permanent residency

Guest Emmajo

Guest Emmajo

Hi all- i'm a permanent resident and have been for over 30yrs. I have a new brittish passport but figure I need a little something in there to grant me entry on return to Australia. Ive been on the immig website a couple of times but find the information conflicting- initially I thought I just needed a label (as we came over in 1979 and it was just a stamp re permanent status) but then I found the RRC subclass 155. It also says if I have the "stamp" not to apply for the RRV as this will cancel the previous?? Unfortuntely I no longer have the passport with the "stamp" but would the Government still have on file? Hope this makes sense as need advice- I found their "help" section of no use as they just sent the info from their website. Such a difference in charges re a label vs VISA, Im beginning to wonder if my 10 day holiday is worth it!!!! Thanks for reading

Hi all- i'm a permanent resident and have been for over 30yrs. I have a new brittish passport but figure I need a little something in there to grant me entry on return to Australia. Ive been on the immig website a couple of times but find the information conflicting- initially I thought I just needed a label (as we came over in 1979 and it was just a stamp re permanent status) but then I found the RRC subclass 155. It also says if I have the "stamp" not to apply for the RRV as this will cancel the previous?? Unfortuntely I no longer have the passport with the "stamp" but would the Government still have on file? Hope this makes sense as need advice- I found their "help" section of no use as they just sent the info from their website. Such a difference in charges re a label vs VISA, Im beginning to wonder if my 10 day holiday is worth it!!!! Thanks for reading

Hi Emmajo, I have just checked on the web site, a RRV subclass 155, though it is described as permanment it is actually valid for only 5 years from date of issue, therefor your existing one, if it was a RRV is now dead. However there are others which could still be valid but as you do not have proof of them anymore then forget that. Thus from what you say above you need to apply for a new RRV subclass 155, this can be done online by post or in person, the cost is $300.

Might be worth thinking about Citizenship if you are eligable and then get an Aus passport.

Good luck

Guest Emmajo

Thanks Keith- I had a feeling that was the case. Going to Thailand in November as I did think about my citizenship but was worried it would take to long and thght this would be the cheaper option.....how wrong was I!!! All went well with my passport, I figured the VISA would be the issue!!!!