crunch time

Guest ktotheb

Guest ktotheb

Hi

My partner, myself and 2 kids (3+4) are planning to move to oz by jan 14. My partner is getting a study visa and is looking to become a nurse. Hopfully this will lead onto perm residency. We are selling up and putting most our money into this move. Ww are worried now because we are weighing up the risks. If we stay in the uk we will be secure and settled but we want a better life style especially for our children. Its pretty much crunch time.

Would be grateful to hear any advice and more important was it worth making the move. Is it a better life for kids. Are we bettee off in oz in terms of getting work and crime etc.. Schools and so on..

Many thanks

marl

Truthfully, I don't think you'll be better off in terms of finances and all that. Being a student will cost, you have young children who either need a parent at home or to be placed in child care, at a cost, so you can work and many other things.

You say better lifestyle but what exactly do you mean or hope to gain from migrating? If you are comfortable and happy in the UK, look to staying and making a few lifestyle changes there perhaps? Study nursing there first then migrate is another option? I'm not sure I'd migrate on a student visa with a family to support but everyone is different.

Migrating does work for many, but it's one of the hardest things people can do and make no mistake it is tough and the better lifestyle thing is much argued over by many migrants. I think it's a bit of a myth myself, some things are better, some things are not, it is what it is. That is from someone who has lived in numerous countries over the years.

Migrating does not mean a person will automatically suddenly have a rosier life or better quality. Financially it can take a big chunk and if you don't have a good run upon arrival with things falling into place it can be harder still. The world can seem against you.

Examine why you want to migrate. Ask yourself what you hope to gain from such a move. Better lifestyle is vague/broad and doesn't really give much indication of what you have in mind to improve or change in your lives. Be specific, what areas are failing for you at present? What doesn't work? What makes you think it will be better or work in Aus? Research. Then research some more.

Also be aware the homesickness thing can be a big issue for some. As can missing family or friends. Some cope better than others, some are not bothered, everyone is different and how you think you may feel/react might turn out different in reality.

I came out on a student visa at a time when it was MUCH easier to get pr afterwards. There was just me, hubby and the dog. I wouldn't even consider it if I had my time again. For starters it costs a fortune as an international student to study. As far as I know nurse students and their partners are limited to 20 hours a week work (I think it is just people doing a masters and beyond who are excluded from this). We rented a crappy house, bought two crappy cars and cheap furniture, thinking it would only be for two years.

Then the rules changed, and then again, and again. In the end it took three years from the END of the course to get pr, and I'm not tied to my employer (two years). We were all set to go back to the uk, were organising the dog etc. Many people who had thought they would be able to stay did end up leaving.

I know of one student nurse who had to because she couldn't get work after studying. Back in about 2011 it was reported on the news here in Adelaide that there were far more people training to be nurses than places for graduates and lots were forced to work in other industries. I'm not sure if that has changed or not.

You don't get any financial help here on temp visas. If you use me as an example, it took five years to get pr from getting here. That's 5 years of no child benefits, no help with child care costs etc.

Then we get onto is it a better life for kids. Personally I don't think so. It is different. The uk has lots of pluses, but so does oz. In my head the uk wins on everything except weather and space.

If I were you I would train in the uk and then apply to come later.

Guest ktotheb
I forgot to mention the huge stress it puts on you living in limbo for all that time. You don't know if you can stay, you can't make any proper plans, because you might have to leave. In the end it finished our marriage. I certainly wouldn't do it again if I could go back.

Are you still in adelaide? what made you stay? family/friends is not an issue for us as we have already relocated a fair distance from them all in the UK. We have thought long and hard and at this point,having just accepted an offer on our house cold feet is setting in. We are fully aware of costs but worried if it will all be worth it. We have an agent also but at the very least i come back with a qualification and can finally put to bed the 'what ifs' as well as being lighter in our wallet (!) I dont particularly want to study here as I would finish later in the uk than australia-ie more chance for things to change! And kids are young enough to adapt to going and coming back if need be. oh,its tough and commend anyone who has taken the plunge! sorry about your marriage too!

Yes I'm still in Adelaide. I worked so hard to stay, I'm bloody staying lol. I'm getting to the point of having kids though, and that does make me think twice. In the end though, I can't really afford to move back, and I don't like moving house, let alone countries lol. I was in limbo for so long my soul just wants stability. It took a large toll on the once adventurous, brave me I'm afraid.

Guest ktotheb
Yes I'm still in Adelaide. I worked so hard to stay, I'm bloody staying lol. I'm getting to the point of having kids though, and that does make me think twice. In the end though, I can't really afford to move back, and I don't like moving house, let alone countries lol. I was in limbo for so long my soul just wants stability. It took a large toll on the once adventurous, brave me I'm afraid.

well, i think you should be proud of yourself for sticking it out. many thanks to both of you for taking time out to respond to our post.

