Is it worth visiting Adelaide for a Reccie??

Fotherespie

Hi Everyone, We new on the forum. We were granted our visa to South Australia in May and seem to be having cold feet!! I am very committed to making the move however my husband is now in a much better job then when we first began the process (over 2 years ago!!) and is unsure about costs / jobs in Adelaide. I am wondering if it would help for us / one of us to come out and do a bit of research before we come out. I realise this will cost a fair bit but we've spend SO much already getting the visa that it's almost like 'in for a penny'... Any advice would be really helpful??? Paula

Hi Everyone, We new on the forum. We were granted our visa to South Australia in May and seem to be having cold feet!! I am very committed to making the move however my husband is now in a much better job then when we first began the process (over 2 years ago!!) and is unsure about costs / jobs in Adelaide. I am wondering if it would help for us / one of us to come out and do a bit of research before we come out. I realise this will cost a fair bit but we've spend SO much already getting the visa that it's almost like 'in for a penny'... Any advice would be really helpful??? Paula

We have done 2 reccies and i cannot imagine moving to a country where i had never visited before. It is so different to how you think its going to be. Of course some people dont and it works out for them. The second reccie we went everywhere, every part of adelaide i had research on on realestate i went to. The first reccie we stayed in glenelg and we lived sort of like tourists. The second reccie we met up with people who lived there, saw how they lived gave us loads of advice etc. We stayed in torresnville the best thing we ever did. Loved it and we were lucky enough to see whales, dolphins etc. Went to see where we were going to be working, drove from where we thought we would live to work in rush hour etc. Did as much as possible. PM me if you want to know where we stayed as there are plenty of other places and speaking with people who live there everyday really opened our eyes. BTW The cold feet thing i dont think will ever go ive got it now lol! x

Hi Growler, Thank you that's really helpful, I lived in Melbourne 10 year ago and went without visiting before, but that was when I was single! Now with a family in-tow there's so much more to consider. I would also be setting up some private practice work so want to get a feel for premises and make some contacts, still some limitation to what can be done on the internet. I would love to meet up with some people who have made the move too, particuarlly to get some advice around areas that might be good for us to live in. We've looked at Glenelg, north Adelaide and Norwood as possibilities but sometimes getting a 'feel' for a place is invaluable. Are you guys out there now?? x

Hi Growler, Thank you that's really helpful, I lived in Melbourne 10 year ago and went without visiting before, but that was when I was single! Now with a family in-tow there's so much more to consider. I would also be setting up some private practice work so want to get a feel for premises and make some contacts, still some limitation to what can be done on the internet. I would love to meet up with some people who have made the move too, particuarlly to get some advice around areas that might be good for us to live in. We've looked at Glenelg, north Adelaide and Norwood as possibilities but sometimes getting a 'feel' for a place is invaluable. Are you guys out there now?? x

So you have been to Australia and lived there for some time then, so you are not totally new to it, I would not go out without seeing it first, we went on holiday 3 times before moving out there - Adelaide is fab its entirely up to you, I was there in Adelaide 5 years ago and we are going back next week, I love it there, Glenelg, North Adelaide and Norwood are all very nice areas to live but quite expensive but thats cause they are good areas lol, we used to live in the north eastern suburbs around Athelstone which was lovely too, really depends what you want, we are moving down south this time to be nearer the beaches rather than the city this time, if its a business you want to set up may be a good idea to go over I am not sure how much you are gonna achieve though if you go over for a short time may be better to do it when you are actually properly there, if you are having doubts perhaps its not for you, seeing you have lived there before, but think you said its your hubby having doubts, everyone has doubts about making such a life changing move, its a bit like marmite you either love Adelaide or hate it lol and as I said we love it x

The cold feet thing is a natural part of the process IMHO. Keep in mind the goalposts are always moving and while your hubby may be having second thoughts now due to things being good for him in the UK, he may feel differently 6 months, a year down the road. Or you might. You can never know.

I'd say if you are sitting on the fence, then all who were granted a visa should go activate it and have a reccie at least. This way, even if you decide to put it on the back burner for a few years you still have time on your side should you decide to migrate on this visa. Or you may find after a reccie you both want it, return to the UK and make the move far sooner. Or don't go at all. But whichever way, give yourself those options in the first place.

If it is solely the work aspect that is causing your husband to have second thoughts, think carefully about what you want from life overall. If you have a good to great quality of life in the UK and are both happy, I'd have to ask why you would want to rock the boat so to speak. But if you wanted to move to Aus and both still want to but have a few things to get past, then look to moving in the future.

Its really a what works for one, won't work for another situation I think. My hubby is an Aussie and so I always knew I'd probably end up there are some point to live. However, he has been in the UK a fair while now and we both admit that if we feel after a couple of years in Aus (Adelaide) that it isn't where we want to be in the long term to live our lives, we'll head back to Europe, possibly the UK. Its about our quality of life overall and so we know we have to live there for a couple of years to know one way or the other for ourselves. We hope it will be long term but if its not, so be it. Its an adventure for us a family, an expense, but either way, we figure to go embrace it and see where it leads. Work wise hubby is going to go self employed so its a leap of faith for us in that respect but if we don't try, we'll never know.

Oh your last line really resonates with me ' If we don't try, we'll never know' that says it all - I don't want to look back at this incredible opportunity and think we didnt try it!! Also, even if we do return, it could be that by that point we all or our son gain citizenship, which could be invaluable for the future.