validating my visa(489)

Guest barry family

Guest barry family

Hi everyone I am coming to Adelaide to validate my visa in a few weeks and wondering if I need to renew my passport as there is only 5 months left on it . Also when im in Adelaide do I need to organise anything while im here . Hope to move here by the end of the year (HAPPY DAYS) .

Thanks for any help

I am a bit new to the visa thing as i am only just starting out on this journey, would you mind if i asked why you have to come out to validate your visa?

When you are granted a visa you have a timeframe in which to 'activate' it by entering Australia and clearing immigration.

Some people are not ready to make the a to move once their visa is actually granted but will still have to validate else the visa will lapse.

Iirc (at least for my visa) you have one year from your medical or police check, whichever is done first, to make the first entry. Not entering Australia within that year means the visa is null and void. I had about an 8 month window after it was granted to make that first entry therefore. As we are moving over well within that timeframe I am not making a validation trip. Just moving so visa will be activated when we move.

Validation trips can be expensive as everyone who has been granted a visa has to validate, not just the main applicant.