This is really bugging me now!! One for the nurses again!

Guest Kel87

Hi, I am literally sending hours a day on the Internet researching areas to live in where I'm likely to get work as a nurse, I've posted similar questions on pomsinoz and other sites but never get much response, Im going crazy thinking of it, I wake up and log onto the Internet and can't seem to get it off it for most of the day! (my poor kids:biglaugh:)

Ive never been to Adelaide before but for some reason both myself and husband just feel its right for us and our kids, we've never been big city living people, my family live in the Amish part of America and I love it! I've been told loads how boring Adelaide is, how backwards it is etc but it just sounds right for us and we really want to give it ago however having a job is obviously the most important Part of things working out when we arrive.

We will have a PR visa however due to childcare it will most likely only be myself working for the first while, I'm a 6 years experienced medical nurse and will be willing to work in any roles that I'm offered even casual work if it's likely I could make full time hours?

Looking for honest opinions, is it likely I'll find work (2014)? Would you look at other states? NSW for example appears to have loads of nursing vacancies however no matter how much I look at loads of areas I never get the feeling that it's the place for us.

Ofcourse there is no point moving to a state where I won't get work and we have to move again or return home because we have no money!

We will be coming with £20k which I know isn't much but not being home owners this is all from savings and all we'll have.

Thanks.

Guest hectorvector

Hi there,

like you I'm an rn and emigrated last September.

there are plenty of posts around but all tend to be either casual or contractual work.

if required you could easily work full time on a casual basis in order to get your foot in the door.

your best bet over here is to have a can-do attitude and be prepared to fit in around others to start with. Once Adelaidians figure out that you're good and reliable you're accepted and a few doors start opening.

i moved here from a small backwater town In the uk and adelaide simply feels like a big town where everybody tends to know each other. FYI I'm based in the north east and find the royal adelaide hospital to be the most convienient

hope this helps!!

Guest Russ c

Try healthcare elite, my wife managed to get full time before we arrived. We've been here for 4 weeks now and live in Henley beach. It's only 30 min to work for her from here, 15 min to city and have great schools here.

I just want to say Adelaide isn't at all boring. It's a very attractive city indeed and has much to offer everyone from all walks of life. Beautiful beaches; rich historic (albeit not ancient in European terms) culture; glorious climate (Mediterranean during the Summer months, although can be pretty chilly in Winter, but that's no problem for those of us from intemperate climes); wonderful restaurants; wineries offering the best of the best; great schools for our children, and loads more besides. There's much going on in and around Adelaide and life here can be as exciting or as mundane as you make it. There are plenty of switched-on people here who choose to make Adelaide home, so please don't despair. It's all here. I wish you well in your new adventure Down Under.

Edited by barbaitch

I just want to say Adelaide isn't at all boring. It's a very attractive city indeed and has much to offer everyone from all walks of life. Beautiful beaches; rich historic (albeit not ancient in European terms) culture; glorious climate (Mediterranean during the Summer months, although can be pretty chilly in Winter, but that's no problem for those of us from intemperate climes); wonderful restaurants; wineries offering the best of the best; great schools for our children, and loads more besides. There's much going on in and around Adelaide and life here can be as exciting or as mundane as you make it. There are plenty of switched-on people here who choose to make Adelaide home, so please don't despair. It's all here. I wish you well in your new adventure Down Under.

Ah barbaitch, that's just made me even more determined that I WILL find work in adelaide and not have to choose another state, believe me I've been getting loads of response from nursing jobs in perth but I'm just not getting that 'feeling' that its the place for us.

thanks for the other replies too.

My wife also got her job through healthcare elite (scrub nurse), but she was also in touch with other agencies. We looked at jobs on seek.com.au and took note of the agencies who were advertising them. Give them a call and see if they have anything available :-)