The Au system, compared to the UK system.

Guest Guest11535

Guest Guest11535

Would anyone disagree if I make the statement that, "there is no point in coming to Au if you haven't a PR because the benefit system here in Au is much better compared to the Uk".

It's something that I have observed and listened to from quotes made by 190 holders and 489 visa holders.

IMO, there are people who come over here to use the system to their advantage, just like certain minorities move to the UK to use the system over there.

Its just an opinion and a statement, but how many on benefits would go back if they had their benefits taken away.

Edited by Guest11535

Would anyone disagree if I make the statement that " there is no point in coming to Au if you haven't a PR because the benefit system here in Au is much better compared to the UK".It's something that I have observed and listened to from quotes made by 190 holders and 489 visa holders, IMO there are people who come over here to use the system to their advantage just like certain minorities move to the UK to use the system over there.Its just an opinion and statement and how many would go back if they had their benefits taken away.

What a strange post???

Quick answer No.

The more I think about it, the more I think it is generally the opposite I tend to hear. Maternity benefits etc not so good (and until not long ago non existent). Prices of things in general more expensive, and even if pr you can't claim for most benefits (child ones excepted) until you have been here two years. No, certainly not heard anyone coming for the benefits.

Hmm. This is quite interesting, thank you garyupnorth.

I don't know whether people come specifically for the benefits but I do think that if you have littlies they seem pretty generous. I can't compare it with the UK system because it was a bit too long ago, but I know when we got our first money from Centrelink I phoned up thinking there had been a fabulous mistake in our favour!

My kids are no longer at school and reality has bitten, particularly for my son. Like many of the people we know, my OH and I have a combined income above the $50-something k so he isn't eligible for anything.

So, maybe, if you have young kids when you come over then the system is more generous than the UK but if you have no kids or older dependents, then it might be less so?

I would imagine that when people migrate they do so in the belief that they can afford it without being so heavily dependant on benefits that they have to leave if the money is not forthcoming. That said, I will be interested to see what other people think.

Would anyone disagree if I make the statement that " there is no point in coming to Au if you haven't a PR because the benefit system here in Au is much better compared to the UK".

It's something that I have observed and listened to from quotes made by 190 holders and 489 visa holders, IMO there are people who come over here to use the system to their advantage just like certain minorities move to the UK to use the system over there.

Its just an opinion and statement and how many would go back if they had their benefits taken away.

Completely disagree. In my opinion, people don't come to Australia expecting benefits and having never claimed benefits in the UK I wouldn't know the difference. I think its a bit harsh to make the statement about people coming just for benefits, especially when it costs so much to get here. Not sure how much a temporary visa costs but a permenant visa, along with skills assessments, ielts, etc cost a hell of a lot of money. Most people, I'm sure want to work and earn their money. Permanent visa is obviously the way to go, gives added securities if, for some reason, you can't work.

Agree with the others. The only benefits you get when you first move over are the child tax benefits and childcare benefit which only apply if you are earning below a certain amount, and the childcare rebate which everyone gets. While I would say they are a bit more generous than what you get in the UK they are certainly not worth moving half way across the world for.

I'm coming over on a PR visa and intend to work, as does my wife when the kids go back to school (she's a teacher). However, it would be foolish not to take benefits we are eligible for (family assistance and childcare costs) when we will be paying into the economy year on year moving forward.

I don't think PR visas are given out to those who are going to be a drain on the economy, and I certainly don't think people emigrate (at a cost of at least £10k for us) for benefits - so I pretty much totally disagree with the original post.

Edited by guspjmh

Guest ColinOz

If you have PR you have a newly immigrant waiting period of two years, so even if you were planning to claim benefits as soon as you land on Australia you will have to wait

If you have PR you have a newly immigrant waiting period of two years, so even if you were planning to claim benefits as soon as you land on Australia you will have to wait

That isn't the case for family assistance and child care rebate is it?

