Agent or no agent?

Guest Spratnat

Guest Spratnat

Hi, with the increase cost of getting a visa now, we are looking to see if we can save money from elsewhere. Has anybody done the move to adelaide without a migration agent, was it ok or really difficult. Are agents the one thing worth paying the money for? Any advice gratefully appreciated. Thanks, Nat.

We are with Go Matila, we've just had to do the skills test on the 190 visa and just submitted our EOI. I personally think they're worth every penny. The references for example on the skills test are much more detailed than we could of ever imagined so I would definitely recommend them, even at the extra cost. We've laid them £2200 plus VAT

Hi, with the increase cost of getting a visa now, we are looking to see if we can save money from elsewhere. Has anybody done the move to adelaide without a migration agent, was it ok or really difficult. Are agents the one thing worth paying the money for? Any advice gratefully appreciated. Thanks, Nat.

Hi Nat,

We got our PR visas (State Sponsorship) issued March 2012, so prior to the current system, but I can't imagine it's that different now, just split into the 2 stages.

I managed the whole process on our behalf from start to finish - including pulling everything together for our skills assessments, application for State Sponsorship, all the paperwork which was required for the full visa application, police checks etc. It was a lot of work on top of working full-time, especially chasing up Uni's for transcripts etc and previous employers for references,:arghh: but to be honest, you won't get your visa any quicker using an agent. It just cuts out all the hassle and time of doing it yourself. But I see it as the money we saved doing it ourselves could be used for other important things.

All the Oz skills/visa authorities care about is that you get enough points and have all the evidence/paperwork they ask for to prove you are eligible. I also liked the fact I could log into various website to check the progress of our application and had direct contact ourselves, rather than having to wait for an agent to update us. I also felt more comfortable knowing everything that needed to be done had been, rather than leaving it with an agent who'll be working on other applications too. But that's just the way I saw it.

Hope that helps, and is our experience! Good Luck!!!:smile:

Guest Rachael M Bowen

We are using Immigration2oz and I can't fault them one bit. We too work full time in very stressful jobs and the thought of then having to start again once home with the visa process I honestly think we would have caved in and not bothered. Our agent has been fantastic, they have taken all the stress away from us and have been updating us all the way. Also no question is too silly to ask, and they have always got back to us the same day with an idiots guide answer.

I guess if you have the time and patience to DIY then it will save money.

Thanks that was really helpful & good to know it can be done on your own, just a bit more hard work!

We never used an agent for our visa. I like/need the feeling of being in control and being able to contact people myself.

As others said it was a bit stressful but Iwas off on maternity leave and did most of it while baby wad sleeping. Along with getting an operation, selling my partners house and planning our wedding all at the same time it was the most stressful time ever....but worth it.

Our daughter is 21 months old, we got married 7 weeks ago and have been in adelaide for 5 weeks

We did ours ourselves. Intended to use an agent and met with three who all gave different advice - some of which we knew was wrong from our own research. Not knowing who to trust, we did it ourselves. For us it was painless and quick. Others swear by using an agent, so it's a case of take your pick!

Good luck, Jim

I think it all depends on the visa type.

I applied for two temporary visas myself. I did lots of research and also found some agents gave incorrect advice. No problems at all, even with my husband having had a three year ban from Australia previously.

My most recent visa, the rsms I used an agent as it wasn't just down to me to prepare the application, and my employer had never done one before. They didn't really understand how much detail immigration needed, and certainly wouldn't have wanted me seeing all their financial information etc. This way the agent could stop them sending anything which was not detailed enough. It came with the added bonus that for employer sponsored applications the migration agents can submit the application as 'decision ready' meaning it is totally complete and immigration should not need to ask any more questions. For making sure it is complete these applications are then supposedly given priority and processed quicker.

There are not many agents I would trust though. I used George Lombard, but I would also have used Go Matilda.

Guest Spratnat

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question. Everyone's comments have been very helpful, Nat x

I think it all depends on the visa type.

I applied for two temporary visas myself. I did lots of research and also found some agents gave incorrect advice. No problems at all, even with my husband having had a three year ban from Australia previously.

My most recent visa, the rsms I used an agent as it wasn't just down to me to prepare the application, and my employer had never done one before. They didn't really understand how much detail immigration needed, and certainly wouldn't have wanted me seeing all their financial information etc. This way the agent could stop them sending anything which was not detailed enough. It came with the added bonus that for employer sponsored applications the migration agents can submit the application as 'decision ready' meaning it is totally complete and immigration should not need to ask any more questions. For making sure it is complete these applications are then supposedly given priority and processed quicker.

There are not many agents I would trust though. I used George Lombard, but I would also have used Go Matilda.

• 3 weeks later...