Australian citizenship

Rocky

I arrived in Adelaide with my family in April this year on a permanent visa .

Im realising there are definite benefits to being a citizen (uni fees etc)

does anyone know the current length of time you need to be here before applying for citizenship?

I know it's been increased in recent years

Many thanks

Dawn

As a general rule, 4 years. For instance, when you arrived on April 2nd 2013, you can apply for citizenship on April 2nd 2017.

Be aware of periods of time absent/abroad during that timeframe!

In the last year before applying for citizenship it is important that period of time outside of Australia does not extend more than 3 months, otherwise you can't apply.

immigov.com.au 'citizenship wizard' or google citizenship.gov.au where everything is explained very well.

I think it has changed. They now use the new formula of y +1 where y = the years you've actually been here and + 1 for the extra year they always add on!! Citizenship is always on the horizon you just have to keep running further to reach it.

Hi spanners, do you know what the value of the 'y' is they are looking for? 2yrs, 4yrs? to be eligiable? Are these to be continuous years of residency?

Rocky, without doubt its a great advantage to get citizenship asap, especially if you read some of the posts of people trying to get returning resident visa's and the like.

Cheers Keith

4 years from arrival. We have just got ours. We were here 2 yrs as temporary residents, 2 years+ now as permanent residents. For us, not much significance in being a citizen. Yes I can now apply for a student loan for my course, but on the flip side, we have to vote, hahaha. Other than that, no real difference. Unless you wanna work in defence perhaps. Oh, and it stops us having to pay to renew our visa.

It sure is significant, if your are wanting and choosing to live in a democratic country, and that country has accepted you, then being a citizen and being able to vote on the future of such a country surely is very significant. That apart if you still have loved ones back in your home country and, god forbid, should ever the need arise that you need to return at short notice then already having citizenship can make that trip less stressful, its not unknown for people not to be allowed back in and have to re apply from outside Aus. and as you say jo_marnes the saving of money and time for returning resident visa's is also a consideration.

It sure is significant, if your are wanting and choosing to live in a democratic country, and that country has accepted you, then being a citizen and being able to vote on the future of such a country surely is very significant. .

Totally agree!

We've been citizens through a few elections now and even though I am pretty cynical regarding the electoral system, I am still proud to be able to be part of it.

This is our home now, we are grateful that Australia gave us a go and we are all proud to be Australian.

That's what citizenship has given us, a sense of belonging to our new country.

(by jingo hahaha!)

LC

It's a privilege becoming Australian by 4 years only. Where I come from migrants have to wait 8 (!) years before they are eligible.

In my point of view Australia is still very generous offering citizenship, even they've changed the laws and rules from 2 years in 2007 to 4 years in 2010 (introducing the citizenship test, too).

Hopefully, they don't change the rules again after the election. When I think of New Zealand, where migrants have to wait 5 years before they can apply...

And Australia recently adopted New Zealand's skillselect migration scheme, which made it more complicated to get a permanent visa at all.