Is it a better life for kids. Are we bettee off in oz in terms of getting work and crime etc.. Schools and so on..

You'll find plenty of differing views on those questions if you read some of the (very many) threads on here. A search of key words like 'crime' and 'schools' etc will give you plenty to be going on with.

Generally, what's 'better' in one person's case may well not be in another's. Personally, I don't think there are more opportunities for kids - Aus has a third of the population of the UK and is (even in today's world of easy travel) quite geographically isolated. SA in particular struggles to keep its young people. As for work, some people fall into jobs easily enough but others struggle. Plenty say they'll be willing to do 'anything' when they arrive but after a few months of that reality the shine wears off.

At one time, moving to Aus meant a cheaper lifestyle, very affordable property etc (and a great exchange rate). Now, if I had a good job and settled circumstances in the UK, I'd think long and hard about making the move. Although if this was what I'd always wanted to do, then I'd probably still give it a go.

We came for the adventure, not because we thought it would be 'better' (which is just as well because we don't regard it as any better, just different), and it's been an enjoyable adventure. It wouldn't bother us one iota, though, if we were back in the UK still living our old lives.

Good luck!

Generally, what's 'better' in one person's case may well not be in another's.

Although if this was what I'd always wanted to do, then I'd probably still give it a go.

Very true.

Your post really sounded like you want support that you are doing the best thing for your family but I think people that have been here a while (few years perhaps?) will simply support what the previous posters have said. Ultimately it really is a gamble and potentially a big one at that!

If it makes you feel any better, my family are glad we came. Our kids have (or are in the process of lol!) growing up here. It's suited both of them and they are both very proud to be Australian. We consider ourselves very lucky to be here ....although it has to be said, we had a lovely life in the UK too.

That said, we had PR from the get-go which, from reading about other visas, made things more straightforward and easier financially.

Migrating is such a huge undertaking psychologically, I reckon you'll twist back and forth over coming/staying but if your hearts are set on the adventure -and it sounds like they are - then I wish you much luck and I guess PiA will see you over here soon!

:wubclub: LC

Also, consider what it would be like if you do HAVE to leave later on but have come to love the place. My husband was devastated at the thought of going back. I had accepted it, but he really was mortified when it was looking that way. I can only imagine it would be harder with children if they love it too.

Guest AliinAus

I think that if it's something you really want to do and want to take a gamble then go for it, however, please do your research, it is a gamble, the fees for international students are high. During term time, your visa allows you only to work 20 hours were week and you need to consider if that will be sufficient to pay the bills. I'm not sure if your children when they start school, will also be subject to international fees? It used to be that nursing was regarded as something that would always be on the lists, I notice e.g. that on the new WA sponsorship list that nursing was restricted (meaning there are fewer visa's on offer). Graduate nursing positions (after qualification) are also not guaranteed and the situation Blossom described in 2011 hasn't really got any better for places.

Good luck with what you decide.

Guest ktotheb
I think that if it's something you really want to do and want to take a gamble then go for it, however, please do your research, it is a gamble, the fees for international students are high. During term time, your visa allows you only to work 20 hours were week and you need to consider if that will be sufficient to pay the bills. I'm not sure if your children when they start school, will also be subject to international fees? It used to be that nursing was regarded as something that would always be on the lists, I notice e.g. that on the new WA sponsorship list that nursing was restricted (meaning there are fewer visa's on offer). Graduate nursing positions (after qualification) are also not guaranteed and the situation Blossom described in 2011 hasn't really got any better for places.

Good luck with what you decide.

Hi,

Thanks for posting all. Yes we have researched sooo much and this certainly isn't anything we have rushed into. There are pros and cons to any migration including those who gain pr before going over as there are no garantees anyone will settle. We have just been to the new forest and peppa pig world this weekend and autumn is here and it makes us appreciate what we already have. I love christmas and love the anticipation of snow so this weekend has certainly give us cold feet...no pun intended! Lol

Fwiw, I think the 'are we doing the right thing?' thing is normal when migrating. Pretty much everyone will at some point in the months before they go ask themselves that question or one along similar lines. Also the months leading up to going can be more emotional, you think about what you will be missing, look at things you take for granted with different perspective etc.

If you can work out if it's truly cold feet or a wobble it will be good. If it's cold feet and serious second thoughts, then you really need to ask some hard questions before going an inch further.

I still think a move on a student visa when you have 2 small kids is a big ask and as before, if you have a happy life in the UK, I'd be inclined to stay put.

Currently, international students are not allowed to apply for public hospital graduate positions as there are not enough jobs for their 'home grown' graduates.

The private hospital I work for, unofficially does not employ international grads, not sure about the others. Also, employers do not need to sponsor international registered nurses because of the glut so sponsored visas are getting very hard to come by.