Driving Licence on Reccie

tomamylancaster

We are heading over to Adelaide in August for a 2 week reccie. Now, I know you can drive for 3 months on a UK driving licence, but if we went for a Reccie in 2014, would the 3 months be from when the visa was validated - or when we return for good in 2015, would we have 3 months from when we arrived to switch over to an SA licence?

We were just talking about what would be worth doing on a reccie whilst sight seeing to save time & stress when we finally landed for good!

I'd drive on your UK licence for your reccie. There really is no need to change it for that as you are on holiday, not resident.

Also you need 100 points (ID etc to prove who you are) and without a residential address and some AUS paperwork behind you you probably won't have enough points. Wait till you are actually living in Aus and apply for it then. You pay by the year so you'd also be wasting money in that respect.

3 months from when you actually move over is plenty of time to get it changed.

ETA - also now I think about it they issue a temp paper licence at the time you apply and it's a 2 week wait or so on the card one being delivered. You'd probably be in AUS when it arrived. And then you'd still have to change address when you move permanently.

Edited by snifter

But would the 3 months start when we validate the visa for the reccie, or would we still be OK leglly to drive on it for 3 months when we land in 2015?

What we don't want to end up with is arriving for good & having to run around panicing because our UK licence isn't valid because the 3 months began in August 2014! Am i making sense?! :)

Yes. I would think its from when you are resident and actually living in Aus.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Interstate+and+international+motorists/Motorists+from+overseas/Driving+with+an+overseas+licence

I read it that way anyway. Your train of thought about the 3 month clock ticking doesn't apply that I can see. I think you are overthinking it ;) You are validating yes, but it's a holiday, not you moving to become resident in Aus. When you actually migrate and become officially resident in Aus is when the 3 months would start ticking IMO.

Thanks Snifter! That makes sense!!

And seen as I tend to overthink everything, you're probably right!!

Yes. I would think its from when you are resident and actually living in Aus.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Interstate+and+international+motorists/Motorists+from+overseas/Driving+with+an+overseas+licence

I read it that way anyway. Your train of thought about the 3 month clock ticking doesn't apply that I can see. I think you are overthinking it ;) You are validating yes, but it's a holiday, not you moving to become resident in Aus. When you actually migrate and become officially resident in Aus is when the 3 months would start ticking IMO.

If it helps stop you worrying, I got pulled over a couple of times while on my temp visa as no Australian licence was linked to my car. I was driving on my uk one for five years. Neither time did they actually check what visa I was on, just saw the uk licence and sent me on my way. I'm guessing it's not on their system or they wouldn't have pulled me over.

As Snifter says the 3 month thing is for when you arrive as resident - if you came every year for 6 weeks for the rest of your life you wouldn't run out of "driving licence time". I know it seems like there's just so much to do to settle but sometimes it's easier not to worry - just make lists and tick them off; it really helps you to see what you've accomplished and can take away the overwhelming feelings.