

Hello,

I am new to this site. I moved with my family to Adelaide from the UK a few years ago. We have now become Australian Citizens. My parents are considering joining us in Adelaide in the next few years. As a result, I have undertaken a significant amount of research about visas on their behalf, which has included searching through the invaluable information contained within this site. One of the visa options that I have researched is the aged parent (onshore) 804 visa. I believe I have researched most of the conditions and pros/cons about the visa, however I am now at the stage I need to get in contact with someone who is, or has gone through the process to understand viewpoints and gain tips from first hand experience.

Can anyone help?:smile:

Nick

Hi Nick

Welcome to the forum, I'm presuming you have read this thread http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/4509-cheap-parent-visas-part-i.html

We also were going to use this visa to get my mum here, unfortunately she is ill and is staying in the UK for treatment now.

The things that worried me about it were, if she got the no further stay condition when she applied for the reason to come over and the other was the medical although she was ok at the time who knows what she would be like when the visa was eventually processed (well look how her health has changed in the last 12months) There was a case where an 85 yr old (think she was in her 80's) had lived here with her family all these years, reached the medical stage and failed and they were deporting her. It made the papers so I will try and find it, I'm sure the outcome was positive but how stressful for them all, the poor lady had no home or family to go back to

Guest Salopian

Hi Ktee,

Thanks for responding, the thread provides good information. I hope your Mums treatment is going OK.

In the case of my parents, they would come over to Australia (on a 601 or 651 visa) for holiday purposes only, and if they liked it here and wanted to stay, they have the 804 visa as an option. So I could not imagine a reason why the 8503 condition (no further stay) would be put on their visa's? I know the 8503 condition is mandatory on the 600, 402, 462 visa's, and is discretionary for other visitor and temporary residence visas. I suppose the question is why would DIAC put a condition on their visa's? Agree the 2nd medical could be an risk when it is processed in 10 to 15 years time when my parents are older and may/may not meet the health criteria at the time. The other risks I see in the process are;

- Getting sufficient time using a bridging visa B to go back to the UK to put their house in order (i.e. rent out UK property, notify banks etc..) to allow my parents to come back to Australia to live as a temporary resident, until there is a decision on the 804 visa. There is also the assumption this reason would be classed as a 'substantial reason' for the application of the bridging visa B ?!?

- If 804 visa is rejected 10 to 15 years down the track.

- Renting a property in Australia as a temporary resident. May be some challenges with lack of history and residency status.

- High cost of private medical / hospital insurance as a temporary resident.

- Getting a Australian drivers licence as a temporary resident (when already hold a UK licence).

- Frozen UK state pension (albeit common to all visa's).

Nick

Edited by Salopian

First off, they don't need an Aussie licence if on a temp visa. You have three months after getting pr to get one, until that time you can drive in a uk one ( I did for over five years).

I came here at 28, and spent the next five years trying to get pr. I spent that whole time worrying that myself or my husband would get sick and fail the medical. That is with being perfectly healthy. Unless I thought it was something that could not be too bad I wouldn't go to the drs. It was always there as a niggling worry, and I am perfectly healthy and fairly young. I personally wouldn't want to be in that position again, especially not for that long.

However, your parents would get reciprocal Medicare cover, which actually covers a lot. Although, on the downside they would only issue us cards for two months at a time as there was no finish date on the bridging visa.... 18 months. It was a pain.

Bridging visa b, I can only go by me, but I told them I wanted to go on holiday for a week to meet up with my best mate. I had been here for three years at the time. They issued it no question and told me it lasted for three months so I should take advantage and have some more holidays.

The no further stay condition isn't often used, you just have to be aware it might. Also, make sure they don't look like they are coming here to live when they arrive, or they are likely to be refused entry.

• 2 months later...
Hello,

I am new to this site. I moved with my family to Adelaide from the UK a few years ago. We have now become Australian Citizens. My parents are considering joining us in Adelaide in the next few years. As a result, I have undertaken a significant amount of research about visas on their behalf, which has included searching through the invaluable information contained within this site. One of the visa options that I have researched is the aged parent (onshore) 804 visa. I believe I have researched most of the conditions and pros/cons about the visa, however I am now at the stage I need to get in contact with someone who is, or has gone through the process to understand viewpoints and gain tips from first hand experience.

