adelaide good/bad ?

Guest sazzle

Guest sazzle

Hey,

just started the process for applying for our visa's to adelaide, however I would love to actually hear straight from the horses mouth what it is actually like living in South Australia, rather than being caught up in the promotional material that says australia is the best place on earth. We will be moving out there from Leeds and would love to know anyones thoughts; maybe 5 good points and 5 bad points about living in Adelaide.

many thanks

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Hey,

just started the process for applying for our visa's to adelaide, however I would love to actually hear straight from the horses mouth what it is actually like living in South Australia, rather than being caught up in the promotional material that says australia is the best place on earth. We will be moving out there from Leeds and would love to know anyones thoughts; maybe 5 good points and 5 bad points about living in Adelaide.

many thanks

Hi,

Why do you want to come to Australia and Adelaide that should be the most important question at this time. Hopefully Adelaide will be the anwser to your anwsers,

Good luck

Guzzler

Guest Guest75

Another fellow from our home town!!

Adelaide is a good place to live and after a few years here we have really settled.

It's HOME;)

It is tough in the first few years with many testing times.

All was brought home to me when I returned after 5 years - then I really saw the difference and knew where home was.

Our lifestyle has changed completely now.We were working 7 days a week - yes 7 to keep and expand a business.There is more to life than that - even though it helped our move here.We are now doing things so different here,even the small things.

You have to really want to come here rather than just "escape" the UK.

As Guz says you really have to think about why you want to come here.

I really can't say if Adelaide will be good for you or not - it ticked all of our boxes.

There does seem to be a bit of everything for everyone in Adelaide - sometimes it just takes a bit of finding.

Our next step is to start travelling/take holidays to see what the rest of this country is like.

So far we have only been to Melbourne twice and that was very different - and made us appreciate "backward" (sic) Adelaide even more.

Now just trying to organise a trip to Darwin,it sounds amazing now it's in the dry season.

Guest Rob and Clare

5 Good Points :

Weather - it's warm for approx 7 months of the year... the other 5 months are quite cool in the evenings

Safer Streets - No Gangs or Hoodies

More to do - For such a small city, there are heaps of stuff to do most of the year....

Cheaper to Eat out - and a better choice

Lifestyle - not an easy one to explain, but we do more and made great friends... maybe just a combination of the above.

5 Bad Points

Poor Quality Supermarkets - miss Waitrose

Football - Can't just go to a match on a saturday

She'll be right - Don't understand how lax some businesses are here, I work in Supply Chain Managment witnin Automotive, and companies here are poor...

Poverty - Although it's expensive to live here (maybe as much as UK), I think there is so much poverty around, Not sure if it's down to finances or just laziness, but washing, maintaining the house or even wearing shoes is just something some people don't do.....

We're not Australian - Apart from the occasional anti English joke, I find it boring to read the paper or watch the TV for locally made programs, we don't know the local celebreties, and that takes time to get used too.... I watch the footy show on TV sometimes but still miss Soccer AM from Sky....

Rob

I would say the washing of self and clothes is just laziness. Not doing up the house, could be finance and also laziness. The wearing of no shoes well until fairly recently kids didn't wear shoes in summer except to go to school or church. Especially those in the country. It's just a different outlook. Just as those jelly sandals really took on here for kids, but were considered a povo option when we were in UK. A lot of aborigines don't wear shoes especially if they come down from the lands.

Guest thelincolns

O-M-G:wacko:

Don't wash or wear shoes? How much of that do you still see- even in the city suburbs?

Thanks for your honesty- it does not reflect badly on anyone but a bit of objectivity is most welcome from me. It is a bit difficult to get the cons out with clarity, people seem to take any negatives a bit too personally sometimes!

I have never been to SA and is good to get prepared. Everywhere has pros and cons. I lived in one the best area Cambridge and in Windsor and still there were really bad roughies roaming in certain areas... still they are lovely places on the whole.

Please more analysis on the cons!! THANKS ROB + CLARE!

Most people wash here, having a daily shower or two in summer is the norm.

Cons fromsomeone who has lived here a long time......

The locals hate change, complain like mad, but take to the new thing anyway eg the Tram extension.

The North Adelaide society pulls way too much power in city developments blocking developments that benefit all residents rather than those who live in the centre.

School fees for public schools.

Fees for uni courses ( I remember when they were free here)

Adelaide really works on a who you know basis, which can be hard for newcomers. It takes time to establish a network as people prefer to employ those who have been recommended eg painters, electricians.

Dental care is very expensive if you need something done.

My car eat up way too much petrol, which now costs a lot.

Guest The Pottertons

No washing or wearing shoes!!!!!:err:. Thumbs up from my 2 ankle biters then;). Another example of just how chilled out people are i guess. Yvonnex

Guest The Pottertons
Most people wash here, having a daily shower or two in summer is the norm.

Cons fromsomeone who has lived here a long time......

The locals hate change, complain like mad, but take to the new thing anyway eg the Tram extension.

The North Adelaide society pulls way too much power in city developments blocking developments that benefit all residents rather than those who live in the centre.

School fees for public schools.

Fees for uni courses ( I remember when they were free here)

Adelaide really works on a who you know basis, which can be hard for newcomers. It takes time to establish a network as people prefer to employ those who have been recommended eg painters, electricians.

Dental care is very expensive if you need something done.

My car eat up way too much petrol, which now costs a lot.

No different from the uk then!!!!:D

Hi

We are also just starting out with our application to Adelaide and are from Leeds. We submitted our TRA yesterday so with any luck we are looking to move over next year. Did you go to the Leeds Expo as we were in Spain so missed it and wondered if it was any good as there is another in Rothwell soon but you have to pay to book your place.

