is it normal to feel like this....

Growler

Hi everyone, im a blubbering mess at the moment supposed to be coming back to adelaide to start work we both have jobs in mount barker in 7 weeks, flights are booked for 4 weeks, have a short term let arranged, car hire sorted etc. Now it seems im changing my mind. Weve made a mess of things in the UK but now there is a light at the end of the tunnel, things are picking up and i cant feel like i dont want to go when i do want to go. Ive been awake all night, and feel dreadful. Do i hand my notice in to my landlord today as was planned...then thats it no turning back. Sorry to go on i cant believe how torn i feel. Family, money, regrets kept me awake all night, scared we wont make friends ahhh what should i do i feel sick and upset

Everyone has doubts. Even I had a moment of wondering if we were doing the right thing and I don't do emotions. There have been plenty of posts on the forum that are very similar to yours since I've been on them. It is normal and you are not alone. Remember, it's not for ever and you can always move back if you really don't like it here. Think of it as an adventure and a long working holiday if that helps. Good luck.

I think its totally normal to have the wobbles in the run up to leaving. Just about everyone does. Its how you decide to deal with them I think. If you panic and don't go, you may find in a few months you change your mind and could kick yourself. Most people usually work through them and head off just fine. If you've always had doubts or not been keen to emigrate, then I'd be more inclined to think twice about moving, but if its what you've wanted and planned for, go for it.

I had my wobble few weeks ago and am out the other side now. It wasn't that I felt I didn't want to leave but life is good for us in England and we are happy. And its been such a lovely summer, out lots, friends and so on I began to wonder what on earth we were doing. But to be fair, I never felt I didn't want to leave, just a bit more sad to going was all. I looked at it as a wobble and realised it for what it was and that I could get through it.

FWIW I am totally calm now and we leave next week. I'm all packed, the shipping goes on Friday and I can't wait to get on the plane and hubby and son are looking forward to it also.

Edited by snifter
typo

We arrived 3wks ago & we both felt a little panicky leaving loved ones especially at the airport which was particularly difficult so I would suggest you go it alone! When we arrived things gradually fell into place, we've had one spectacular wobble since arriving but after a good cry we both felt much better & it's actually what we needed! We are concentrating on the positives of the move like work & getting regularly paid which never happened in the uk whilst we owned our own business. The first weekend we watched the killer whales in port Elliott & it was a surreal experience, we've also just sat & listened to the waves on an evening, simple things like that make it all worth while for us. Plus there is no end to the help we have received from other people from the phone we where lent to the sat nav to just general helpful advice. So chin up & nothing ventured nothing gained!!!

Guest MandiMR2

I'd say it's absolutely normal, in fact I think it would be abnormal for anyone moving 10,000+ miles NOT to have any doubts, wobbles or uncertainties. As above we've had similar doubts, we have a great life in the UK, mortgage free home, stable careers, reliable friends, family & neighbours & after the superb summer we've just had which enabled us to get outdoors more than ever before, the doubts returned once again. But I know we were lucky with the weather & as for everything else, we're certain we will regain once settled in Adelaide. So like us, persist with your dreams & go for it, as I'm sure it would be better to give it a go & try it, then not to try at all, the latter will cause more regrets. Best of luck, Mandi x