If so I may have to reconsider the whole move..... :wink:

Agree strange post as I'm sure most people who move to Australia have finding work very high in their list of priorities. More importantly do people think the change in government may end up with a tougher approach to immigrants thinking of the recent news and those entering without permission?

Things have and will continue to toughen up in UK regardless of what Europe thinks and tries to impose. The change of government towards the right (as in Aus) usually ends up in more introverted policies which sometimes IS important but could be bad news for many potential immigrants especially if this goes hand in hand with a tightening economy.

S

Australia is far too expensive living on benefits only. Only imagine living in Sydney or Perth with this kind of exorbitant rents there! The benefits wouldn't even last to pay for rent. I also think like many said before, that migrants come to contribute to Australian economy and not exploiting its welfare system. The UK and Europe have better welfare systems by the way, in Australia everything at Centrelink is means-tested anyway, so people with huge savings after the 2 year waiting period would get nothing. For example, if my partner would loose his job, my income and our savings are too high to make him eligible to get any centrelink payments.

Guest Guest11535

Would anyone disagree if I make the statement that, "there is no point in coming to Au if you haven't a PR because the benefit system here in Au is much better compared to the Uk".

so the answer to this is YES, people would disagree with my statement, also the system must be better as members on this thread who couldn't claim in the UK are able to claim here in Oz.

It's something that I have observed and listened to from quotes made by 190 holders and 489 visa holders

190 holders have better securities and access to centre link , where as 489 holders are self funding for 2 years.

IMO, there are people who come over here to use the system to their advantage, just like certain minorities move to the UK to use the system over there.

its a debate that has been raging in the UK for years and possibly why some Brits leave the UK to come to Oz. Therefore, there must be some ( no mention of race, colour or creed in the OP) who come here to Oz to use the system to their advantage. Just like the UK.

Its just an opinion and a statement, but how many on benefits would go back if they had their benefits taken away.

Nobody would go back as nobody seems to have committed themselves on this statement.

It might have been a strange question and statement, although it is an open debate in the UK and over the years caused controversy. Does it seem "strange" because it has been asked by a Brit, on a poms forum, towards Brits who are migrants in a foreign country?

Asking a question is a learning process! If nobody asks, nobody learns.

Edited by Guest11535

What a load of rubbish!! Just a dig at the people with PR visa's I think!!

What you must take into account is the amount of money (thousands) and time (years +) spent obtaining a PR visa is massive, compared to obtaining most temporary visas. It's got nothing to do with benefits at all, the majority of people know how they are going to manage before they arrive in Australia, and if they haven't got a job, most people certainly have the funds to manage until they get a job. Giving or taking away benefit payments from families is certainly not going to make a difference to whether you should come here in the first place or go back to the UK. Like I said in my earlier post, maybe its worth spending the time and money on obtaining PR visa before emigrating.

Guest Guest11535

I wasn't having a dig, too old for that,....if asking a question and making a statement (I accept maybe a controversial one) is wrong or deemed as having a go, I am sure that Admin and the Mods would have removed the post. Just like the previous threads regarding "too many migrants" there will be controversial posts that may be uncomfortable for some to read.

if you feel that I have offended PR's then I am sorry for that, I did not mean to offend.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest11535

@ lily rainbow....this seems to be a controversial thread and nobody wants to commit themselves into admitting that they know the system. My advice is, once you arrive in Oz, get yourself to centre link and ask what you can claim for and what assistance is available for people in your position.

If you have kids there is 2 routes you can go down and you don't have to wait the 2 years and that's as much as I know.

Just a shame nobody on this forum can assist with your question, once you have got the advice could you please post on here as there may be others on a RRV who require this information.

Hi garyupnorth! Apologies hon,I don't actually need any benefits as such,I was just wondering matter of factly so to speak!I'm also wondering why no one would actually tell you the facts about benefits?Its no big secret is it?I mean if anyone really wanted to know,either a phone call to a migration agent or to Centrelink itself would suffice surely?I would assume anyone spending the time,money and what not getting themselves to Oz,are doing so to hopefully forge a better life,not move over to scab of the benefit system?