Andi

Guest Rob and Clare
:biglaugh:I found it hard to come up with generalised cons. Much easier to list the good bits.:biglaugh:

I'm way too much of an optimist for that kind of thing.

Optimism is good, but you need to be realistic as well....

The fact is some 60% of british migrants go back within a 5 year period, this has to be something to do with having unrealistic expections of life here.

I can see some bad points about Adelaide and Australia as a whole, but to me those points are insignificant compared to England currently. For all of us though you have to weigh up if it's the right move for you, pro's and cons included.

As for the washing, apparently this is the Poms who arrived in the 50's / 60's, so friends here love to tell me, as they only bath once a week. I just know after 4 weeks of getting the train from the north to the south i saw so many people (families included) who's skin and clothes made my sin crawl.. I don't get the shoe thing, during a night in glenelg we caught a car park lift with a young girl dressed up for a night out, she was barefoot and the lift stank like a toilet, to think she would tred that in her home etc made me gag. It no longer suprises me to see someone food shopping in Pyjama's at 8:00pm, and why are beards so popular ??? Have people not seen the Gillette adverts..... ha ha...

These occurances are more common away from the city, but can still appear anywhere...

Guest Tracijbc

To be honest, it all sounds pretty easily accepted. If shoeless people who need a bath are the worst Adelaide has to throw at me, after living in Nottingham all my life and having some crazy criminal set my house on fire at 3.30am whilst we were asleep upstairs, well, I guess I have made the right decision!!!

Bring on the smelly shoeless and I'll live my life peacefully and happily. :D

T xx

PS - No Waitrose is a bit of a bummer though. :(

Guest thelincolns

Are houses in general not kept well- which areas do you think that is true?

House pride is a very admirable British quality that I have really appreciated here. Where about would you say houses are well kept?

And what is the reaction of neighbours if you get busy mowing the lawn, doing up the exterior to improve the appearance of your home etc

What about dressing kids in good clothes? Do they get marginalised for being trendy-and what about being trendy in general???

Very curious :chatterbox:

Guest The Pottertons

I think being house proud is great if its doable. I feel a lot of pressure to have the perfect home, cook fantastic meals, have spotless kids etc but to be honest its just not realistic with 2 kids and a part time job. I'm looking forward to the relaxed frame of mind people seem to have. If you've not managed to hoover its no big deal etc. If im more relaxed about running the perfect home then i'll have more time with the kids. i want to live my life not stay in cleaning whilst life passes me by. I know it sounds extreme but i do know people that literally kill themselves to be the perfect housewife and mother.

Please dont think im a scruffy mare by this- my house is clean honest- but lived in!!!!:biglaugh:

But i must draw the line at no shoes! I like my feet soft!!! This post makes me sound crazy doesnt it!!!:biglaugh::mad: Yvonne x

Guest jill wright

How very well put Yvonne. I think theres far too much pressure here to have the house spot on,work fulltime (that is both of you) to keep up to the latest gadgets,designer clothes etc plus holiday abroad yearly. It can all get too much. I do hasten to add I do non of the afore mentioned but there again looking around me of course I do (apart from the spotless house I've got three kids) like most people in this country it creeps up on you without you noticing.

Bring on Oz smelly feet and all

Jill

Guest thelincolns

:nah:

Oh, dear. I did not mean to say I subscribe to the "keeping up with the Joneses" but I do like a bit of effort in keeping my house presentable, without having to be obsessive compulsive.

A half-decently kept exterior- and no grossness.

I also agree having a house spic&span without paid help is unattainable. And I was not talking about designer clothes, but smartness in general. You can be smartly dressed in ASDA clothes after all!

Please don't shoot me ;)

Guest jill wright

Not at all I do like a lovely, tidy house and like I said all my kids like trendy clothes which like I said you end up striving to get (just got my daughters prom dress as she leaves school to go to colloge soon cost me £300 ). It would just be nice to not feel as much pressure and the laid back lifestyle appeals thats all I meant

I wasn't being critical of how anyone runs there home,what they buy etc

JILl

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Yes I dont get the whole beard thing why in this climate would you ?

quote]

Its the sign of a real Ozzie man, along with his V8 ute and nasal technology!:biglaugh:

Guest Gamba "n" Kerry

HI Rob and clair, Rob you say you work in supply chain management within automotive? is this as we say back in England The transport industry? Im actually a HGV mechanic and was wondering what sort of job opps are in and around Adelaide.Just starting our process so wont be going just yet!!

Cheers Gamba n Kerry.

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi,

Sorry we're a supplier into the automotive industry, including the 3 domestic car companies and loads of overseas companies.

With such a large haulage industry here i could imagine there are loads of opportunites for a HGV mechanic, but you may also be able to get into Defence, you do not always need security clearence to work within the work shops at companies like Tenix, and they are always looking for mechanics.

Good luck with your application

Guest The Pottertons
:nah:

Oh, dear. I did not mean to say I subscribe to the "keeping up with the Joneses" but I do like a bit of effort in keeping my house presentable, without having to be obsessive compulsive.

A half-decently kept exterior- and no grossness.

I also agree having a house spic&span without paid help is unattainable. And I was not talking about designer clothes, but smartness in general. You can be smartly dressed in ASDA clothes after all!

Please don't shoot me ;)

Sorry Guys if my post came across wrong. Didnt mean it to be directed at you guys particularly, just wanted to express my relief at the fact people arent generally as obsessive as society is here. I have been sucked in to the nice clothes, holidays and doing your best for the family at all times brigade by my own admission. And cant wait to just have a much more simple life!!!!:cute: Yvonne x