Nick

Hi Nick,

My Parents have been granted PR through the 804 visa just last week, it took under 8 years. It all went well really, apart from Mum getting Cancer last year and with 8 weeks of being diagnosed DIAC rang to say it was our turn in the queue and to provide new medicals (along with every other Doc) within 28 days to proceed!! I found out that as long as the cost of 'likely' treatment is not more than $35K over 5 years, it shouldn't be a problem..... and although the medical did get referred to the Panel Doctors it was approved. If not my parents had 28 days to leave!!

I have only just joined this forum today to share my experience as may be of some help, any questions just ask.

Cheers

David

Edited by Blossom
Fixing quote

• 2 months later...
Guest gregblack
Hello,

Nick[/QUO

Hi Nick,

My Parents have been granted PR through the 804 visa just last week, it took under 8 years. It all went well really, apart from Mum getting Cancer last year and with 8 weeks of being diagnosed DIAC rang to say it was our turn in the queue and to provide new medicals (along with every other Doc) within 28 days to proceed!! I found out that as long as the cost of 'likely' treatment is not more than $35K over 5 years, it shouldn't be a problem..... and although the medical did get referred to the Panel Doctors it was approved. If not my parents had 28 days to leave!!

I have only just joined this forum today to share my experience as may be of some help, any questions just ask.

Cheers

David

Hi David can you tell me what visa your parents used to get into Australia as condition 8503 appears to be attached to all tourist visas. I have been looking at emigrating but this this a major stumbling block for my wife and I We do meet all the conditions attached to an 804 and this is our only financially possible route

for us.

kind regards Greg

Hi Greg,

We used the ETA system and just hoped that there would be no restriction placed on it at the time of entry. I was told that that is decided on arrival into Australia when you are issued with the entry stamp at passport control. So you just don't know if your 'holiday' is going to be short or long!

I have never met a POM that has had the restriction placed on them, though visa rules are constantly changing.

Good luck

David

Guest gregblack

Hi Blossom and David thanks for your prompt replies. That at least gives me hope.

The reason I asked was because of something I found elsewhere saying "I know the 8503 condition is mandatory on the 600, 402, 462 visa's, and is discretionary for other visitor and temporary residence visas." I am looking at visas 600/601 does anyone know what the differences are?

Thanks Greg

Hi Greg, just looked at the info on the visas and the 601 is restricted to certain countries....with the UK listed. It also states "Your ETA is valid for 12 months. You can enter and stay in Australia for up to three months at a time. If you want to stay in Australia for longer periods, you can apply for another visa, such as aVisitor visa (subclass 600).

The 600 visa is not ETA and available to twice as many countries and does carry 8503 condition mandatory on some steams, which i don't think you would be applying under.

That said I would apply for the 601.

MIGRATION AMENDMENT REGULATION 2013

streamline four visitor visas (Tourist, Sponsored Family, Business and Sponsored Business) into one simplified Visitor visa, new Subclass 600 (Visitor);

streamline three Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) visas (covering tourists and business visitors) into one simplified ETA visa, new Subclass 601 (ETA);

Guest gregblack
Hi Greg, just looked at the info on the visas and the 601 is restricted to certain countries....with the UK listed. It also states "Your ETA is valid for 12 months. You can enter and stay in Australia for up to three months at a time. If you want to stay in Australia for longer periods, you can apply for another visa, such as aVisitor visa (subclass 600).

The 600 visa is not ETA and available to twice as many countries and does carry 8503 condition mandatory on some steams, which i don't think you would be applying under.

That said I would apply for the 601.

MIGRATION AMENDMENT REGULATION 2013

streamline four visitor visas (Tourist, Sponsored Family, Business and Sponsored Business) into one simplified Visitor visa, new Subclass 600 (Visitor);

streamline three Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) visas (covering tourists and business visitors) into one simplified ETA visa, new Subclass 601 (ETA);

Hi thanks David that is exactly what I was looking for, I had not seen the amendment before but it seems to cover my questions and I will apply in 2014.

I will update in the future and let everyone know what happens when i apply.

Kind regards Greg