Seniors Migrating to SA from Scotland

Guest yamahaggis

Guest yamahaggis

Hi All, My wife (68) and I (60) would like to remain in Australia permanently among our family and friends but we are not sure if this is possible. We have a son, daughter-in-law and grand daughter already in Australia. We have been visiting Australia every year since 2007 and are currently on a sub class 600 12 month tourist visa that we can extend by another 12 months by leaving and re-entering the country before the termination date. If there is any way we can migrate to Australia at our time of life I would be open to suggestions.

Hi,

My parents are here at the moment and are staying for 6 months (2 x 3 month blocks). They break their visa next month for a week and then spend another 3 months here.

How many children do you have? Do you have any other children outside Australia?

There are parental visas...a shorter but expensive one or one with a very long process time.

I think that there is a thread on here for parental visas which has useful info and you can do a search for it.

Best of luck.

Tamara

Guest Guest75

I'm not an expert but I think it will not be easy.

What you are doing seems a good compromise for now, but the drawback is that you need bases in both countries plus flights.

A few years ago I seemed to remember that was a way of "fast tracking" an older relatives by "buying" the visa????

It looked as if you had to have a fair bit of capital , arrange a decent income and take private medical as well.

Might work out cheaper still keeping to what you are doing???

I really hope an expert in this comes along..

This item has been discussed lots on this Forum, with Gollywobbler being the most knowledgeable.

My wife and I have taken this route, living in Australia for 3 years before returning back to our home in the Cotswolds. Basically there are the 2 routes to take if you qualify under the parent rules, i.e. that you have all of your children in Australia or at least 50% of your children living in Aus. I cannot remember the actual Visa Numbers, but one you apply for and go on a waiting list for up to 15 years, or you can pay to buy a Visa which can take up to 18 months to get. You would also have to qualify medically, and have medicals done for which you have to pay for. I believe there is also a way of applying whilst in Australia on a tourist Visa, but this can also take a long time, and you have to have Medical insurance cover whilst there.

I would suggest that you search out the previous threads on this as they will give more information.

One word of warning, if like us you rely on Pensions from the UK then your income is dependent on the exchange rate, and although it is improving, it is still a long way from when we moved to Australia in 2007 with a rate of 2.25 dollars to the pound. This can go up and down, I we have many English friends living in Australia who are now having difficulty with the cost of living there.

Guest yamahaggis
Hi,

My parents are here at the moment and are staying for 6 months (2 x 3 month blocks). They break their visa next month for a week and then spend another 3 months here.

How many children do you have? Do you have any other children outside Australia?

There are parental visas...a shorter but expensive one or one with a very long process time.

I think that there is a thread on here for parental visas which has useful info and you can do a search for it.

Best of luck.

Tamara

Hi Tamara, Many thanks for your reply. We have four children, three of whom are outside Australia so we wouldn't pass the balance of family test from a "Parent Visa" point of view. I have researched all I can from the official http://www.immi.gov.au website that is, on the whole very clear. What isn't clear is that should we apply for a parent visa or aged parent visa, during the application period (15 years), are applicants allowed to enter Australia, albeit on other visas unhindered during this application period of assessment? We are at present on our second sub class 676/600(new update) visa allowing us this extended stay in Australia, but we are not sure how many times the immigration authorities will allow these "boomerang" visits back and forward from the U.K., after all if this was allowed to continue ad infinitum, why bother with a permanent visa at all!

Your interest in my thread is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Derek & Tricia