I want to apply 189 visa as agricultural scientist. Is PhD period can count towards work experience when apply to VETASSESS for skill assessment?

I am an university lecturer as well (teaching in soil) Is this teaching experience can be use for agricultural scientist ? or need actual working experience with agriculture?
Thank you so much for your advice