Banking in Adelaide

TonyD

Hi, looking at moving to Adelaide in Dec from the UK (Oldham) and wondering about banking. I have a job offer that I'll be taking up but wondering if I need an A us bank account straight away or get my salary paid into my UK HSBC bank account - any advice anyone can give would be much apreciated.TD

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Tony!

I think you'll need an Aust one, its easy though, i think you can do it from the uk then have to go in to a branch on arrival and compleate it. Not sure if its an advantage to do that, we didn't, just went into a bank after we were here with our passports etc and they basically did it all for us.

Watch out for bank charges here on different accounts, its been 5+ years and i still dont really get it all, some accounts only let you use atm a few times a month then charge you each time.....also for some reason your chequing account is you savings account and vice versa and you can put both through as credit:wacko:

We just get out a certain amount in cash for the week and that seems to work for us now, the first couple of months here we got huge charges (our fault we didn't read all that bloody small print!)

Wow December arrival eh?......be ready for the weather!......

Best of luck!

Guest Claire-n-tel
You can open up an Aus bank account while still in the UK. Easy enough. We did this last week.

Pah!.....Snifter i always manage to waffle on in my posts only to finally publish it to find you've betten me with the answer in a nutshell!

<note to self.....stop waffling!>

Guest Guest75

Watch it !!! The banks here are robbers, taking out unseemly amounts for "charges" and so on.:arghh:

Oh ,wait a minute..........................that applies to any bank in the world I reckon.!!!!!:biglaugh:

I'll second the comments here,you will need an Australian account I reckon.

HSBC are here in Aus but only have one branch in Adelaide. I was also (still am) with HSBC in the UK, easy to open an account with them from your UK branch and also transfer money, but maybe worth checking out other transfer options to see if any better deals. Once in Aus I used HSBC until I finished trawling around the banks sussing out. I was first with St George ok, now The Commonwealth good. I Believe snifter opened a commonwealth account from/in the UK.

good luck with everything

Guest Adelaide_bound
HSBC are here in Aus but only have one branch in Adelaide. I was also (still am) with HSBC in the UK, easy to open an account with them from your UK branch and also transfer money, but maybe worth checking out other transfer options to see if any better deals. Once in Aus I used HSBC until I finished trawling around the banks sussing out. I was first with St George ok, now The Commonwealth good. I Believe snifter opened a commonwealth account from/in the UK.

good luck with everything

HSBC in Oz and HSBC in UK are not the same bank, they are merely owned by the same parent company or something but they are not the same, so if you have an HSBC account in the UK, its not the same as having one here.

Most accounts now seem to have fee free accounts for basic use when you first get here - we are still with the same account we opened in the UK, online, before we landed (you just pop along to the branch you nominate with your passport to be IDed when you arrive and it goes live, so you can get money out, you can pay money into it from the UK before you get here if you want - handy when you're earning 7+% interest on it, against 0.1% interest in the UK lol). I'm opening another basic pay money in from people whom want to pay me, and get cash out/card to use to buy things account this week - no fees and they actually pay me 50c if I get $200 out cashback lol :D

Guest Adelaide_bound

FFS - a bit sick and tired of having to justify every tiny thing I say on this place.

Yes, I made it up, because that would be a fun wheeze wouldn't it?

We got that rate from NAB, on our linked savings account, which we could put money in and take it out as much as we wanted with no penalties, if we transferred it to our 'using' account it went over immediately, which we thought was pretty spanking. It was a really good introductory rate for when we opened the account with them, and then with an extra special bonus on top of that as well for the first 12 months and then when we were in there the other month paying some cash into our normal account, the teller said 'oh I can put your interest rate up on your saving account if you want' as well, so it went up again (although not that high) for a short period again which was nice.

Last thing I'm saying on here, as it really does seem every little thing I say gets attacked - its not like people are saying "Wow, you're so lucky, can you tell us where you got that, because I;d like that too", the way its worded, with all the exclamations and so on it really does have the tone of accusation. If you think I'm over reacting, perhaps rather think about how you react to other people's posts, rather than just thinking the problem isn't with you - if everyone did that, maybe this place wouldn't be going through another little snippy stage again.

