April Skills Assessment

JoanneV

Guest The Pottertons

Hi there. Us too. My hubby is qualified as a carpenter and joiner which apparently is rare as the skills assessments are for either or. So we are kind of hoping that the loophole may mean there is no need to do the practical but thats probably wishful thinking. Anyway if he does have to do it we'll be on the next one which i believe is in august? So any useful tips would be good for us too! He'll probably see your hubby there Joanne! Yvonne:wubclub:

Hi,

My hubby will be doing his skills assessment for joinery soon - we've had a VETASSES candidate guide through from our agents which describes in detail what is involved!

If anyone wants a copy - please pm and I will gladly send you one out or email you a copy.

Mark & Yvonne - my hubby is qualified carpenter/joiner and still has to do the practical - sorry!

Kim x

Guest The Pottertons

Hiya, Thanks for the post. Just curious really. Has your hubby got his qualification just in carpentry or joinery aswell? We thouhgt it was normal to have the qualification in both but they dont have a carpentry and joinerypractical assesment so short of doing both (which would be very annoying) Our agent says we'll be going through TRA instead of vetassess. I however am not convinced and keep thinking we'll apply for TRa only for them to say they dont deal with that either. Sorry if this makes no sense. But a copy of your brief would be great for a read through if you dont mind. Our email is mark.potterton@ntlworld.com. Thanx for the info, Yvonne x

Guest The Pottertons

Thanks kim- you must have edited it whilst i was i posting. Out of interest did you fill out the TRA forms or are their different forms for Vetassess? Thought it was wishful thinking!!! Sometimes i think these agencys dont know what they are talking about!!!

Hi,

All the forms we have relate to VETASSES - I know it used to be called the TRA, but not sure if its incorporated into the VETASSES now, some people still call it TRA regardless.

Its all a bit of a minefield really isn't it! OH is quite happy to sit back and let me sort it all out!:arghh: I'm just glad I don't have to do the practical.

Kim x

Guest The Pottertons

Thanks for that Kim. No the TRA is a separate body and we have been told to fill these out by our agent. Just looked at the vetasses forms online and thay are different. Gonna get onto the agent now- think we are being led a merry dance!:biglaugh: Gotta keep your sense of humour hey! Know what you mean about the fellas leaving it to us too!:arghh: Yvonne x

Guest soggy
Hi,

All the forms we have relate to VETASSES - I know it used to be called the TRA, but not sure if its incorporated into the VETASSES now, some people still call it TRA regardless.

Its all a bit of a minefield really isn't it! OH is quite happy to sit back and let me sort it all out!:arghh: I'm just glad I don't have to do the practical.

Kim x

As I understand it, TRA and vetasses are different bodies, certain trades that did TRA before now have go to vetassess I think these include electricians, plumbers, carpenters,brickies,and some others, if your a painter and decorator you still go to TRA. There is still confusion in Australia because these new reguations only apply to a few countries, the trades that now go to vetassess in the UK would in other countries still go to TRA. The idea is to have tougher testing in the UK to reduce the amount of time it takes to get your qualifications recognised in Aus, the trouble is the training bodies in Aus only have the same courses available as they have always had so in many cases it's just means more expence and for no benifit. Maybe they will have it all sorted soon !:)

Simon:):)

Hi there. Us too. My hubby is qualified as a carpenter and joiner which apparently is rare as the skills assessments are for either or. So we are kind of hoping that the loophole may mean there is no need to do the practical but thats probably wishful thinking. Anyway if he does have to do it we'll be on the next one which i believe is in august? So any useful tips would be good for us too! He'll probably see your hubby there Joanne! Yvonne:wubclub:

Hiya, thanks for your reply. It's wishful thinking on my part for John to take his skills assessment soon. He has not long qualified as a joiner (change of career!) so I emailed Vetasses and they said he needs at least 2 years works experience to be able to go through to the practical, so, next year for us I think :arghh:. Anyway I will keep on raking in as much info as I can to prepare us, think we will need it!! Good luck for your OH skills assessment.

Joanne

Guest The Pottertons

Well Ive just heard back from my agent who says it depends on what country your application is lodged in, much as simon says. As our lawyer is in Tasmania and he is lodging on our behalf our application goes through TRA. We just have to wait and find out if we need to do the practical now. Will let you all know though as it may be a loophole to not do the practical assessment. If not we are expecting to do it anyway so its no loss. But thanks to Kim and the vetassess guideleines for the practical we'll be well prepared- Thanks again for that!