Move October 2014 or wait until January2014 ??

apple

Hi All, We are trying to decide if it would be better to get a move on and fly to Adelaide in October/November this year or move in the new year. I have read mixed reports about the labour market. I am concerned that Adelaide might be "closed for business" from a recruitment and employment point of view in November and December. Is this urban myth? I am a community nurse and my husband is a IT project/service delivery manager. any advice appreciated.:smile:

Every agency I spoke too said that the job market does go quiet around that time, and my fellow IT work mates say the same. If you are worried about delaying and then having to pay lots in rental - try looking up the Aussie House Sitting websites - we got lucky with two house sits when we came over.

It is not an urban myth. Nov, Dec and Jan are generally the quietest times to look for work. Even ‘Christmas’ work will usually have all been recruited for by this time.

I worked in one job a few years ago and finished on 8 Decand didn’t start another contract until 2 Feb (I think it was). I am working on a contract at the moment thatis due to finish at the end of November. I will make financial provision to cover me in Dec and Jan because if my contract is not extended again, the likelihood is I will not secure work for those 2 months.

It is really your choice whether you come Oct or Jan. As a guide the average time at the moment itis taking to secure is 3 months, see this post if you haven’t seen it before

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/38765-statistics-time-its-taking-find-job-australia.html ,so you might want to get yourself settled in and start applying or wait till the new year, but then in Jan depending on how long it takes you to secure work it will then slow down again over the Easter period.

The Adelaide job market is not an exact science. You could turn up tomorrow and get a job or you could be waiting a while, sometimes it is down to being in the right place at the right time with the right skills.

All I would say is if you do come in October, just make financial provision for at least 3 months, just in case.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Guest Antlink

I just moved into Adelaide August 2013 (refrigeration mechanic) and I'm struggling to find basic Labour work (white card is a must) but I'm hopeful my main trade will pick up by the time my gap training is done.

For cheap accommodation hostels can be had for as low as $15 a night. After that I'm looking at gumtree for rentals.

Thanks so much for very helpful advice. Our present feeling is that we need to " get on with it" It is always going to be a calculated risk. A combination of savings and some extra borrowed capital should keep us going for 5-6 months until we have hopefully secured some employment. We have budgeted about $4000 per month for outgoings.

Guest Adelaide_bound

gumtree and air bnb can have good prices on for cheaper accommodation if you don't have a family (most are rooms in a house, like ours is a spare room we don't use a lot, only for when family visit, but you get different variations on a theme - one enterprising business is renting out its sofa bed in reception per evening for people to sleep in the CBD (you have to be gone by 8am or something when people start turning up for work lol!! :o). Some of them are studios etc, but the majority are just room type affairs....

It can be quite nice as you get the local persons help on stuff as well - we went through gumtree, but the guy also advertises on Air Bnb for the place we stayed at when we were looking for our long term rental - and got lots of tips on stuff in the local area etc. A lot cheaper as well :)