Guest Guest75
FFS - a bit sick and tired of having to justify every tiny thing I say on this place.

Yes, I made it up, because that would be a fun wheeze wouldn't it?

We got that rate from NAB, on our linked savings account, which we could put money in and take it out as much as we wanted with no penalties, if we transferred it to our 'using' account it went over immediately, which we thought was pretty spanking. It was a really good introductory rate for when we opened the account with them, and then with an extra special bonus on top of that as well for the first 12 months and then when we were in there the other month paying some cash into our normal account, the teller said 'oh I can put your interest rate up on your saving account if you want' as well, so it went up again (although not that high) for a short period again which was nice.

Last thing I'm saying on here, as it really does seem every little thing I say gets attacked - its not like people are saying "Wow, you're so lucky, can you tell us where you got that, because I;d like that too", the way its worded, with all the exclamations and so on it really does have the tone of accusation. If you think I'm over reacting, perhaps rather think about how you react to other people's posts, rather than just thinking the problem isn't with you - if everyone did that, maybe this place wouldn't be going through another little snippy stage again.

(sigh). I was not "pickfaulting" just asking in fun,perhaps the reverse of your post back at you???:eek:

Dear me,most of my posts are in fun and should be easily seen to be such.:biglaugh::goofy:

Did not see a smiley after the sum of 7% and TBH someone should have picked that up if it was not clearly stated as "a wheeze" ,it will have folk scurrying off to find this sum of intrest. Ya do have tobe careful what you say sometimes on here -put yourself in the shoes of an absolute beginner to the forum and moving to Australia.:cute::cute:

Anyway I chose not to be that way and posted "in fun".:tongue::tongue::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Now where is that set of ladders to get off this horse...........................they are around here somewhere as needed regularly:policeman:

Large amount of empoticons inserted...........:cute:

HSBC in Oz and HSBC in UK are not the same bank, they are merely owned by the same parent company or something but they are not the same, so if you have an HSBC account in the UK, its not the same as having one here.

I went into my HSBC branch in UK, asked to open an account in AUS job done, transfer money, job done, same bank or not it was that easy, problem and stress free in branches both here and in the UK. Everyone is free to offer up their experiences, as I had the same bank as the op then I did just that, job done.

Pah!.....Snifter i always manage to waffle on in my posts only to finally publish it to find you've betten me with the answer in a nutshell!

<note to self.....stop waffling!>

lol, I am world expert in waffle and have been caught out many a time posting a reply :cute:

Hubby went with CBA as he'd used them before and they welcomed him back with open arms and fees waived which was nice. Had a lovely phonecall from a chap in their London office and have had someone the Aus side email introducing themselves as our 'relationship manager'. Not quite sure what the term means but here is hoping its good news. Everything is sorted for when we arrive which is the main thing.

• 1 month later...
Guest MandiMR2
I went into my HSBC branch in UK, asked to open an account in AUS job done, transfer money, job done, same bank or not it was that easy, problem and stress free in branches both here and in the UK. Everyone is free to offer up their experiences, as I had the same bank as the op then I did just that, job done.

Hi there, I'm currently still in the UK until Jan '13 & currently bank with HSBC. I'm now researching about finances, what to do regarding transfers, bank accounts, savings, etc.. I plan to make an appointment at the bank to make enquiries, but can I ask you a few questions?... are you still with HSBC now? was it an international account you opened in Oz? Was you charged to transfer money from UK to Oz acc? Can I keep funds in the UK acc until when I decide to transfer - which may be a long while? can I keep my ISA here in the UK & continue to contribute? if not is there an ISA there? can I use my UK debit card to make online transactions, e.g. amazon, moonpig, for purchasing gifts for UK family & friends instead of posting internationally?

Much appreciated, Mandi :-)