Visa grant - a few questions re working rights for older kids

Guest stokesfamily

Guest stokesfamily
My 190 visa states no conditions, however it also clearly states regarding working in Australia, that my visa has been granted on the basis of a nomination by a State or Territory government & I am obliged to remain in the State or Territory for a period of 2 years. I wouldn't risk it without contacting & informing the state, honesty is the best policy!

Mandi

Hi Mandi

I received my grant notification yesterday (skilled nominated sub class 190) for me and the family. I am the primary visa holder and my children (21, 19 and 8) as well as my husband are secondary. It states NIL conditions and does not mention anything about working entitlements or conditions. Can I assume my older children can work or attend college wherever?

Debbie (Lincs)

Guest stokesfamily
Hi Debbie

Welcome to the forum.

On the subclass 190 your family will be permanent residents and have the same work rights as Australians.

Your older children can work / go to college.

Tee

Hi - Thank you for the quick response this is a mind field for me!! Sorry for my ignorance but does that mean we/they can go to Sydney rather than having to stay in Adelaide/ SA (who nominated me). We cant find any Performing Art Colleges on the web in Adelaide/SA but lots in Sydney.

Debbie

There is a fairly good performing arts course at Flinders Uni in Adelaide, plus I think, plus TAFE has a performing arts college http://www.tafesa.edu.au/adelaide-college-of-the-arts/acarts-performing-arts

However, the main places as you say are in Sydney (NIDA), WA (WAAPA) and Melbourne. My daughter has auditions for the first two of these in the next couple of weeks. They are notoriously hugely oversubscribed and very hard to get into though.

I think I am right in saying that although your 'children' can study and attend Further Education as soon as you get here, they won't be entitled to a HECs loan until you have citizenship, and I think - although someone might be able to confirm this - that noncitizens might have to pay FE fees upfront.